Season 2, Episode 5 – More on Fibonacci & the Parrot Sample

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 2 – Colour & Design Season 2, Episode 5 – More on Fibonacci & the Parrot Sample

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Sandra
      Keymaster

Comments, questions, and anything else – this is the thread for the beautiful Parrot sample.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Sandra.
        • This topic was modified 2 years ago by Sandra.
        • This topic was modified 2 years ago by Sandra.
        bobbietweddle
        Participant

I am so excited to try the clasped weaving technique, with the cotton and silk.  I want to order the yarn, but am having difficulty matching the cotton to the silk.  I have all of your color cards, but the silk is printed and it is hard to know what the color is exactly.

Can you tell me what color of cotton matches the silk adobe, Birch and Salt spring sky?

It would be wonderful the have a navy silk?

Bobbie

Sandra
          Keymaster

Hi Bobbie – Jane has her silk dyed for her on Salt Spring Island by a wonderful small batch dyer.  It would be impossible to “match” the colours of cotton to the silk for several reasons.  Silk and cotton react differently to light and the sheen of the silk and differently again depending on whether you are using Bombyx or Tussah silk.  Sorry, to not come up with an easy quick answer for you.  Salt Spring Sky is a light grey, Birch is a light warm brown (I’m looking at a skein of Tussah from my stash – the Bombyx would be shinier), Adobe has a bit more red in the brown.  None of the colours would “match” simply because dyeing isn’t a totally exact science and we know from always trying to make sure that our knitting yarn, weaving yarn is from the same batch.  The colours we use are done by different dyers on different yarns.

What’s your idea with matching the yarns?

PS:  B.B. Blue is a beautiful blue silk – I have the remnants of a skein in Tussah sitting in front of me 😉

LindaIhle
            Participant

I’ve just started this project and also playing with my new Spring loom! I threaded an 8 shaft point twill and will be playing with tie-ups and treadling along with the recommended weft suggestions. Here’s a picture of my first sample. It’s not hemmed yet but I hope to be able to hem it so that I have a nice border on each end. I also increased the size of the warp to 24″ in the reed by adding 20 threads to each stripe.

fullsizeoutput_aec

Barbara
              Participant

I had so much fun playing with inlay.  Here I used sequined cotton from Maiwa as inlay.  The background weft is Bambu 12 in Ginger.  I inlaid the sequined weft every third row.

IMG_4472IMG_4473

Ginette
                  Keymaster

Wow Barbara, beautiful job on the sequin thread.  Isn’t it great to work with it!  Love Maiwa’s sequin.

Jo
                  Participant

Practicing a lot with clasped weft and find it a great look.  However,  aligning the point of the clasp along a straight vertical line in the warp is very challenging for me.  I have watched and rewatched the lesson.  I don’t mind a slow process, but I am having to adjust placement of the weft threads at least twice and up to four times each pick to get the thread intersection point to line up with the navy vertical line of the parrot warp.  I find it hard to predict where the weft will land as I’m beating.  This repeated beating is also abrasive to my left selvedge thread and I have had some breakage.  Any further advice?  I am wondering how this process is for others.

Sylvia
                      Participant

IMG_1151 2IMG_1150IMG_1152

Sylvia
                          Participant

Just posted my finished scarf. Used 2/20 silk as weft and 16 EPI. What a fun weave.

Need to hem and wet finish the other samples

Ginette
                            Keymaster

It looks stunning Sylvia!  Which colour did you use for the silk?

Sylvia
                                Participant

Thank  you. Jane is a wonderful teacher.

I used  Tiger Lily, Ariel’s Voice, Drago Fruit and Buddha Berry

Ellen Black
                            Participant

Beautiful work here, and inspiring !

Barbara
                              Participant

752FEAB5-1779-474A-9919-7C2F08505B00I fell in love with 2/2 stripes and weaving with colours a tone darker than the warp threads. Working on this brightened some days!

Ginette
                                  Keymaster

Beautiful Barbara, the centre towel sure looks different from the others!  All stunning 🙂

Ellen Black
                                    Participant

Beautiful ! This project tookbme way out of my comfort zone with color and loved it.

Barbara
                                    Participant

Thanks Gimette. I have managed to convince the wifi to add a couple more images. It was amazing how dull the colours became with 2/2 stripe using turquoise throughout.

B079ECDF-2188-4C0F-9557-FAEA74B7EA78D26F1C23-8C9B-4E2F-98D0-1118F3C1A0EF

Barbara
                                        Participant

Sorry Ginette. All thumbs to the iPad!

Geraldine
                                        Participant

<span style=”-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);”>Better late than never. Lol in my defence I did dye my own yarn.</span>

819D1742-54B2-4716-B5F6-1368060AE837

bobbietweddle
                                            Participant

Wonderful!!!

Ellen Black
                                              Participant

That is amazing dying your own cotton for your project.  Looks fantastic!

Ed Chapman
                                              Participant

Sylvia that is beautiful. Your fringes are perfect too.

Sandra
                                                Keymaster

Getting there!  Love the shawl I wove out of this sample even though the bright colours are not my “go to” choices.  I’m a muted, jewel tone person myself so the challenge for me was to try to feel comfortable with the brighter “cousins” 😉

DSLR-S-2018-09-08-14

Ellen Black
                                                    Participant

Love your shawl.  Did you use silk for thw weft?

Elizabeth
                                                    Participant

I’ve used about half the parrot warp with 8/2 cotton weft, and I’m ready to try something different by using up different wefts in my stash. I have 5/1 silk singles, 8/2 bamboo, and some mystery handspun wool singles (works out to ~12/13 epi when I wrapped it around a ruler.) If I open up the sett to 16 for the bamboo and then 12 for the wool, do you think will I get stable, drapey fabric for scarves? I have lots of the wool and bamboo for experimenting, but not a lot of the silk. Thanks 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Elizabeth.
                                                      Karen
                                                      Participant

A225CA5A-CDA2-481B-94EF-AD39E580BBF604B29BC6-DB4D-4DC1-AC4B-05BF69D2FD6A

David
                                                        Participant

Here are my Parrot samples – 8 towels from my warp. I swapped out two warp colours for colours in my stash, so my sequence is: Apricot, Turmeric, Hot Pink, Raspberry, Peacock.

parrot-stack-1600

Towel 1 – Woven square and then reversed the sequence.

parrot-01-1600

Towel 2 – Division of space into 3, DDLL in the centre section (I have a thing for this sequence as you’ll see)

parrot-02-1600

Towel 3 & 4 – I loved this one so much I made two the same same. Same as Towel 1, except with darker weft colours. Two of the weft colours were Olive and Chocolate. I loved these combinations so much I used them repeatedly throughout the rest of the warp.

parrot-0304-1600

Towel 5 – DDLL using Olive and Chocolate weft.

parrot-05-1600

Towel 6 – Layout is same same as Towel 2, except with Olive and Chocolate weft (same same as Towel 5)

parrot-06-1600

Towel 7 – Play time! I wove DDLL sequence with whatever I had left on my bobbins. I love the result.

parrot-07-1600

Towel 8 – The end of the warp approaches! Same same as Towel 7. I used some low contrast stripes in the last section of the towel with a view to the low contrast project coming up.

parrot-08-1600

Thanks for looking!

Sandra
                                                            Keymaster

Looks like you had fun, David!  Thanks for sharing your photos 👏

Jacqueline
                                                            Participant

Hi Sandra, I share your colour preferences to be more subtle and jewel toned…the quieter cousins. 😊 So much so that I opted not to complete the Parrot samples, even though there is so much to learn here. I really struggle with wearing and especially combining bright colours.

pkloost
                                                              Participant

Between each towel, do you just throw a few pics of contrast or bulky yarn, then continue weaving next towel, or do you hemstitch each one and leave space before starting the next one? Also, if you advance the warp and leave space, how much space,  and what do you do at the end of the space before starting the next towel? I hope this makes sense!

Ginette
                                                                  Keymaster

Hi pkloost,

You’re right, throw 2 picks of heavier yarn and just continue on weaving your next tea towel. In Season 1, Episode 10, video 10.8 – Bonus hemming, at the beginning, Jane actually demonstrates this on the blackboard if you’d like to have a quick view of this video.

dena.hirchak
                                                                  Participant

I have finally finished my parrot sample! This was such a fun warp to weave in the dead of dark winter. It was such a joy to look at every single day. My very favorite towel was woven with the color and weave warping sequence alternating the parrot color in the sequence with dark blue. I can’t stop staring at it. I will post photos in a separate post.

Sandra
                                                                      Keymaster

Isn’t it fun, Dena!  The sample sets are so much fun to weave because you can just fly with your own design after you have created your sample for each particular lesson.  Look forward to seeing a photo of the item that keeps catching your eye 😉

• #146100
                                                                          dena.hirchak
                                                                          Participant

Parrot photos as promised. I’ve moved on to the plaid sample, but I still love these parrot samples so much.

parrot6parrot5parrot3parrot2parrot1parrot_all

Sandra
                                                                        Keymaster

They are beautiful, Dena!  The rest of the samples in Season 2 will continue to get you excited and ready to design your own cloth.  Have fun!

• #146113
                                                                            dena.hirchak
                                                                            Participant

Thanks Sandra! Before this online guild, I was much more of a structure-oriented weaver. Have designed lots of overshot, twills and a little Krokbragd, but very little plain weave and color/graphic play. Very eye opening for me. Looking forward to all the future episodes!

• #147479
                                                                            Ginny
                                                                            Participant

The sample on the left is using 8/2 cotton on the warp and weft at 18 EPI.  On the second sample, I opened it up to 16 EPI and used 20/2 silk for the weft. I love the softness of this one. 3BE8C2AA-B1AA-4DA0-A3E8-BA50CB184D05

• #147480
                                                                                Sandra
                                                                                Keymaster

Aren’t the 8/2 cotton and 20/2 silk a wonderful compliment to each other for a lightweight shawl?  You’ll love wearing it 🙂

0
                                                                                • #147533
                                                                                  dena.hirchak
                                                                                  Participant

Beautiful Ginny! I need to get some silk in my stash.

0
                                                                                • #158890
                                                                                  Anne Brickman
                                                                                  Participant

Thoughts about Parrot, season 2 sample 3

I made some rookie mistakes. Besides that I am a rookie, must not be concentrating enough.
                                                                                    I warped this in two sections, and when I chained off the first half, I inadvertently removed the guide string, a.k.a The One True Path. I unchained to retrieve my string, but it does seem like the second section was slightly different length from the first half.
                                                                                    the finished towels sure have a lot of purple in them, and no actual purple cotton used. So fun to see the colors blend.
                                                                                    the weight needed to fix a broken thread, is heavier than I think. Two towels have a stripe from two broken threads. I fixed it but not until later did I think to try adding weight. That did the trick. I haven’t put them through the washer yet, hoping it evens out a bit.
                                                                                    The colors are so happy, it was a good project for February.

2
                                                                                  • #163569
                                                                                    SueMcd
                                                                                    Participant

Parrot, round 1 finished. Bottom three pieces are what I started with – apricot as largest square but I knew I parrothad issues with the warp (5 threads that weren’t holding their tension)..decided to “be bold” and cut the yellow off for the top two experiments – opened up to 16epi and used 2/10 merc cotton in similar colors for the top piece. Kept it at 16 epi and used the 2/8 again just to get a sample of cotton/cotton at that sett. Fun!!!!

Like it enough that I put a longer warp on with the peacock predominent. Off to play on that now!

0
                                                                                    • #163571
                                                                                      SueMcd
                                                                                      Participant

I’m weaving “round 2” of parrot with because I love the colors! Put this warp on with the peacock as the largest color and very excited because I’m going to use 20/2 silk for weft!

Finishing newbie question – I presume I would hand wash the cotton/silk fabric as Jane describes for silk in Session 1? Is that accurate?

Thanks so much!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by SueMcd.
                                                                                        0
                                                                                        • #163603
                                                                                          Sandra
                                                                                          Keymaster

You’ve got it, Sue.  Hand wash anything with silk, wool, or delicate fibres.

0
                                                                                        • #43232
                                                                                          Betty.allen
                                                                                          Participant

Such beautiful colors .  I just couldn’t wait to start this.  I’ve started watching  episodes from the beginning with each step.    It’s surprising the small things I missed the first viewing.  It’s always baby steps with me but with determination I’ll eventually get it right hopefully.  Such fun!  F1EA57AA-6185-4B44-885B-F764CF8A8692

1
                                                                                          • #43371
                                                                                            mbartlo
                                                                                            Participant

Here is my flock of parrot towels. Things got really fun at the end of the warp. I reconfigured the 130 ends of yellow into 3 sections of 30,80 and 20 ends give or take the ones I borrowed for dividers. Good enough to fool the eye into a Fibonacci series. I tried the clasp weft. Easier than I thought and discovered I liked the stripes that contained 2 picks per shed. It makes the stripes bolder. Now it’s time to head out the door on vacation. 692347C4-571E-4812-9BAD-BC92C496B1D66540FFDE-032D-4628-B52C-D0DFDE99B779

0
                                                                                            • #43373
                                                                                              Sandra
                                                                                              Keymaster

Inspiring, Mary!  Have a great vacation and try not to miss your loom too much😉

0
                                                                                              • #43520
                                                                                                Clare
                                                                                                Participant

Five towels on a 6-yard warp. I could weave this draft forever- tons of inspiration! I kept thinking of my childhood Parcheesi board game and did a clasped weft piece inspired by Piet Mondrian and his math-minded paintings.

IMG_5444

Mondrian

detail

1
                                                                                                • #43681
                                                                                                  Deborah Cannatella
                                                                                                  Participant

After I did the color sample for this project, I wove off two tea towels.  One I focused on gradation in the weft.  The other I used gradation and instead of using the blue I wanted to try my hand at clasped weft.  I loved it! I didn’t have any 16/2 but I did have a 10/2 in mercerized perle cotton in a chartreuse and a fluorescent orange..  I loved the colors added to this sample… but didn’t care for the slipperiness of the 10/2 merc cotton.  The selvedge was warped and undulating and the weave kept slipping if I gripped it in the wrong place.  I will definitely do this again, but will purchase some 16/2 in unmerc cotton to do this with. Of course, one can plainly see where I did 2 threads in two dents – an error in sleying the reed.JST Parrot Sample 2_edited-1JST Parrot Sample_edited-1

0
                                                                                                  • #44038
                                                                                                    Martha
                                                                                                    Participant

Color gamp finished!  I love the process.  What a great learning tool.432DAC68-B469-4C1F-9183-215992F32B3F

0
                                                                                                    • #44102
                                                                                                      Sandra
                                                                                                      Keymaster

They are beautiful, Annette!  Thanks for explaining how you got that “look” in the last one of your series.

0
                                                                                                      • #44232
                                                                                                        Ellen Black
                                                                                                        Participant

I am just getting started.  Using colors close to the suggested ones.  It is 8/4 from my stash.

Also today I rec my box from Jane with kits for the next two projects. 😃

CCD5D460-7EE5-46B5-BA8E-8868D60F640D

0
                                                                                                        • #44249
                                                                                                          Sandra
                                                                                                          Keymaster

Look forward to seeing what flies off your loom, Ellen!

0
                                                                                                          • #44344
                                                                                                            Maureen Janda
                                                                                                            Participant

Here are my Parrot samples, just in time to warp for the plaid lesson. Parrot was so fun, and though the colors weren’t what I would have picked on my own – I would have chosen safe blues and greens – I loved working with those clear vibrant colors. Thanks, Jane!

879A4933-D318-4618-B145-B76C8D60BCB1

1
                                                                                                            • #44971
                                                                                                              Carrie
                                                                                                              Participant

AAD57978-49A3-4406-B89D-FE91055A3ED6980724F3-D1BE-4C32-990E-7F6024BFA465CD6F7D1E-0290-47F8-BD17-8C18949EA724

19997A1D-6D91-4CB1-BF95-F81AA4F9BA73

Finally finished this set.  I did my sample according to the instructions.  I rethreaded to 15 epi and did 5 towels in boucle.  I did one towel with cleft weaving for the blue and pink at the bottom, which made a really soft, absorbent looking fabric.  I did my final one with some dk acrylic baby yarn, just for fun.

0
                                                                                                              • #45052
                                                                                                                bobbietweddle
                                                                                                                Participant

J8XggYFeRBKizYVrP%oHfg

Made my sample into placemats and napkins.  I lost a little of the fibonacci, in order to get the right size for placemats, but I still love them.

2
                                                                                                                • #45284
                                                                                                                  MaryAnn Kull
                                                                                                                  Participant

9CA8EF9D-BA55-4041-9903-B2473A9FBAEE356A8C87-0976-452A-B944-09093B8B0A73This sample was not as much fun as the previous one. I chose to warp the peacock version but found it limiting. I chose to keep each piece the size of the original sample with napkins in mind. Using the striping variations from sample 2,I was able to experiment with color interaction.

0
                                                                                                                  • #43355
                                                                                                                    Betty.allen
                                                                                                                    Participant

<span style=”-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);”>B0C254A0-202A-4318-A4BD-540CD3587D3CComplete.  I squeezed 5 towels out of 5 yard warp.  I loved this project.  I am learning so much and I can finally say my weaving is improving.  Not perfert just better.  I must say my navy zinger is twice as wide as it should be.  I just couldn’t figure out how to warp 3 picks.  I’m easily confused😩 In the middle top towel I squared my squares but reversed the color order.  It was all fun. Thanks Jane for sharing your talent.  </span>

0
                                                                                                                    • #43357
                                                                                                                      Ginette
                                                                                                                      Keymaster

They are beautiful Betty!  And that was fast weaving too 😉

0
                                                                                                                      • #43565
                                                                                                                        Ellen Black
                                                                                                                        Participant

They look great!

0
                                                                                                                        • #43521
                                                                                                                          Sandra
                                                                                                                          Keymaster

What fun you’ve had, Clare!

0
                                                                                                                          • #43567
                                                                                                                            Ellen Black
                                                                                                                            Participant

really like how you used the clasped weft.   I need to get this warped. and have some fun.

0
                                                                                                                            • #43566
                                                                                                                              Ellen Black
                                                                                                                              Participant

They look wonderful !

0
                                                                                                                              • #44055
                                                                                                                                Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                Participant

Great technique, and yours turned out great !

0
                                                                                                                                • #44056
                                                                                                                                  Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Turned out wonderful.   I am learning so much here.

0
                                                                                                                                  • #44100
                                                                                                                                    Annette Beasley
                                                                                                                                    Participant

So here’s my Parrot sample – hot colours aren’t usually my thing but I managed to get through it.  I think the most interesting one was sett at 16 and woven with 8/2 colour and 16/2 natural using the double bobbin shuttle, the way the yarns of different weight shift around each other created the visual illusion of movement in the cloth.

JST Parrot 2JST Parrot 1JST Parrot 3JST Parrot 4JST Parrot 5JST Parrot 6

1
                                                                                                                                    • #44115
                                                                                                                                      Annette Beasley
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Thanks Sandra!

0
                                                                                                                                      • #44359
                                                                                                                                        Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Those are wonderful !

0
                                                                                                                                        • #44972
                                                                                                                                          Ginette
                                                                                                                                          Keymaster

Carrie, they are wonderful!

0
                                                                                                                                          • #45059
                                                                                                                                            Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Those are great! How dod you do the edging?

0
                                                                                                                                            • #45286
                                                                                                                                              Sandra
                                                                                                                                              Keymaster

Love your idea of the napkins, MaryAnn.

0
                                                                                                                                            Viewing 22 reply threads
                                                                                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.