Season 3: Episode 7: Double Width, Double Layers

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Season 3: Episode 7: Double Width, Double Layers

This topic contains 28 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Ginette 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi Susan,

Are you able to weave a small sample? That’s probably the best way to determine if you’d be happy with both yarns in the warp. Just weave a small sample, maybe 12 inches wide.

Susan Jaken
    Participant

The Shetland wool comes in many beautiful colors, but not the type of yellow-green olive I am looking for. The Borg Vavstuga 6/2 Tuna wool does come in this color.  Although these wools have similar weights/yd and recommended setts, the Tuna is much softer and thicker.  Can I mix these yarns in the warp I was planning, or is it better to use only a single type for the double width blanket?

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi Sue,

OMG it’s great! Love those colours too 🙂 They are slightly addictive to weave when you know how that’s for sure. They are so much fun to weave.

Sandra
    Keymaster

👏👏👏, Sue!

Sue
    Participant

Hi Ginette,

imageherewith the finished article woven on leftover rep warp which isn’t very pretty but helped me greatly with the technique. Thought I might make some more seasonally coloured bags for Christmas!  Easy when you know how!

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi Susan,

The draft is for unwashed Harrisville so you’re all good to go to make your warp and try this technique, you’ll enjoy weaving double width  🙂

Susan Jaken
    Participant

I have unwashed Harrisville Shetland cones.  I’m not sure if Jane’s instructions are for washed or unwashed Harrisville Shetland or whether it  makes a difference.  Would appreciate advice on proceeding or not with the unwashed version.

Freda
    Participant

I finished my shawl and I love it!  Can’t see fold.  I have not brushed it.   Love the drape.   Learned a lot by doing sample first. Now I want to do more.  Perhaps  softer yarn.  Maybe a zephyr shawl?

IMG_2751

Ginette
    Keymaster

No problem Sue! Let us know if it worked out and show pics if you can!

Sue
    Participant

Hi Ginette, I’m sorry to seem so helpless amongst all this lovely work that is being shared .  What I couldn’t make sense of last night was the actual placement of the T’s and B’s in the tube section. I remember Jane’s chanting now. I hope it will be fairly plain sailing from here on.  Thanks so much for your speedy help.

Ginette
    Keymaster

Jean & Lana, both your pieces are wonderful!

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi Sue,

Are you weaving T, B, T, B and following the direction of the arrows on the draft with your shuttle? Basically, it’s lifting one of the T layers, then one B layers, then your 2nd T layer and finally your second B layer to make a continuous loop with your weft and that’ll create the tube.

Sandra
    Keymaster

👏👏👏

Lana
    Participant

My first double weave project!  It was a lot of fun.  Thanks Jane!

IMG_1549

Sue
    Participant

No Ginette , unfortunately it didn’t but it’ s more positive than it was. I now have the middle working and one fold . I am following the top draught 1/2, 3/4 but just can’t think how to interpret the lifts for the tube so I can  get 2 folds! Please help. Thanks so much.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.