Sewing Clothing from Woven Fabric

Forums Weaving Discussion Sewing Clothing from Woven Fabric

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Marty Wink
      Participant

Hi all!

I’m looking for guidance on weaving fabric for sewing garments.  Specifically fabric for casual tops that are machine washable and dryable.  I’m considering 16/2 cotton for the drape of the fabric.  (Is Bamboo machine washable and dryable?)

Does anyone have any experience with making garments from woven fabric?  Any books or other reference items that address this?  I did manage to find an old Handwoven issue that covers this topic.

I appreciate ANY help or guidance on this topic!

Thanks,

Marty

Sandra
        Keymaster

Beautiful cloth can be woven for clothing.  I’m not a sewer but I wear handwoven clothes throughout the year.  My handwoven clothes are made by Maiwa and I wash my linen tops in the machine in cool water (not necessarily cold) in a gentle cycle.  I dry them in the dryer on a gentle heat for just a minute to remove most of the wrinkles created by washing and hang it to dry.  I do that with all my Maiwa fabric items – whether woven with all cellulose fibres – organic cotton, a hemp/cotton mix or linen.  I wash my silk or wool clothing items by hand.

I’ve no experience with bamboo but I did find this in the internet:

Bamboo fabrics will maintain their special qualities when washed in cold to warm water (up to 40 degrees Celsius) with a gentle detergent, free of bleach. You may want to use a gentle cycle for some finished garments and fabric types. If necessary, bamboo fabrics can be dried in a clothes dryer on the cool setting.

I think 16/2 would be a wonderful starting point!  Also, I just found this on the web Designing to Weave and Sew ebook

Have fun with your challenge, Marty!

yezemin
          Participant

I found some information about that in Mary E. Black’s Book “The Key to weaving”. She has an Appendix with tables with suggested materials, threading and sleying. It’s not much, but it’s a start.

A Handweavers Notebook by Sharon Alderman (Swatch Collection from Handwoven Magazine) seems like a treasure chest to me. But I didn’t weave after that so far, because I first need to learn to grade my own patterns, as standard sized patterns don’t fit me.

There are also some weavers out there, which sew clothes from their weaves and some of them offer also workshops. Let me check my bookmarks…

There is Daryl Lancaster. She does great and gorgeous stuff and offers workshops. She also has some material in her shop, that you can buy and download.

Daryl’s Blog (weaversew.com)

There is Kathleen Weir-West. She has some interesting weave designs in her coats:

KATHLEEN WEIR-WEST (kweirwest.com)

I also like some of Denise Kovnat’s stuff. She also offers workshops:

Random Acts of Color (denisekovnat.com)

There are more out there. There even is a fashion show for woven garments!

I don’t have a dryer, so I would do a sample and test it in your machine.

Hope that helps!

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Weaving Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.