Sett for Harrisville Shetland

Forums Weaving Discussion Sett for Harrisville Shetland

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      molliereddick
      Participant

I’m taking a break and weaving something simple. I plan to weave a v shaped shawl, sometimes called the L shaped shawl, in plain weave. I will weave it with Harrisville Shetland. I have seen here that 8 epi is recommended for Harrisville Shetland. However in this project the warp from one rectangle becomes the weft of another triangle. Will Shetland stand up to this? I have woven this project with Harrisville Highland at 8 epi for tabby but the shawl ends up to be rather heavy.

Sandra
        Keymaster

Harrisville Highland is about twice the thickness of Harrisville Shetland, so the 8 epi should give you a fabric that has room to full nicely.  I have never woven a v shaped shawl, so I really can’t comment on your project – however, if Shetland is strong enough for a blanket warp, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be strong enough for your project.

Holly Haynes
          Participant

I haven’t used Harrisville Shetland in a V-shawl, but I have woven a number of v-shawls using knitting yarns.  I have always used the same yarns in both the warp and weft and not had a problem with the switch.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.