Tencel and selvedges

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Ed Chapman
      Participant

Just a share…

I really enjoy designing and making tencel scarves. One issue I consistently have is tencel’s lack of tolerance for any abrasion at the selvedge edges. I can do temples ok, but they slow the weave down so much and I always stab myself. I also read somewhere that tencel likes to be moist- but the idea of spritzing while weaving just sucks the air out of the room (unless its linen, where its worth it).

I found a hint in a magazine about adding a thin fishing line monofilament thread to the floating selvedges, then removing them after taking the work from the loom. It works! Beautifully. I am getting razor accurate selvedges, my throw speed is great and I enjoy tencel even more.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Ed Chapman.
        Nina Kennedy
        Participant

Ed, I am intrigued! How do you remove the monofilament thread after taking the work from the loom? (I also love weaving with tencel).

Ed Chapman
          Participant

Nina: After you take the piece from the cloth beam, find the monofilament and clip it carefully. It slides right out. Be sure to get fine, unbraided monofilament.

I have it hanging over the back of my warp beam wound around a cardboard cone and pushed upside an identical cone. So you would need 4 cones. As you advance the warp, gently separate the paired cones and let the mono slide out the hole at the top.  I have added a picture below. The metal S hooks are holding the tencel selvedges, which I wind on the warp beam with the rest of the warp.

IMG_4080

Nina Kennedy
            Participant

So you find the end of the monofilament (at the end of the scarf) and just pull it out? It doesn’t make the rest of the scarf pucker as you are pulling it out?

Thanks for the photo – looks like a terrific idea!

Ed Chapman
              Participant

Nina:

I am 1/3 of the way through the last scarf in this warp. Once I get it done I will unload the cloth beam and see about removing the monofilament. I’ll report back then. I am hoping that I can find the monofilament and pull it through at each fringe gap and get it all out in one piece so I can recycle it. Keep your fingers crossed!

Nina Kennedy
                Participant

Can’t wait to hear how it works out!

Ellen Black
                    Participant

Thank you for sharing such great tips for working with tencel !

Ed Chapman
                    Participant

OK… It pulled right out. I had to cut it between each scarf so I only had about 90″ to pull out on each side, but it came out with no issues. Next time I am going to use a finer gauge to make it easier. The selvedges look great.

Remember to cut the waste monofilament up into pieces before throwing it away- that stuff is hard on wildlife.

Nina Kennedy
                      Participant

I am definitely going to have to try this!

Ed Chapman
                        Participant

Finished the 10 yard warp. Got three extra long scarves and some samples out of it. Not a single snapped thread. And yes I made one stripe to narrow in the warp. Oh well.Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 4.20.52 PM

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Ed Chapman.
                          Jacqueline
                          Participant

Beautiful! You would never have guessed they all came from the same warp as the colours are so different! I’ll have to give Tencel a go and try your tip!

Ed Chapman
                            Participant

I was inspired by a cone of variegated tencel… Now I’m looking at hand dyed ones on Etsy.

Nina Kennedy
                              Participant

Wow – very effective design! Is the tencel you use from one particular manufacturer or vendor or do you get it from different sources? The tencel is these scarves looks very nice.

Ed Chapman
                                Participant

Nina:

I usually get my yarns from Webs in Massachusetts, however their stock of Tencel got very low and I switched to Yarn Barn in Kansas earlier this year. Both retailers are very nice to work with and I have visited both locations. Webs offers a nice bulk order discount. Of course I get my wool from Jane!

Thanks for the encouragement.

Sue Anne Sullivan
                                  Participant

Ed, Have you tried using double floating selvedges with tencel? Does that work? I just got some lovely black and gold tencel I was planning to use for a Wall of Troy scarf for my stepmom for Christmas but a slip of paper with a bunch of warning tips arrived with the tencel yarn from Yarn Barn (yikes!) and I am getting a bit nervous about using it. I would prefer not to use the monofilament unless I really have to.

Sue Anne

Sue Anne Sullivan
                                    Participant

Update- I am using a double floating selvedge and so far so good on the selvedges, but wow, I am SO not enjoying the slipperiness of tencel. 🙁 Initially my warp and weft were both tencel. I was not at all happy with the way the weft slipped around and how hard it was to get an even beat from pick to pick.The tiniest tiniest difference in pressure or due to advancing the warp and the tension not being EXACTLY the same showed up in a big (and unattractive) way. So I started over and switched out the weft to 5/2 cotton. I will continue for awhile to see how this goes. Is there a certain kind of weave structure that is best for tencel? Plainweave only, maybe?

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • The forum ‘Season 3 – Pushing the Boundaries of Plain Weave’ is closed to new topics and replies.