Sett?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sheila 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Sheila
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 8
    • Totals: 16
    • Weaving wonder

Thank you for taking the time to explain. It sounds like there are a few ways to approach this one.

kathleen ready
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 43
    • Totals: 44
    • Weaving wonder

I recently wove a towel using a strip of birds eye and then mostly plain weave (in the threading). I used 2/8 cotton and I chose to use a sett in between plain weave of 18 and twill 22. I used 20 epi. and I think it worked well. I was worried if I chose 2 different setts, it would show as more crammed (in the twill section) when I just wove plain weave across the whole width.

If the birds eye is across the weft, as you’ve threaded birds eye and you want to weave a few rows of birds eye twill in the weft, but the towel is more plain weave then use epi for plain weave. Just remember that those rows of twill will shrink more after washing, giving you a scalloped selvedge. I hope this answers your ?

Because you mentioned 2 different threads (thin and thick)

Then there is overshot. If you’re  using a thin fibre such as 2/16 cotton for your towel, and you just want to add a few rows of birds eye across the width of the towel,  then I would use 2/8 for the overshot pattern (birds eye) only  and use a sett for overshot based on your ground fibre. In this case it is 2/16 so I would use 22 epi.

Sheila
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 8
    • Totals: 16
    • Weaving wonder

A towel I’ve seen on the internet combines a row of birds eye with a few inches of plain weave. How does this work with sett? Or do you use thin for birds eye and thick for plain weave? Would love to make this project. Thanks for your expertise.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.