Season 2, Episode 5 – More on Fibonacci & the Parrot Sample

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Season 2, Episode 5 – More on Fibonacci & the Parrot Sample

This topic contains 56 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Ginette 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 386
    • Totals: 397
    • Weaving wonder

Hi pkloost,

You’re right, throw 2 picks of heavier yarn and just continue on weaving your next tea towel. In Season 1, Episode 10, video 10.8 – Bonus hemming, at the beginning, Jane actually demonstrates this on the blackboard if you’d like to have a quick view of this video.

pkloost
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2
    • Totals: 3
    • Weaving weeble

Between each towel, do you just throw a few pics of contrast or bulky yarn, then continue weaving next towel, or do you hemstitch each one and leave space before starting the next one? Also, if you advance the warp and leave space, how much space,  and what do you do at the end of the space before starting the next towel? I hope this makes sense!

Jacqueline
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 53
    • Totals: 56
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Sandra, I share your colour preferences to be more subtle and jewel toned…the quieter cousins. 😊 So much so that I opted not to complete the Parrot samples, even though there is so much to learn here. I really struggle with wearing and especially combining bright colours.

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 435
    • Totals: 462
    • Weaving wonder

Looks like you had fun, David!  Thanks for sharing your photos 👏

David
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2
    • Totals: 2
    • Weaving weeble

Here are my Parrot samples – 8 towels from my warp. I swapped out two warp colours for colours in my stash, so my sequence is: Apricot, Turmeric, Hot Pink, Raspberry, Peacock.

parrot-stack-1600

Towel 1 – Woven square and then reversed the sequence.

parrot-01-1600

Towel 2 – Division of space into 3, DDLL in the centre section (I have a thing for this sequence as you’ll see)

parrot-02-1600

Towel 3 & 4 – I loved this one so much I made two the same same. Same as Towel 1, except with darker weft colours. Two of the weft colours were Olive and Chocolate. I loved these combinations so much I used them repeatedly throughout the rest of the warp.

parrot-0304-1600

Towel 5 – DDLL using Olive and Chocolate weft.

parrot-05-1600

Towel 6 – Layout is same same as Towel 2, except with Olive and Chocolate weft (same same as Towel 5)

parrot-06-1600

Towel 7 – Play time! I wove DDLL sequence with whatever I had left on my bobbins. I love the result.

parrot-07-1600

Towel 8 – The end of the warp approaches! Same same as Towel 7. I used some low contrast stripes in the last section of the towel with a view to the low contrast project coming up.

parrot-08-1600

Thanks for looking!

Ellen Black
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 126
    • Totals: 132
    • Weaving wonder

Love your shawl.  Did you use silk for thw weft?

Karen
    Participant
    • Replies: 7
    • Totals: 7
    • Weaving wizard

A225CA5A-CDA2-481B-94EF-AD39E580BBF604B29BC6-DB4D-4DC1-AC4B-05BF69D2FD6A

Elizabeth
    Participant
    • Replies: 6
    • Totals: 6
    • Weaving wizard

I’ve used about half the parrot warp with 8/2 cotton weft, and I’m ready to try something different by using up different wefts in my stash. I have 5/1 silk singles, 8/2 bamboo, and some mystery handspun wool singles (works out to ~12/13 epi when I wrapped it around a ruler.) If I open up the sett to 16 for the bamboo and then 12 for the wool, do you think will I get stable, drapey fabric for scarves? I have lots of the wool and bamboo for experimenting, but not a lot of the silk. Thanks 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Elizabeth.

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 435
    • Totals: 462
    • Weaving wonder

Getting there!  Love the shawl I wove out of this sample even though the bright colours are not my “go to” choices.  I’m a muted, jewel tone person myself so the challenge for me was to try to feel comfortable with the brighter “cousins” 😉

DSLR-S-2018-09-08-14

Ed Chapman
    Participant
    • Topics: 35
    • Replies: 111
    • Totals: 146
    • Weaving wonder

Sylvia that is beautiful. Your fringes are perfect too.

Ellen Black
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

That is amazing dying your own cotton for your project.  Looks fantastic!

Ellen Black
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Beautiful ! This project tookbme way out of my comfort zone with color and loved it.

bobbietweddle
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 12
    • Totals: 15
    • Weaving wonder

Wonderful!!!

Geraldine
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 12
    • Totals: 13
    • Weaving wonder

<span style=”-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);”>Better late than never. Lol in my defence I did dye my own yarn.</span>

819D1742-54B2-4716-B5F6-1368060AE837

Barbara
    Participant
    • Replies: 11
    • Totals: 11
    • Weaving wonder

Sorry Ginette. All thumbs to the iPad!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.