Season 3: Episode 8: Plain Weave with Supplementary Warp

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Season 3: Episode 8: Plain Weave with Supplementary Warp

This topic contains 20 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  rachel 4 days, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

rachel
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 5
    • Totals: 6
    • Weaving wizard

I’m watching the first video for this and have a question.  Apologies if it is addressed further on, but I wanted to ask before I forgot.

Is there a reason the supplementary warp threads are being thread through two adjacent heddles (3/3 or 4/4) rather than just being held together and treated as one end?  I’m assuming it is a potential tensioning issue (which only occurred to me as I was typing).

Maureen Janda
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 69
    • Totals: 85
    • Weaving wonder

I have not been able to get a clean shed. The supplemental threads are twisted around the basic warp threads and held down in the middle of the shed. I am using 8/2 cotton for the lesson at 16 epi for the center and 18 epi for the fuchsia frame in a 12 dent reed. The center area is slayed 1-1-2 etc, then the two supplemental threads are inserted in the last two slots over the standard warp threads as follows:
    S S
    2-1-1-2-1-1-2-1-1-2-1-1
    I’ve tried everything I can think of – rethreading, resleying re-everything, and I’m stumped.

This is the supplemental thread in the middle of the shed.

5540A974-47DE-4DF6-8CD3-73A2A54B3795_MEDIUM2

Maureen Janda
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

I have not been able to get a clean shed. The supplemental threads are twisted around the basic warp threads and held down in the middle of the shed. I am using 8/2 cotton for the lesson at 16 epi for the center and 18 epi for the fuchsia frame in a 12 dent reed. The center area is slayed 1-1-2 etc, then the two supplemental threads are inserted in the last two slots over the standard warp threads as follows:
    S S
    2-1-1-2-1-1-2-1-1-2-1-1
    I’ve tried everything I can think of – rethreading, resleying re-everything, and I’m stumped.

This is the supplemental thread in the middle of the shed.

5540A974-47DE-4DF6-8CD3-73A2A54B3795_MEDIUM2

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 428
    • Totals: 455
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Maureen, I would tie-up your David as you normally would for our sinking shed looms.  With weaving with a Supplementary warp, they will just be switched in your cloth as you weave, and you won’t notice the difference.  When you take the cloth off the loom, you can decide if you like one side better than the other!

Maureen Janda
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Hi,

I have a David loom and am getting ready to do the tie-up for sinking shed looms, the reverse of the rising shed tie-up.  On the video, Jane tied up her David according to the rising shed tie-up in her directions. Did she really weave with the rising shed tie-up?

I’m so confused.

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Weaving wonder

That is so beautiful, Kathleen!

kathleen ready
    Participant
    • Replies: 43
    • Totals: 44
    • Weaving wonder

I love this technique so much that I have warped 4 more scarves in various colours. I used rayon on small spools, (that I got from a stash) for my supplementary warp, it’s very shiny but it doesn’t shrink at all, so ended  up being a bit loopy.

ECDAB044-A15D-4CDA-BF0D-E54B47EA0AC2

taty.lauwers
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 15
    • Totals: 15
    • Weaving wonder

thanks Jane.

BTW I published a post on your guild in my blog for French and Belgian users: http://www.aufildelautre.fr/JSTonlineguild.html

And I attached a summary of your episodes, with translation into French: http://www.aufildelautre.fr/JSTonlineguild1.html

Lots of Belgians do understand English, it is another matter with my friends from France. But they seem ok with your excellent subtitles.

If you want to use part of this info on janestaffordtextiles.com, for French speakers, go ahead.

diannedavenport
    Participant
    • Replies: 4
    • Totals: 5
    • Weaving wizard

Thank you for your response Jane. I think I understand what you are saying.  Have gotten the warp resleyed and have woven about half of the scarf I designed using only certain sequences from the sample. Will post a pic when it’s done. It now looks like the sample that is online. Trying to get it finished to show off for our Weaver’s Study Group at Yarnorama in Paige, Texas this Sunday. The majority of our group are members of your online guild and we have lots of discussions about what the latest session is teaching us and showing off our take on what you presented. I have learned so much since I joined in Jan.2019.

Jane
    Keymaster
    • Replies: 208
    • Totals: 224
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Taty,

That is a boo boo…there shouldn’t be a double 134/23…….and to answer your second question….I have no idea why I wrote it that way….probably because at some other time in this samples life…there was a different colour in the 4th stripe.   Sometimes I just shake my head at how I write things.   This is one of those times….it would have been so much easier to write it x 4…because it is 4 times….Oh well….it’s a good thing I can laugh at myself.  Sorry to have caused such confusion.  When Alastair gets back from holidays I’ll get him to redo the PDF.

Jane
    Keymaster
    • Replies: 208
    • Totals: 224
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Dianne,

If you are using a 10 dent reed you will have  2 ground threads in every dent.  When you get to the supplementary warps you just put the first one in with 2 previous ends and then your next supplementary warp goes in with the next bundle of 2 ground warps.  You will have 2 dents in a row that have 3 threads in them.  2 of them are grounds and one is a supp.

Hope this helps.

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Weaving wonder

I don’t have this warp on my loom – yet 😉  However, if the two supplementary warps are threaded through two heddles, side by side – they should go through the reed that way so that they weave together.  Jane’s diagram of the Centre section shows them with other warp threads in the same dent in addition to the two regular warp threads.  She used 20 epi in a 10 dent reed so that’s the threading she shows us.  Basically you aren’t counting those threads in your cloth – they are floaters that come in and out when you need them.  They can be included in a dent with the PW threads.  Let me know if this helps.

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 5.53.48 PM

diannedavenport
    Participant
    • Replies: 4
    • Totals: 5
    • Weaving wizard

supp weave

I have tried two different ways. One gets the image I attached. This is not the warp I see in the video. The other crosses threads between the heddles and the reed. This second way creates raised threads. I am a visual type person. The more I try to decipher everything, the more I get confused. The diagram in the middle of the page of the pdf is not real clear as to where the supplementary threads come from and where they go to.

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Theresa, I think I may have answered your question when I responded to Dianne, below.  Let me know if that helps.

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Weaving wonder

Hi, taty.lauwers – I’ve noted your question and will pass on your query to Jane when she is back in the studio tomorrow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.