Tension tight on raised shafts and very loose on unraised ones

Forums Weaving Discussion Tension tight on raised shafts and very loose on unraised ones

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Cheryl Openshaw
      Participant

I am a relatively new weaver and have threaded my Dorothy table loom with a simple warp, for practice and fun.  After tying the warp in bouts of 8 threads each and tightening them, I am having trouble with tension.  When I try to raise a shaft it is pulling those threads so hard that I fear they will break and at the same time, the threads in the other shafts that are not raised become very slack.  This happens regardless of which shaft I raise.  After a few raises, the entire warp becomes more slack than when I started.  I have tried re-tying the warp to the fabric beam 3 times and am still getting the same result.  What is causing this problem?  Please help!B4F56767-B020-40C1-B353-CC77321B2E2982DC88FA-55E2-40C3-A8A0-9570D2C1643F

Cheryl Openshaw
        Participant

I found another post about the same problem and it identified the solution.  My warp threads were going straight from the warp beam to the heddles without going over the back beam.  I was able to remove the back beam and re-install it under the threads and whala, problem fixed!!

Nina Kennedy
          Participant

I was just about to suggest that might be the problem and saw that you already figured it out. Been there/done that!

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Weaving Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.