Table Loom specific tips and tricks?

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Table Loom specific tips and tricks?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Amanda
      Participant

I have a new Ashford table loom which I thought would be great for the sample projects whilst having a personal project on my floor loom. Now I’m discovering I don’t have enough hands to put into practice Jane’s tips for weaving.

For instance, I can’t throw the shuttle and catch it with my other hand. I’m awkwardly trying to push the hanging beater out of the way so I can pass the shuttle through the narrow shed (my other loom is countermarch with a giaaaaaant shed so this is very weird to me) and hand it to myself. If I try to weave a full width on my 24″ loom instead of this 16″ sample this is going to be near impossible. So I need a hand to hold the beater back and two hands to handle the shuttle.

Then when I’ve thrown the pick I want to beat on a closed shed, so I need three hands again — one to keep my hand on the shuttle, one to hold the beater forward, and one to change the shafts by hand. Of course I put the shuttle down instead.

How does one weave on a table loom?

Amanda
        Participant

My apologies if this was covered in the all about looms episode, but if I recall correctly the table loom video was more about the merits of the Louet Jane than actually about how to manage on a table loom.

Jane
          Keymaster

There are two plastic tabs on the Jane Loom that holds the beater back.  They are on the inside of the frame.  You may have been wondering what they are for.  They stick out a bit.  That is to provide tension on the beater when you push it back.  Push all the way back to the castle and they will solve your problem 🙂

Amanda
            Participant

I dont have a Jane loom.

Jane
                Keymaster

Hi Amanda,
                  I’m sorry that my response wasn’t helpful. I was speed answering and didn’t absorb the fact that you have an Ashford Table loom not a Jane. The Ashford beater does not stay back and out of the shed when throwing your shuttle. Weaving on table looms will never be the same as weaving on a floor loom, where you can employ all the techniques I demonstrate during the episodes. You do have to hold the beater back if the loom has an overhead beater, except on the Jane Loom because of those tabs I mentioned on the Forum post. I am adding that in case anyone else reading this is weaving on a Jane loom didn’t know what those tabs are for. Eventually you will find a rhythm…but it takes practice. You could try holding the beater back with your free hand while you throw with the other hand and then you will move it quickly down to the catching position and beat with the hand that you just threw with. I don’t think it can be done more efficiently than that. However….I do encourage all table loom weavers to chime in here and and add to this post.
                  I hope this is more helpful.

egaverette
                Participant

I have an 8S Tools of the Trade table loom that I love! But it has a “traditional” beater so I am not going to be of any help

Can you post a picture of the loom?

Ettabb
                  Participant

I have an Ashford table loom and a Louet Erica table loom. I’ve tried weaving the way Jane recommends and it does take quite a bit of getting used to on a table loom.

After I move the beater forward I need to hold it there with one hand on both looms as I change shafts (on the Ashford because of the bungee cord that wants to move it back, and on the Erica because it’s a swinging beater so starts flopping all around unless I hold it). I’ve found if I hold the beater with the same hand as the shuttle, then change shafts with the other hand, it tends to work fine. It did feel very awkward at first, but I got the hang of it after a while. I do find my selvedges are better when I weave this way.

I do think this way of weaving would be a lot easier on a floor loom. I’d recommend doing whatever works best for you ;>

Alana
                    Participant

Hi Amanda,

I have a 24″ Ashford table loom as well. Regarding throwing your shuttle and having to push your beater out of the way – check to see if the bungee cords close to the top of the hanging beater arms are tight enough to hold the beater out of the way when throwing the shuttle. I have never had to push my beater back. If anything, it snaps back on its own if I let go of it too quickly. You should be able to throw the shuttle and catch with your other hand without worrying about the beater.

Regarding beating on a closed shed, you will have to put down your shuttle to do so. It slows things down a bit but the results are worth it.

One thing I ended up doing was investing in the Ashford table loom stand. It allows your table loom to behave similarly to a floor loom. Not exactly like one, but if you are weaving on only 4 shafts it really speeds things up. With it, you can tie each shaft to a separate treadle. You have to push down on multiple treadles with your feet, but no more putting the shuttle down to change the shed.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                  • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.