Substitute for floating selvedge.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Mary Williams
      Participant

I just watched Jane’s floating selvedge video. Thank you Jane! I wish I had watched it before now. I am a beginner and have warped a loom for a twill scarf. Even though the draft said it was for all levels, including very new weavers, it did not mention a floating selvedge in the draft or in the text. I assume this is because experienced weavers know you always need one for twill drafts.

After starting to weave I discovered the problem. Not having seen the video, what I am doing is making sure I go around the outside thread (when necessary). It is definitely tedious but seems to be working. Other than being more time-consuming, and noting that the left edge looks slightly different than the right (for some reason I assume is associated with the method I am using), are there any other issues with doing this that might come back and bite me? I’m 15 inches along on a warp with no room to cut off what I have done so far and still have a length that will work for a scarf.

Ginette
        Keymaster

Hi Mary,

In Season 1, Episode 5.4, you’ll find lots of info on floating selvedges, why you need one, how to add them and how to deal with not having one & to create one on the spot without adding an additional thread on the back of the loom.

At this point in your weaving, I would probably just keep going the way you’re doing it, it does slow you down a bit though.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Season 3 – Pushing the Boundaries of Plain Weave’ is closed to new topics and replies.