Season 3: Episode 7: Double Width, Double Layers

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Season 3: Episode 7: Double Width, Double Layers

This topic contains 38 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  strong61 4 days, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

strong61
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 6
    • Totals: 10
    • Weaving wonder

Hi, I’m Leslie Strong.  This is the first time I have tried to work with wool.

The episode on double weave has given me a great opportunity to learn especially that I have a David 70cm floor loom.  I did not buy the Harrisville Shetland, instead when I was in PEI I thought I would be brave and try out some spun wool for the Belfast Mini Mills.  It was a 3ply, 2 oz skein, 225 yds – 100% super wash.    Well, I ran into many obstacles.  First time ever with warping difficulties. The mouth on shed 3 was not very wide and caught the wool many times.  The wool had a tendency to jam the heddles as it accumulated in light clumps and in the weave.  So many soft wool fibers floating all over the place. I did not give up. Here is two shawls that look like throws instead.  Colors more apparent in one than the other.DoubleweaveIts probably the wool I used.

Martha
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 29
    • Totals: 31
    • Weaving wonder

Beautiful colors!  Love it!

Martha
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 29
    • Weaving wonder

I’ve finally planned my blanket for double weave.   I have a 24″ Ashford table loom which I’d like to use for this project.  Do you think this is reasonable for a double weave blanket, or should I stick with my 4H floor loom?

Thanks for your insights.

Jacqueline
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 52
    • Totals: 55
    • Weaving wonder

Thanks Ginette!

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 386
    • Totals: 397
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Susan and Jacqueline,

I think it would be quite difficult to  hemstitch your bottom layer on the loom. You could try and hemstitch off the loom before you wash it. I would just twist fringes and not worry about the hemstitching.

Jacqueline
    Participant
    • Replies: 52
    • Totals: 55
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Susan, as it happens I started a different project and have not tackled double weave as of yet. I didn’t get a response but I seem to recollect hearing that you don’t hemstitch but just fringe twist? It would be nice to know going forward. Any suggestions would be great!

Susan Jaken
    Participant
    • Replies: 9
    • Totals: 12
    • Weaving wonder

Jacqueline – did you figure out your hemstitching approach?

fudsy1
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 26
    • Weaving wonder

I posted in another location but will ask here too. I’m using a Jane table loom and everything works perfect for a double weave right up until the project comes across the cloth beam and it reaches the take up roller soon as that happens I completely loose tension on the bottom half so I struggled only for a few more rows and have to give up. I tried it twice and with exact same results.  any ideas?   once wet finished it looks fine but very disturbing  about the sloppyness of the bottom halfdouble weave

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Weaving wonder

Donna, your colours are great! So beautiful 🙂

Donna
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 5
    • Totals: 5
    • Weaving wizard

A little late to the double width party but here it is and I am in love.  I was so worried about my colour choices, but as Jane says be brave, and don’t fret.  🙂71465809_10157510419829882_6196065923112108032_o

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Susan,

Are you able to weave a small sample? That’s probably the best way to determine if you’d be happy with both yarns in the warp. Just weave a small sample, maybe 12 inches wide.

Susan Jaken
    Participant
    • Replies: 9
    • Totals: 12
    • Weaving wonder

The Shetland wool comes in many beautiful colors, but not the type of yellow-green olive I am looking for. The Borg Vavstuga 6/2 Tuna wool does come in this color.  Although these wools have similar weights/yd and recommended setts, the Tuna is much softer and thicker.  Can I mix these yarns in the warp I was planning, or is it better to use only a single type for the double width blanket?

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Sue,

OMG it’s great! Love those colours too 🙂 They are slightly addictive to weave when you know how that’s for sure. They are so much fun to weave.

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 428
    • Totals: 455
    • Weaving wonder

👏👏👏, Sue!

Sue
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 25
    • Totals: 26
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Ginette,

imageherewith the finished article woven on leftover rep warp which isn’t very pretty but helped me greatly with the technique. Thought I might make some more seasonally coloured bags for Christmas!  Easy when you know how!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.