Substitution for silk

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Syl 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Syl
    Participant

Hi Heidi,

I have used Tencel often. Up until recently, i used it instead of silk and it gave good results .

For the “denting and cramming” episode I used it instead of the linen, I was happy with the results. I had to do a bit of maths since the Sett was different but that was easy to do thanks to Jane extremely clear and easy to follow discussion and PDF.

I love Zephyr but when i don’t always use it for warp and weft.  I’ve used Tencel  for the warp and Zephyr for the weft. Lovely drape always and the heavier saturation of Tencel works well with the sheen of Zephyr. I’ve even used it with a skein of kit-mohair boucle and silk from Handmaiden. That wool-silk was far too expensive to use some for sampling. So i just went ahead, wove (barely beating, just placing the weft) and hoped for the best. Maybe i was lucky but the scarf was quite lovely.

I prefer Tencel to Bambu only because the production of Tencel is more eco-friendly. I would suspect that Bambu would work as well.

amy.sloboda2018
    Participant

Thanks Ginette- I will try that!

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi Heidi,

I don’t have enough experience weaving with Tencel to give a good comparison, only wove a couple samples several years ago. Since you have a nice stash of Tencel, you should put a small cotton warp on your loom, maybe 2.5 yards and sample with it. Try different setts as well, that’ll give you some good samples to choose from. It’d be great to use what you have in your stash!

Hopefully someone will chime in on the Tencel for you.

Ginette

heidi
    Participant

Ginette

how does Tencel compare to bamboo? I have lots of  Tencel

thanks

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi Amy,

You can certainly substitute the silk with Bambu. In Season 2, Stripes, Episode 2.7.1 at the 38:06 mark, Jane’s finale piece is done with the 12 gauge Bambu as weft and the warp as 2/8 cotton. It’s a gorgeous scarf with lots and lots of drape!

Ginette

amy.sloboda2018
    Participant

I am in love already with the guild and want to begin trying so many new things. I am wondering, however, if there is a suitable and less expensive alternative to silk for the scarves?   Tencel? Bamboo? Someday I hope to order some silk, but right now it seems pretty dear…. So far, my weaving experience has been limited to cotton, cottolin and wool. I have done some sampling with tencel. Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.