Tell us what you think about Season 2: Episode 3 – Colour.. Colour.. more Colour

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 2 – Colour & Design Tell us what you think about Season 2: Episode 3 – Colour.. Colour.. more Colour

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      Sandra
      Keymaster

Tell us about your explorations and inspirations with colour……………

Wendy Knudson
        Participant

Amazing! And so easy! One thing I did last night was create a Pinterest board for my colour inspirations as I didn’t have any magazines in the house (I read them digitally these days). More selection this way too.  I have a high quality colour laser printer and can print out the ones I want to use.

Inga
          Participant

Fantastic!!!!!!!!

I feel liberated in a way.  I was always agonizing about colours.  Should I, would I.  Dumb!  These are cotton towels – they can be any colour in any combination.  And what Jane says, make 70.  And this is fantastic idea.  First, I don’t have to think what to weave next, and once all are done, there should be no more questions of what colour go with what and in what proportion.  I have loads of colour pencils,  sketch books, and files of photographs.  I just needed a kick.

Thank a bunch Jane! You are so generous with sharing your knowledge. You are definitively one of the best teachers I’ve ever had chance to learn from (and I am not talking about weaving teachers only).

Cheers,

Inga

Angela
            Participant

Hi Wendy,

Do you use the ‘snipping’ tool to cut out photos in eMagazines to save the photos or do you use a different tool?

edit: I just went to our public library digital magazine collection and tried snipping from the magazines and saved to a folder on my computer. Works great.

Thanks Angela

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Angela. Reason: add info
                Wendy Knudson
                Participant

If I’m on my phone or iPad I tend to do screenshots of pictures I like. I know there’s a way to snip on a Macbook but I always have to look it up.

I find Pinterest has more variety than magazines. The photos of parrots and tropical fish have amazing colors!

Cheryl
                Participant

IMG_2322

Watched Episode 3 and walked into the grocery store.

Sandra
                  Keymaster

Way to go, Cheryl!  😁

Jean
                    Participant

Cheryl, it’s everywhere, isn’t it?!

Jean
                      Participant

Totally inspired and empowered by Jane’s studio workshop I came up with what I am calling my “colour palette kit”. I’ve had so much fun with it that I wanted to share, in case anyone else would enjoy this as much as I am. I don’t have room to have all of my cones spread out all of the time, and this is so handy (something I can work with while I wait for the next online guild episode :)). The setup has also made it very obvious that nature abounds with analogous colour schemes.

colour-wheel

Rather than make a sample card, as Jane suggests, I wound my samples of 2/8 cotton (augmented with a few 4/8 and boucle to round out the colour wheel) onto embroidery floss bobbins and mounted them on a brass ring from the dollar store.  I know myself well enough that I could obsess for far too long finding the “perfect” picture from which to pull a palette (especially because I want to use my own photos) so I am working my way through last year’s desk calendar. When I am finished I will have a book of 50+ colour palettes. I made a little window to focus my attention and avoid hyperventilating with possibilities. I know that when I get to December I can start at the beginning, move my window, and come up with a different palette on the same picture. After watching this latest episode I think I will go back to the mountain picture here and do the whole image.

example2      example1

I’m just practicing training my eye. When I take the next step to playing with graphics and planning a project I’ll be able to pull a page, put it in a sketch book, and get out the pencil crayons and big cones.

On a practical note, I couldn’t find bobbins in town and ended up ordering plastic ones; the notches are a bit sloppy for 2/8 so I would recommend the cardboard ones if you can find them.

Jane
                          Keymaster

You are brilliant Jean……thank you so much for sharing this idea.

Can you share it on the Ravelry page too 🙂

Jean
                              Participant

Thanks, Jane. Reposted to Ravelry as requested.

Deborah Cannatella
                            Participant

Color inspirationIMG_0567_edited-1

This was such a great episode. I’ve used this method before… taking magazine pages of images i like, tearing them out, then crumpling and folding and flattening and looking at the shapes for abstract painting. But I hadn’t thought of drawing from these same images for weaving.  So I grabbed an image of a dress that I liked because of the pattern/colors and pulled this together.  I will be doing more of this, and sketching with colored pencils… can’t wait!

Sharon
                              Participant

I have a practical question.  How do you store the pile of inspiration pictures from magazines?  I could paste them in a book, but then they are not available to put with notes, sketches, yarn samples etc.  I could put them in a file folder, but that is not secure…pictures all over the floor.  I could take a camera/phone picture and store them on the computer and hope I can find them later.   How do others manage this?

mgwerner212
                                Participant

Love, love. love this episode! I think I have thought that about every episode so far. I am destined to be a “life member”. I am learning so much.  Jane, thank you so much for EVERYTHING you (and your great staff) are putting into this wonderful online guild… and your wonderful Canadian accent makes me so homesick. I am an Okanagan girl living in Texas. It is lots of fun but there’s no place like home!

Maureen Janda
                                  Participant

A spectacular, dizzying, wonderful episode. I’d hoped for this when I first saw some of your towel examples and couldn’t imagine being able to come up with the beautiful color combinations. I know I’ll watch this episode again and again.

Shelley
                                    Participant

My 6 year old twin grandkids inspired by the episode I was watching. 1331C3F3-0726-4A87-960F-7BCE5327C9E0

Ginette
                                        Keymaster

Too cute Shelley!  Looks like they made you some patterns for future weaving, maybe a couple of blankets for them?  🙂

Sandra
                                        Keymaster

How delightful, Shelley!  It brings back memories of when our set of fraternal grandchildren were really interested in what Nana was doing.  They wove, helped me create and dye in natural dyes and indigo vats.  Lots of fun and memories.  Now they are 14 and a bit too cool for that at the moment.  Hopefully they will grow back into it but they certainly have an understanding of cloth.  You made my day!!!

Chrysalis
                                          Participant

Ecstatic at the freedom and pleasure I’m enjoying!  Organized my stash – complete with sample cards.  SO much to choose from… freedom in a little order.  Thanks for the inspiration.8-2 yarns small8-2 yarn card

Ginette
                                              Keymaster

Looks great!  Nice big colour card!

wildbunchnz
                                              Participant

This episode was an absolute revelation to me.  I have struggled with colour and usually go for the safe option of warp and weft being the same.  Thank you Jane for opening the doors and windows to colour.  I now feel confident to incorporate this into my weaving.  I’m loving this online guild, best spent money ever.

Ruth Johnson
                                                Participant

Colour has always scared me a bit….well a lot actually. I tend to play it very safe. I decided to take a leap and trust this process. I picked a photo I loved and pulled colours. The warp did not look appealing to me at all but I kept at it and the colour magic happened as I wove! I feel like I have been let out of a very limited box of boring crayons and now I have the giant pack I always wanted!!IMG_1161IMG_1159fullsizeoutput_16

Sandra
                                                  Keymaster

WOW, Ruth!  Wonderful, exciting colours and textiles!!!  👏👏👏

Jacqueline
                                                    Participant

I have the same apprehensions about working with colour as you do (did!) Ruth! Thanks for posting, this is inspirational and gives me hope!

Maureen Janda
                                                      Participant

I sat down with a stack of decorating magazines and flipped through looking for inspiration. No color! Everything was neutral white and shades of brown or grey. So disappointed! I’ll have to look online. Has anyone found a website with pictures/photos that inspire you?

Sandra
                                                          Keymaster

Have you tried Pinterest?  I also enjoy National Geographic magazines, when I can get hold of them, as well as using photos I’ve taken to develop a colour way.  There are so many places to find inspiration, I look forward to seeing what others suggest.

ingie
                                                          Participant

Where is the pdf for the “peacock” towel?

Thanks.

Sandra
                                                              Keymaster

It’s a PDF attached to the most recent episode – Season 2, Episode 5 – More on Fibonacci aka Parrot sample.  You’ll find it attached to the second video, Parrot at the Loom.  Have fun!

Jean
                                                              Participant

I LOVE it!! That’s how I feel about it. SO much fun!!IMG_20180503_192646_232

Ellen Black
                                                                  Participant

I love your color choices ! Looks great

Jean
                                                                      Participant

Thank you, Ellen. This was the inspiration :

20180503_222101

margreth
                                                                    Participant

6AD5D1AA-5E73-4877-B8FB-4541757686FEHave seen all episodes now (love them all and learned a lot) and am very motivated to start warping. I decided to weave tea towels- found a picture I like and yarn from my stash. 0226BEBE-3D22-45A9-A1AC-48A2946B580A

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by margreth.
                                                                      fudsy1
                                                                      Participant

I spent the evening cutting out photos from magazines I collected at the library’s free table. Then today I took the time to clean my stash of 8/2 cotton organize them and  create my own color cards so I can see what I own. I do have the sample kits for the rest of season 2 but add them to my color cards as I open each kit.  thanks so much for the idea now I’m inspired to create something using everything learned from this episode

IMG_1720

Caroline
                                                                        Participant

I found this really helpful. I used it to weave a shawl with a wool weft/cotton warp on the Parrot warp.  I wove the first Parrot sample then laid my colour wheel on top and surrounded it with my cotton bobbins and wools.  This was very effective and I was able to choose the colours that worked much more quickly.

Parrot #1

The shawl is at 12 epi and I am really pleased with the result.  I like the drape and feel.  Less woolly and lighter with the cotton warp.

Parrot #4

I’m going to do some more napkins. And … think about what kind of shawl I want to do as another project.

• #81664
                                                                            Ginette
                                                                            Keymaster

What a great idea Caroline to figure out what you’ll use! Love that you were able to use up your stash for that beautiful shawl. Did you mix different wool size yarns for the shawl? At 12 EPI  that would make it so drapy!

• #81810
                                                                            Caroline
                                                                            Participant

I used 12 epi for the shawl and the wool was very close to all the same size. There were different makes of yarn.  Some is very old, over 30 years, so I really would like to use it up.

• #97542
                                                                              Judith
                                                                              Participant

I am in the process of threading my loom for the color color and more color sample and I somehow have one section of the warp on backwards.  Not sure how I did that.  Clearly taking it from the warping mill to the loom I messed something up.  But I don’t want to try and take the whole warp off the beam, turn the one section it over and start again. I know that won’t end well!   But before I get it completely threaded – do you think it will still be ok in terms of learning the lesson? Thanks.

0
                                                                                • #97556
                                                                                  Sandra
                                                                                  Keymaster

You’ll be fine and weaving your own creation!  Yours will be, and I quote Jane, “Not right and not wrong – just different”.  Enjoy the ride and post pictures so we can see what you’ve created.  😄

0
                                                                                • #154467
                                                                                  Allyson Marbut
                                                                                  Participant

Ran into this on searching stuff … great color combinations to explore.

https://www.pinterest.com/KGThreads/palette/

0
                                                                                Viewing 27 reply threads
                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.