Tell us what you think about Season 2: Episode 3 – Colour.. Colour.. more Colour

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Tell us what you think about Season 2: Episode 3 – Colour.. Colour.. more Colour

This topic contains 38 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Sandra 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Jean
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 7
    • Totals: 7
    • Weaving wizard

Totally inspired and empowered by Jane’s studio workshop I came up with what I am calling my “colour palette kit”. I’ve had so much fun with it that I wanted to share, in case anyone else would enjoy this as much as I am. I don’t have room to have all of my cones spread out all of the time, and this is so handy (something I can work with while I wait for the next online guild episode :)). The setup has also made it very obvious that nature abounds with analogous colour schemes.

colour-wheel

Rather than make a sample card, as Jane suggests, I wound my samples of 2/8 cotton (augmented with a few 4/8 and boucle to round out the colour wheel) onto embroidery floss bobbins and mounted them on a brass ring from the dollar store.  I know myself well enough that I could obsess for far too long finding the “perfect” picture from which to pull a palette (especially because I want to use my own photos) so I am working my way through last year’s desk calendar. When I am finished I will have a book of 50+ colour palettes. I made a little window to focus my attention and avoid hyperventilating with possibilities. I know that when I get to December I can start at the beginning, move my window, and come up with a different palette on the same picture. After watching this latest episode I think I will go back to the mountain picture here and do the whole image.

example2      example1

I’m just practicing training my eye. When I take the next step to playing with graphics and planning a project I’ll be able to pull a page, put it in a sketch book, and get out the pencil crayons and big cones.

On a practical note, I couldn’t find bobbins in town and ended up ordering plastic ones; the notches are a bit sloppy for 2/8 so I would recommend the cardboard ones if you can find them.

Jean
    Participant
    • Replies: 7
    • Totals: 7
    • Weaving wizard

Cheryl, it’s everywhere, isn’t it?!

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 413
    • Totals: 439
    • Weaving wonder

Way to go, Cheryl!  😁

Cheryl
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 17
    • Totals: 18
    • Weaving wonder

IMG_2322

Watched Episode 3 and walked into the grocery store.

Wendy Knudson
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 22
    • Totals: 24
    • Weaving wonder

If I’m on my phone or iPad I tend to do screenshots of pictures I like. I know there’s a way to snip on a Macbook but I always have to look it up.

I find Pinterest has more variety than magazines. The photos of parrots and tropical fish have amazing colors!

Angela
    Participant
    • Replies: 9
    • Totals: 9
    • Weaving wizard

Hi Wendy,

Do you use the ‘snipping’ tool to cut out photos in eMagazines to save the photos or do you use a different tool?

edit: I just went to our public library digital magazine collection and tried snipping from the magazines and saved to a folder on my computer. Works great.

Thanks Angela

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Angela. Reason: add info

Inga
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 21
    • Totals: 22
    • Weaving wonder

Fantastic!!!!!!!!

I feel liberated in a way.  I was always agonizing about colours.  Should I, would I.  Dumb!  These are cotton towels – they can be any colour in any combination.  And what Jane says, make 70.  And this is fantastic idea.  First, I don’t have to think what to weave next, and once all are done, there should be no more questions of what colour go with what and in what proportion.  I have loads of colour pencils,  sketch books, and files of photographs.  I just needed a kick.

Thank a bunch Jane! You are so generous with sharing your knowledge. You are definitively one of the best teachers I’ve ever had chance to learn from (and I am not talking about weaving teachers only).

Cheers,

Inga

Wendy Knudson
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 22
    • Totals: 24
    • Weaving wonder

Amazing! And so easy! One thing I did last night was create a Pinterest board for my colour inspirations as I didn’t have any magazines in the house (I read them digitally these days). More selection this way too.  I have a high quality colour laser printer and can print out the ones I want to use.

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 413
    • Totals: 439
    • Weaving wonder

Tell us about your explorations and inspirations with colour……………

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.