Season 3: Episode 8: Plain Weave with Supplementary Warp

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Season 3: Episode 8: Plain Weave with Supplementary Warp

Tagged: 

This topic contains 21 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  gabi-tomas 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 438
    • Totals: 465
    • Weaving wonder

Hi, taty.lauwers – I’ve noted your question and will pass on your query to Jane when she is back in the studio tomorrow.

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Weaving wonder

I was just trying to reply to you under the episode thread, Dianne!  It seems like we’ve all had very busy weekends on the west coast and I’m just now looking at questions that came in on Friday.

Did you follow Jane’s denting chart under the title Centre section in the middle of the draft page, right near the bottom? She shows you sleying the dent with one supplementary thread alone with necessary warp threads in two side by side dents.  Also, have you checked – just to make sure – that you don’t have a crossed thread between the heddle and the dent in the reed.  Just asking because it’s something I’ve had experience with 😉

diannedavenport
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4
    • Totals: 5
    • Weaving wizard

I’m going to try getting an answer here.  I cannot get the supplementary warp threads to warp correctly.  The threading is correct according to the diagram at the top of the page   442121212121212121332121212121212121. Each in its own heddle reading right to left and repeating this sequence from fuchsia to fuchsia.  Here is where I have problems. What exactly do you do with 3 and/or 4 when sleying the reed? I either get them separated by a couple of threads or because I cross them over the ground threads there are a supplementary thread and a ground thread sitting in the middle of the shed, which makes it almost impossible to pass a shuttle through.  I am probably overthinking this whole thing, but I cannot go on with my own project. The diagram on the pdf is confusing to me. I can send pictures of my original sample which shows separated supplementary threads because I changed the heddle threading. It worked but the two supplementary threads are separated by a couple of threads.  I would like for them to be next to each other like Jane’s sample. Help!

Sylvia
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 27
    • Totals: 32
    • Weaving wonder

IMG_4437Watched the online guild and had to get a warp on the loom. This is such a nice weave structure. Going to have fun exploring. Using up some yarn.

theresahark
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1
    • Totals: 1
    • Weaving weeble

When I weave with all sups down, I get denting.  I have both supp warp threads in the same dent together.  Should I do that differently?

taty.lauwers
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 15
    • Totals: 15
    • Weaving wonder

Great lesson once again. I am never disappointed. I also love the way Jane teaches low-tech (like no second back beam – yeah!) and no-fear: great for beginners and shy weavers.

One question on pdf:  is detail of #23 correct? why twice 134/23?

Second question: maybe I am not focused, but why in pdf warp colour sequence is ( 16 purple +2 limelight) * 3 + one repeat? why not *4?

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Weaving wonder

Is there no end to what you can do with 4 harnesses? Jane proves to us, once again, what dynamic, exciting cloth we can make with 4 – whether on a floor loom or a table loom. Start your journey towards a beautiful holiday gift to yourself!

(The discussion on challenges with an older Louet David has been moved into a dedicated thread)

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.