Tell Us what you think about Episode 8: All About Looms

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Tell Us what you think about Episode 8: All About Looms

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Jane
      Keymaster

Hi Kids,
        I hope you have learned a wee bit about looms. There is just so much to learn.
        Share your thoughts if you have any 🙂
        Cheers,
        jane

Carmen Berthelette
        Participant

Hi Jane!  I now know how a Spring works!!  Thanks!!

Gabriele
          Participant

I think I was one of the first who watched the new episode  about all these nice wonderful looms.

Thank you so much Jane, I learned again so many !

In German we say when somebody understands….der Groschen ist gefallen,…. the penny dropped.

I think while watching this episode  I filled again a whole piggy bank thinking:  `”oh that was the reason why….”,

Linda
            Participant

Great episode, especially the segment on the David. I bought a beautiful cherry David a few months ago. It’s several years old but was still in the box. I finally got to start putting a warp on a couple of weeks ago. I kept thinking something wasn’t right, and late last night – after watching the segment Thursday – it finally hit that I didn’t go over the back beam. 😐

At 330 this morning I woke up with the realization since I used two rods on the warp beam like episode 2 taught, I didn’t have to rethread everything. Once everyone finally got out of bed so I could turn on lights and make noise I wound the warp forward onto the cloth beam, very carefully unlashed the second rod, brought the first over, then lashed them back together. Wound it all back to the warp beam and I’m ready to go! Added bonus, it was simple to keep even tension because I had a grip on both handles all the time.

Sasha Adams
              Participant

There is no ‘best’ episode they are all wonderful. However this one really hit home. About 14 years ago I ordered my first floor loom a Leclerc jack loom from another vendor BJ(before Jane). When it arrived it wasn’t a jack loom but a counter balance loom which came in about 50 boxes. I didn’t realize it wasn’t a jack until my husband and I had put it all together. Long story short, to disassemble it and pack it back in the boxes and ship it to the vendor would have cost a lot of time and money, so I accepted it ‘as is’. Since then it’s woven many a boucle towel, a few rugs and a couple of baby wraps. After seeing this episode I realized that what I thought was the ‘ugly’ sister in my Loom Room has transformed into Cinderella. Thanks Jane,

❤️Sasha

Susan
                Participant

I really enjoyed this episode and admittedly acknowledge how much I really didn’t know about looms.  I have gained a new appreciation for the Fanny that I sold a few years back.  An added bonus for me was watching Jane throw the shuttle and the epiphany in my weaving that has finally happened.  I have learned so much since the first episode, but, continuously struggled with getting a neat edge without fussing and fiddling with my selvedge.  I would try for a bit, but, always ended up going back to what I thought worked, I just couldn’t get it……until today.   After watching the episode I went to my loom and to the best that I could mimicked Jane’s technique and “easy, peasy”!   The penny dropped, at last!

Thanks Jane…….

Caroline
                  Participant

Hi all,

1)     I have a Spring loom and just watched the Countermarche episode.  I noticed Jane that you were weaving on 4 harnesses and kept the locking pin in on the harnesses 5 – 8.  Do you usually do this?  Also, do you take off  the extra long or short texsolv cords that are not being used?  Are the likely to get tangles etc?  I go back and forth between projects with 4 – 8 harnesses.

2)      Talking about backs and strain.   I try to weave with a moderately straight back.  If I do feel strain it is often in the back of my neck.  Have you talked about the distance that you have the bench from the front of the loom?

Is there a rule of thumb?

Jane
                      Keymaster

Hi Caroline,

I always leave the blocking pin on the harnesses I’m not using and I don’t load up all the cords on the lamms because I find it confusing.  It probably does help with things cathcing as well.

Distance from the loom to the bench is completely personal.  I do go over a bunch of this stuff in episode 3…have you watched it?

Cheers,

Jane

Daniel McMillen
                      Participant

When I purchased my loom I wanted a countermarch, however, I allowed my self to be convinced a jack was much better (being the most popular). I soon learned it was a mistake and 8 reminded of my $4500 mistake

Daniel

Jane Stafford
                          Participant

Ah Daniel, you will still be able to weave beautiful cloth on your loom 🙂

Maybe someday a counter-marche will cross your path and you’ll be able to add a 2nd loom to your herd.  It is funny how looms seem to accumulate 🙂

Alison
                          Participant

Must brag to let you all know that I am the proud owner of a brand new Louet Spring and just love it, yep it’s the pair of jeans that fit just right. No more climbing under the big warp beam to thread my treadles with my little ‘thingy’, Aaaaaahhhh.

Pity Daniel you’re not in Australia you could have had my Glimakra floor loom for a quarter the price!

Must away……to play!!

Daniel McMillen
                            Participant

I hope it is not gone yet I will be there in two days

Daniel

Alison
                                Participant

Wow Daniel that’s fast work. You’ll be in Australia? I have the Glimakra here. I just disassembled it yesterday with a few tears shed. It’s like putting out to pasture my trusty most loved family pet. I love the Glimakra and have woven some beautiful things on it. I was going to keep it for rug weaving but if I get a buyer I’ll let it go, only to help pay for the Louet. It’s a 4 shaft countermarch which can be made into an 8 shaft and which can be converted into a counterbalance. I have all the attachments for that. It’s the Glimakra Standard (if you want to check the internet for sizes).  If your’e keen and can take it back with you, as passenger baggage, when you travel back, then let me know. <ali@macedonian-weaving.com> or through this wonderful forum.

Ali

willknitforbeer
                                Participant

I thought you gave really good explanations on the types of looms and how they operate. And now, I want a David. First I have to get rid of my 7 others haha. Thank’s for a well thought out class.

Dori
                                  Participant

Loved this episode, particularly the counterbalance episode. I have a Payton CB loom that has been sitting lonely waiting for me to restore her. This episode has given me the courage to move beyond the polishing and shining, and getting it back to production.

Melissa
                                    Participant

I have a Leclerc Nilus-and I’m wondering if something isn’t quite right after watching this episode.  Is it “normal” for my warp threads on the bottom of the shed to separate like this?

F7B45933-80FE-422C-9F01-AE4B03ED8E42

Ginette
                                        Keymaster

Hi Melissa,

Your threads should be even.  Could be that your treadle cords are not the same length, try adjusting them and see if it improves.  Also, I noticed your bottom warp threads are not sitting on the shuttle race when your shed is open.  Do you have an adjustable beater on your loom?  If so, you can raise the beater until your bottom threads sit on top of the shuttle race when your​ shed is open.

Ginette

Melissa
                                            Participant

Thank you-it appears I should be able to raise my beater-that’s what I was thinking I needed to do-I will work on that.  I will also check my cords.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                                      • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.