Storing a warp chain

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Amanda
      Participant

I enjoyed the first episode a lot, but one question arose that was never answered in the videos. Say we follow along and make our warp, but need to wait 5 weeks for the warping the loom episode. How should we store our wee fart of a chain? (Yes, I think I’m adopting that. It cracks me up.) I’ve heard of several methods, two of which include ziplock bags with the cross sticking out, and tying the last loop to the cross… or both. WWJSTD?

• This topic was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Amanda.
        • This topic was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Amanda.
        Jane
        Keymaster

Hi Amanda, Because the chain is so tight it doesn’t come apart easily. You really have to pull it apart. We make tons of warps up in advance. We chain up those big farts…..I think I tell you about our workshop warps that are 27 yds long. They are chained the same way and we don’t do anything at the end because they do what they’re told and stay put.
          We stick em in a plastic bag and they look the same a month later when we take them out. Try chaining that way and you see :^)

You will see this in action in the next episode when I beam a 27 yard warp in 13 minutes and I come out the other end with every thread exactly the same length.

laurarose
            Participant

Why did I never think to put my warp in a plastic bag? duh.  Thanks.  I love chaining, and think I am OK at it, but if you get it caught on a chair or the cat or whatever even the nicest chain will undo.  And if I get my gumption up to really try it with out a choke tie, well, then the chain is for more than just general tidiness.  #nochoketie #livingontheedge

Amanda
            Participant

I look forward to seeing that!!

You’re working with silk and cotton in the videos, as I recall. Does wool behave just as nicely? (Ulterior motive: my next project is wool!)

Jane
                Keymaster

Yes, if you warp with two ends in your hand. That is why we warp with more ends whenever we can…..it means that two ends go over and under on the lease sticks, instead of just one end going over and under. That cuts the number of interlacements in 1/2 on the lease sticks and that reduces all the fuzzing of the warp going through the lease sticks. Zephry, Merino, Shetland….all go on with the same ease.
                  But wait for Episode 2….it will all make sense then.

Pamela Mickelwait
                Participant

Is it possible to store mohair warps as well in a plastic bag all chained up for a few weeks or will it get sticky and cause me grief? These wee farts!

Jane Stafford
                    Participant

Sorry Pamela,

I missed this question.  I can’t see any reason why you can’t store a mohair warp or any other kind of warp in a plastic bag.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.