Shuttle picking up bottom threads

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Shuttle picking up bottom threads

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Sheila
      Participant

Hi.  Newbie here with about 10 months experience. Hope this is a good place to ask this.

I have a 4 shaft Woolhouse table loom. My beater does not have a rail and I find that the shuttle will pick up bottom threads (and sometimes fall right through) unless I have the tension quite tight. I broke a few too many threads so I relaxed my tension a bit to where it should be. I’m trying to go slower and be more mindful as I throw the shuttle. But my last project (where I was positive I didn’t pick up any) was a repeat of previous troubles. Perhaps not quite as many.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Ginette
        Keymaster

Hi snugentsmith,

When you have your shed open, do the bottom threads sit on the bottom of your reed, if not, can the beater height be adjusted?

Sheila
          Participant

Thanks Ginette.

Yes, the bottom threads do sit at the bottom of the reed on an open shed.

Thx.

Sheila

Ginette
              Keymaster

Hi Sheila,

I think you’ll have to try and see if you can find that sweet spot between loose & tight to get the right tension so that your shuttle glides over those bottom threads and not pick up any skips and not break threads.  I found when working on a loom without a shuttle race I needed to be mindful on how I was throwing the shuttle, with palms up so I didn’t give it a downwards throw direction and I also increased the tension a tad.  I also used my wrists more than my arms to throw the shuttle (hope that makes sense 🙂 )

Sheila
              Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Thanks again Ginette.</p>
                I wondered if perhaps my throwing technique needed a tweak. I will give your suggestions a try and I’m sure they will help. I just warped the asymmetry lesson so I have a good 6 yard warp to refine my throw.

Thanks again! 🙂

Jae
                  Participant

You may also want to experiment with different shuttles.  Some are blunt ended and some have a bit of an upwards curl depending on the maker.  I was really struggling until I switched to a shuttle that had a curl.  It was less likely to dip under and catch the bottom threads when I threw it.  I still have to be more careful than on a loom with a rail, but the type of shuttle reduced the issue a lot for me.

Sheila
                  Participant

Thanks Jae. I have a leClerc shuttle but just purchased a Schacht open bottom one from a lady in Kelowna. I’m hopeful that will help. I received my loom and tools as a gift so I’ve been doing the best with what I have; in fact, I used different shuttles for the first time at a weekend workshop in October.  I hadn’t known there were so many!!

Ginette
                    Keymaster

That’s a really good point Sheila 🙂

Viewing 5 reply threads
                  • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.