Selvedges with gaps

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      debzx1
      Participant

I’m weaving plain weave the JS way…great..BUT…for some reason my slevedges have gaps in them, even though I’m beating as evenly as possible.  Its one of those weaving frustrations!  Particularly as I’m meant to have something ready for an exhibition soon!

Debbie in Devon UK

Sandra
        Keymaster

Can you post a photo Debbie, so we can see what you are having problems with?

debzx1
          Participant

Please can you suggest a way to send  a picture as the image won’t load onto this forum…toomuch MGB I believe.

debzx1
            Participant

selvedges

Sandra
              Keymaster

Hi Deb,

I think it might be a tension issue.  Have you felt your warp to see if everything is even all the way across.  If not, now would be the time to go back and review Season 1, Episode 2.6.  Once you’ve confirmed whether or not that’s the issue, fixed it and you are back to weaving – are you keeping an eye on creating a balanced cloth by watching your squares as you beat?  Let us know if this helps.

Also, regarding making a smaller photo – I send any photos I want to post in an email to myself, and save it.  They are much smaller photos that way.  If anyone has an easier workaround, please let us know.  My photos are usually in RAW format so are huge!

debzx1
                Participant

Thank you…that does seem to be the problem.  Do you have suggestions about how to put more tension on the warp now that I’ve already started to weave or do I have to cut and re;tie?

Debbie

Sandra
                  Keymaster

Debbie, it depends 😉  The problem could originate in two areas – whether you had good tension putting the warp on the loom or whether your tension was uneven when you tied the warp to the cloth beam.  Review Season 2: Episode 2.2.4 and if you still can’t get good tension and want to have a sample you are happy with – honestly ……… I would cut my losses and tie on again.  That’s the beauty of weaving with 2/8 cotton and towels as a learning tool – you aren’t cutting off silk!  Keep us posted on how you solved that problem – and don’t fret about it – we’ve all been there!

debzx1
                    Participant

Hello…I’ve racked up the tension but still having problems…I’ve threaded on a 10″reed, 2 to a dent with 10/8 cotton.  Should I have  a 12″ reed, would that make any difference?

Debbie.

Ginette
                        Keymaster

Hi, when you are beating and holding the beater against the fell before switching shed, look for your negative space and try to aim for a balance square.  That may help.  Also, from your picture, it looks like your warp threads are bigger than your weft yarn.  What yarns are you using?

Sandra
                        Keymaster

Hi Debbie – I’m sorry you are having so many problems with your warp 🙁  I’m not sure what size of yarn you are using and am assuming a typo – 10/8 cotton would be huge and not able to easily glide through a 10 dent reed, let alone a 12 dent reed.  If your tension issue is throughout your warp, the only thing you could do is cut it off and “cut” your losses, assuming you have tried to tension it across the warp the way that Jane demonstrates in Season 1: Episode 2.6.  If that’s not working, then your problem is further into your warp.  You could review Jane’s Dressing your Loom Season 1: Episode 2.1 to see if you can see something that you didn’t remember to do while dressing your loom.

I can’t think of a weaver I know who hasn’t had a “dog warp” and had to cut it off – I certainly have and it hurts!  I know it’s hard to do but there is no guarantee that you will be able to fix the tension if it’s systemic throughout the warp.  Is it really worth your time to continue with a warp that is giving you grief?  All I can think of is to put another warp on, carefully paying attention to the lessons Jane has given us and you will be a much happier weaver!

debzx1
                          Participant

Thank you for your response..yes it was a typo…I meant 8/2…I think I’ve sorted it.  Cut the warp off…re:threaded it on a 12″ dent and retyed it…looking and feeling a lot better…most importantly the selvedges are doing Ok as well.  I never realised how challenging doing a tabby weave can be.  Good to be learning from mistakes!

Debbie

Sandra
                            Keymaster

Good news, Debbie!

Viewing 10 reply threads
                          • The forum ‘Season 2 – Colour & Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.