Skookum towels

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      pkloost
      Participant

I am getting ready to use your boucle yarn for dishtowels and while looking up setts for different warps to use, I read that 8/2 or 8/4 cotton warp with the boucle makes great ‘skookum’ towels……what are skookum towels?? I am not familiar with the term and when I looked it up it just says “strong, powerful, impressive”! Help!

Sandra
        Keymaster

😄  – Sorry to confuse you, pkloost!  Skookum is a west coast expression that means all the definitions you found when looking the word up.  In this case – it would refer to the fact that weaving with Bouclé in your towels makes them extra absorbent and a joy to use.  JST has some Bouclé towels in kits, if you want to get some inspiration.  In other words Bouclé make a great tea towel!

pkloost
          Participant

Thank you , Sandra! I just bought the boucle towel kit when I visited the studio just a couple weeks ago! I was thinking of maybe extending the boucle by pairing it with the 8/4 carpet warp and just wanted to make sure that skookum was still an appropriate type of towel for dishes! Glad to know that it will be a good strong towel…..maybe I’ll end up with a both towel as well! I love the kits I bought!

Danielle Soucie
            Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I just purchased 6 rolls of cotton from the shop. 8/2 for warp and boucle for weft. I’m wanting to make a beach towel/bath towel with the cotton. How do the two interact and might you have some advice on what the sett should be?</p>
              Thanks!

Sandra
                Keymaster

Have you checked Jane’s Master Sett Chart, Danielle?  She recommends 16 epi and ppi for 8/2 cotton as warp with boucle as weft in twill.  Have fun!

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Season 3 – Pushing the Boundaries of Plain Weave’ is closed to new topics and replies.