Sett for 8/8 cotton placemats

Forums Weaving Discussion Sett for 8/8 cotton placemats

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Kimberley Daniel
      Participant

I was recently inspired to buy some of your 8/8 cotton (on sale!) to make the placemats  mentioned in the description (“Using Twill, sett at 12 epi and 12 ppi with 8/2 cotton as your warp and 8/8 cotton as your weft, you can weave practical, beautiful placemats that will be fun to create in this full rainbow of colours.”)

My question is this: in the description, copied above, it’s recommended to use 8/2 cotton for the warp, but in Jane’s Master Sett Chart, it’s recommended to use 8/4 cotton. I have both and am wondering which I should use? I assume the 8/4 will give me a firmer placemat? Will I even see the warp yarns given that the 8/8 cotton is so much heavier?

Sandra
        Keymaster

What I would do would probably use the 8/4 cotton as your warp, and use your 8/8 as your weft.  You will have a weft predominant cloth, but you will see your weft.  You will have nice firm placemats and I’ll bet they will be fun to weave 😉 Your placemats will firm up after they have been washed and dried in the dryer.  I would ask Jane, but she is away from the studio on a well-deserved break.  If you are not planning to wind your warp for a week or so, I can double-check with Jane when she gets back.  Let me know.

Kimberley Daniel
          Participant

Thanks. I have more colors in 8/2 cotton but I agree, I think I’ll try the 8/4 first. It would be good though to have the sett chart and the products page to be consistent. Thanks for your quick reply! I am so glad I found Jane Stafford Textiles – what a wealth of knowledge and experience!

Sandra
              Keymaster

The sett depends of what you want to weave and the hand you want it to have for that particular purpose.  As Jane so often says – “not right, not wrong – just different” as well as “sample, sample, sample”! You could double up in winding the warp, but I would thread them and weave them side by side, like you would in Basket Weave.  I would want to control each thread while weaving.  That way you could even mix your colours of 8/2 if you wanted to 😉

Kimberley Daniel
              Participant

If I want to use the 8/2 cotton for warp, can I use it doubled up? Would that be the equivalent of 8/4? I have so many more choices of color in the 8/2 …

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.