Tell us what you think about Season 2: E1 Intro to Colour and Design

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 2 – Colour & Design Tell us what you think about Season 2: E1 Intro to Colour and Design

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      Jane
      Keymaster

Hi Kids,

I know you have all been waiting patiently for this year to start.  Let us know what you think. 🙂

Korina
        Participant

Fabulous episode 🙂  I am really looking forward to all the playing with color and design.  I ordered the sampler set, however I am wondering if there are supplies we will need in the next few months so I can order it once and pay for shipping once.  What if we want to put on a longer warp for the samples (big fan of long warps here)??   And of course budget for it!  Was also wondering what reeds we need.  I believe I have a 12 dent reed and a 15.  I need to get a 6 dent for mohair as well.

I’m thinking it would be great to put together a binder of some sorts to hold the pdf’s and snippets of cloth?  Would be fabulous to start that now and look back in several years!

Jane
            Keymaster

Hi Kids

I have had quite a few phone calls this morning asking the same or similar questions as Korina, so I thought I would answer them here in this note.

In the first discussion about sett 2.1.3 I tell you the reeds I used to make those samples.  I used an 8 and a 12.

Everyone might want to keep notes as you go along, just like in a classroom 🙂  And remember to watch the videos a 2nd time because you always pick up so much more the next time around.

There are several reasons why I am not releasing all the samples and kits at one time.  I really want you to weave them in sequence and I want to answer the questions in sequence.  The 2nd reason is that it would be difficult for us to stock everything used in all the samples. That is why I am releasing them one at a time.  Each kit provides enough yarn for you to weave an 8 yard warp which is a great place to start.  Everyone is at different places in their weaving careers. For some weavers an 8 yard warp might be too long for them.  I am not going to weigh in on those decisions because they are up to each member of the guild.

We will have the 2nd warp ready to go in another few weeks so perhaps you could wait and order them both at the same time, that would definitely save on shipping.

One more thing,……in regards to opening up the setts of the warps, if you are working on small table looms you won’t be able to do that part without have to loose some of your warp threads.  What I can guarantee is that you will have 8 yds worth of amazing options at the original width and sett 🙂

Korina
                Participant

Makes sense!  An 8 yard warp is doable, the page for ordering the sampler supplies don’t say what is included or how long of a warp.  I’ve a singles linen warp to try next, I might be a bit crazy.  I’m off to find an 8 dent reed for samples!  Thank you!

Wendy Knudson
              Participant

I haven’t finished watching all of episode 1 but I am so excited about what’s to come. The samples are amazing! I’ve always had issues with weaving a balanced plain weave using 20 epi so your explanation about using 18 epi makes so much sense.

I already have the yarn required for the first project in my stash so I’m ahead of the game.

MJ
                Participant

I have been very excited for today to come!  I just watched the first two segments and am excited about what we will be doing!  So, I have now ordered my kit so I will be ready to begin soon!  I only very recently found out about this online guild (through watching a video by Felicia Lo who was talking about working on the final project last year) and as soon as I came on site and looked around, knew this is just what I need!

You see, I was gifted a Louet David loom a few years ago and have yet to use it. (I also had the great misfortune to take a fall that resulted in a broken wrist, but happy to report that it is now fully healed.)  I am not new to weaving, just to this type of loom.  I have Harrisville Designs looms.  I am so excited that I will be able to get specific help with my David and also ordered the DVDs to help get me started.

I will be working on both classes at the same time to learn everything I can about my loom and eager to learn your methods as well!  I love your enthusiasm and style and know it will be a good year!  –MJ

Isabelle
                  Participant

Great show as always. One question on the overshot throws: what is the pattern weft (I am assuming the warp is 8/2 cotton)? Thanks! isabelle

Jane
                      Keymaster

Hi Isabelle,

The warp was 8/2 and the pattern weft was 8/4.

Hope this helps.

Jane

Robin Nixon
                      Participant

Hi Jane. I am very excited about the Guild this year. As I already have the samples, I will be adjusting the pattern to make tea towels instead.

Jacquelynne
                        Participant

I think the video was great, and certainly the directions and info as to what colors and amounts of yarn needed during the year is a big, big help.  I count 26 colors/hues.  That will take care of a lot of old stash.

Jacquelynne

Ellen Black
                          Participant

Learning so much.   I am going to re watch the new episode ( and others)  and takes notes this evening.  I have some 8/2 in my stash, but just a few colors. I am just starting my weaving adventures, and building.  Does it matter if mercerized or not?   I think I will be ordering the kit when the second one is available.  Thank you Jane !

Sandra
                            Keymaster

I haven’t used much mercerized cotton so I’m not sure if you can get it in 8/2 cotton.  If you can, then you certainly can use it in the warp.  You could also use it in the weft if you keep an eye on balancing your cloth as you weave it.  Jane will go further down this path for as as we start to design our own cloth and change our setts.

Ellen Black
                                Participant

I have some cotton,  8/2 mercerized.   well.  it’s all practice and sampling, so might try it combined will see.   Thanks.

Jacqueline
                                Participant

Brilliant episode as always : here is my first sample, couldn’t wait to take it off to see how it turned out 🤪 Tried Jane’s way of hemming 😊A076A9FA-0B08-4E5B-A12C-CADD45A80D0E

Ginette
                                    Keymaster

Wow Jacqueline, it looks great!  I hope you’ve got warp left on your loom as you’ll want to watch the next lessons coming out of Feb 8th before weaving more as there’s so many ideas Jane presents for this sample, it’ll be exciting!

Ginette

Jacqueline
                                        Participant

I warped 8.5 yards- I’m going to have to contain myself and cover my loom up 🤪🇬🇧

Clarissa Kiss
                                      Participant

Hi!

I found what Jane said about the sett for overshot and other supplemantary wefts very interesting. I’m planning a tea towel overshot project right now in 2/8 cotton and I think I might try it at 16 epi. Is that too far of a leap or would 18epi be better for a tea towel?

It would be a good chance for me to try resleying my beam and sample but I wanted to see what Jane/everyone thought. Thanks!

Clarissa

Jurate
                                        Participant

Where do I go to find the first episode of season two? I only see the season one episodes listed. Thanks

Jurate

ETA: WHoops. Never mind. Now when I open the episodes list from the left side menu I can see it. I tried four times. SHeesh.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Jurate.
                                          Jacqueline
                                          Participant

Hi Jane, just have a queation, can I do it as in the picture? Want to experiment at the end of the warp with twill and satin. I am working very hard watching all your video’s from my lazy chair…love them. Jacqueline vd Horstwpo7_2018-01-30_19-16-43

Sandra
                                            Keymaster

Hi Jacqueline,  I don’t see a tie-up for either satin or twill in your draft, maybe I’m missing something.  If I wanted to play with twill for the balance of my warp, I would tie-up the treadles in 8 shaft twill and the same goes if I wanted to play with satin – I’d do the satin tie-up.  Let us know what you end up doing!

Jacqueline
                                                Participant

Thank you Sandra, Just wondered if this tie-up would do for the plans Jane has for the first samples?

I did not add the pictures with twill or satin tie-up, so you are not missing anything 🙂

Could you explain why you would choose eight shafts rather than ten?
                                                  I came up with ten because of the sequense of colours in the warp, (tens or multiples of ten threads)

Thank you! Happy weaving!

Jacqueline H.

Jane
                                                    Keymaster

Hi Jacqueline,

We are weaving everything in this workshop in plain weave threaded  on 4 shafts using 2 treadles for plain weave.

You can thread this on a greater number of harnesses if you want to do 8 shaft twills or 10 shafts if you want to do Satin (but you will need to thread in blocks)

However I will not be covering any of those structures.

We have colour sequences of 10 ends but they are just threaded 1,2,3,4 over and over and over.  With plain weave it doesn’t matter which colours are on what harnesses. (with the exception of log cabin or repp weave which we are doing in 2019)

You don’t have to wait much longer.  It will all become crystal clear next week.

Jane

Jacqueline
                                                        Participant

Thank you Jane and Sandra, I will be patient! Also I thank you for all the great videos from last year, I need to ‘un’struggle and try easypiecy. . .

Sandra
                                                    Keymaster

Good morning Jacqueline- at least it is here!  I have a David loom as well and I’m planning to have him warped on 4 shafts and 2 treadles waiting for Jane’s next episode to send us down a rabbit hole playing with all the ways you can use sett and graphic to change your cloth.  I’m guessing that we’ll be having so much fun with the wonderful ways Jane is showing us, we won’t have any warp left.   Why don’t you wait with me to see what she has in store for us – you can always do whatever you want afterwards!

Carrie
                                                      Participant

I really enjoyed this episode and look forward to weaving some of the samples this year.  I am an absolute beginner.  Last year my goal was to buy a used floor loom and weave something.  I bought an old Fanny that needed a lot of sanding and cleaning and some new parts.  I managed to clean it up, figure out how it works and weave a couple of rugs.  Jane’s episodes were so helpful in figuring it all out.  I love that there is a Fanny in many of the episodes….  I am rewatching some of them in preparation for this year.  This year my goal is to weave tea towels.  I am going to order the sample kits and weave most of my samples as tea towels.  I don’t know if I will want to use them for dishes….we’ll see.  I may not do all of the retreading for the samples, but will get whatever I feel comfortable with out of each episode.  If I have time (between kids, knitting, sewing etc), I might even attempt a wool blanket.  Something else I love about Jane’s teaching is that she doesn’t make me feel that I need to buy everything, but makes use of things that she already has.  Anyway, looking forward to a fun year!

Ettabb
                                                        Participant

I’m a new Online Guild member and this has been so helpful already. I haven’t started the samples yet, but I just finished a scarf at 20 ends per inch that had a pretty good but not great drape. After watching this episode and the episode on sett from last year, for the first time in my weaving life I resleyed the remaining warp in my loom. I wove a sample at 18 ends per inch. At first it seemed ridiculously open, but it was so much easier to get a balanced weave, and the final sample drapes much better. I’m excited! It never would have occurred to me to resley my warp like that, or that I might be struggling with a balanced weave because of the sett, not because of the weaver.

This has really convinced me of the importance of sampling… I’ve always resisted it, but no more.

jacobsgate
                                                          Participant

Where are the instructions for assignment one and two?  I think I am going to purchase yarns for course at one time so will not be getting instructions in kits.  Thank you.

Ginette
                                                              Keymaster

Hi Jacobsgate,

The list of the colours for samples and how many cones each are on the January 22nd email that Jane sent out to the guild members.  Also, at the bottom of the email, there’s a link to the Asymmetry draft.  Let us know if you didn’t get the email and we’ll get one to you.

Ginette

Maureen Janda
                                                              Participant

Before I go off to watch the second episode I wanted to be sure to compliment you on the first. Not only did I learn a great deal about sett and sampling, but the sample fabrics and towels you showed throughout the episode were just stunning! I’m hoping to improve my color sense and venture outside my safe zone of blues and greens and combine colors in a new and interesting way.

Thank you, Jane.

jacobsgate
                                                                Participant

Hello Ginette,

Thank you for your reply.  I was just signing up for the online guild as the emails from Jane on Jan. 22 were going out.  Could you send the email to me.  I am sure I will be on the list for february.  Thank you so much.

Pam

Ginette
                                                                    Keymaster

Hi Pam,

I’ll get Alastair to send you that email this morning, and welcome to the guild!

Ginette

Ginette
                                                                      Keymaster

Hi Pam, I just sent you the email.  Let me know if you didn’t get it.

Ginette

Beth Napper
                                                                      Participant

I just finished watching Jane weave sample one. What would we do if we got a “smiley” further along the tea towel and we couldn’t tighten the selvedge threads by pulling them forward as she did in the video??? Also, what is the reasoning for leaving the space between the filler at the beginning and the startup of the tea towel? Thanks. Just LoVE this series. Just can’t get enough!!

• #39981
                                                                          Ginette
                                                                          Keymaster

Hi Beth,

In Season 1 Episode 5.2 at the time 9:54, Jane shows how to fix those smiley faces & frowns further down your weaving.

The reason Jane left space on the sample between the filler & the hemstitching was to get a good camera shot during filming.  You can hemstitch right after you’ve woven the filler.

I agree with you, love this series too!  I just keep learning more stuff with each episode!

Ginette

• #40185
                                                                          Clare
                                                                          Participant

I have been waiting with great anticipation for the new season to start and was so floored by the 7 samples as described by Jane that I had to watch the episode twice!  I was literally gasping as she showed the tea towels resleyed as gorgeous, draping scarves and wraps. I am so inspired by her work and thought process- graphic, clean and modern- simplicity at it’s best.

• #40204
                                                                            Martha
                                                                            Participant

I particularly liked the way you let us know where to reference and review the topics for sett in season 1.  Thank you for that!  Looking forward to growing my own knowledge and experience through another year with this guild!

• #40534
                                                                              Caroline
                                                                              Participant

so far so good.  I am still a bit unclear about 4 vs. 8 shafts.  I think I can thread my  8 harnesses  1 , 2, 3, 4, 5 , 6, 7, 8 .   My tie-up would be 1 / 3 / 5 / 7    and  2  / 4 / 6 / 8 to create the balanced weave.

Is this correct?

• #40535
                                                                                  Ginette
                                                                                  Keymaster

That’s correct Caroline 🙂

• #40778
                                                                                  Elizabeth Crawley
                                                                                  Participant

Loving it!  I am dedicating a four-harness loom to this years episodes.

Viewing 24 reply threads
                                                                                • The forum ‘Season 2 – Colour & Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.