Spring loom tie-up problem

Forums Weaving Discussion Spring loom tie-up problem

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      lambweaves
      Participant

Hi Jane,

I am tying up my Spring loom which I have done many times before.  I can honestly say that I have never gotten huge sheds but they have been good sheds so I didn’t worry about it.

HOWEVER I now have a problem.  I tied up treadle 1 and I get a fabulous shed – probably twice the size that I usually get.  As soon as I tie up any other treadle, I get  a very bad shed on BOTH treadle 1 and the new treadle.  It opens about 1″ and nothing is resting on the shuttle race.  I have untied and retied many times trying to narrow done what is causing the problem.  Nothing is off of a pulley and no cords appear to be crossed.  I am confident that nothing is double tied – all of my cords are color coded so it is easy to see that they are all tied and in the right order.

Do you hav e any bright ideas?  Thanks – Pattie Lamb – lambweaves@yahoo.com

yezemin
        Participant

I have to admit that I never tested treadling before I had connected ALL treadles, but I had only ok sheds before I readjusted all the lams height, according to the manual. After that I now have a faboulus shed.

Did you check if all your lams are at the correct height, when your locking pin is in?

Sandra
          Keymaster

Have you solved your issue with your Spring, Pattie?  If not – there is a section on the Spring Loom that might give you some ideas.  Keep us posted, please – it must be very frustrating!

Cat
            Participant

I’m having a similar problem on mine.  I’ve had mine for long enough that I know it’s not specific to the project.  The lower shed stays about a half inch, sometimes more, above the beater beam (is there a term?).  Twill, plain weave, huck, four-harness and eight- harness projects.  I’m really frustrated with it as my shuttles will dive under threads.

Thanks!

–  cat

D40A5839-EAF7-4236-A61A-F52E8E5D6E10

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Cat.
              • This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Cat.
                Sandra
                Keymaster

Can you raise up your beater?  I don’t have a Spring but I understand that there are screws on either side of the beater near the bottom.  If that doesn’t solve the problem – there is an article on The Knowledge Base that gives the measurements for the Spring, in case something is not quite where it should be.  There are other troubleshooting articles there as well.  Keep us posted on your problem-solving journey, Cat.

Cat
                Participant

Well that was exactly the issue!  I had no idea they were adjustable!  I joined the Facebook Spring group this evening and a very kind lady suggested that, and it worked beautifully.  All those months sitting under the loom tinkering with the tie-ups …  At least it’s peaceful under the loom.

Thanks!

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.