Season 3: Episode 6 – Simple Collapse Weave

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Season 3: Episode 6 – Simple Collapse Weave

This topic contains 37 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Janet 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Debra
    Participant

Thank you for your answer! I was having a little trouble with the warp tension – and now that I see what the end result could be, I”ll be especially attentive on my next one.

Debra

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi Debra, it does look like those sections were woven more opened and the warp was looser, especially if they are in 4 inch sections, when you may have advanced your warp? You’re fulling looks good though. I would pull on both sides of the scarf to realign the silk threads to help them straighten out.

Debra
    Participant

Good morning! I finished my collapsed weave scarf and while most of the weaving turned out fine, there were several areas where the warp appears very loose and almost coming apart. This happened in several sections of the scarf and is consistent across the warp in that section. By looking at my photo can you tell if I wove it very loosely for that section and then suddenly made my warp tighter without knowing the “damage” that I had done? This happened in 2 sections of my scarf – for about 4 inches each time.

Or was it not fulled in those sections? I’m going to start another kit so any advice is appreciated.

thank you – Debra

purplescarf

Clare
    Participant

Thanks Ginette~ It was slightly damp when I took the photos and after it had fully dried it became much more crepey. Beautiful draft!

sharikalb
    Participant

I am ready to do the fulling process on my scarf and I wonder if it is okay to “throw” the scarf the way I do when making nuno felt scarves. Otherwise the process seems similar.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  sharikalb.

Susan Jaken
    Participant

I also love this asymmetric style.  I’d like to substitute 20/2 or 30/2 silk for the tencel.  Jane uses 7G tencel sett at 20 epi instead of the 15 epi she uses with silk on the other scarves.  Is there a reason to increase the silk to 20 epi for this asymmetric pattern?

Ginette
    Keymaster

So beautiful Mary, the colours work so well together. I like your repetitive sequences!

Ginette
    Keymaster

Stunning Clare! I like the amount of fulling you did.

Clare
    Participant

pink side

Loved the kit colors and am so thrilled with my first foray into weaving with silk—the irridescence and saturation is just gorgeous. I could probably go further with the fulling- it is only lightly ruched at this point. I made only one scarf but am eager to do more!

purple side

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Clare.

elmer.mary
    Participant

My first ever go at Collapse Weave ( and at contributing to the forum).   I’ve used 2/17 NM lambswool and 2/30 NM silk bourette.  It took over 15 mins ‘at the sink’ but really pleased with the final effect.

Thanks for this workshop Jane.5021F2D6-8B1A-4A00-A637-01C44FAD7BE0F441182A-57CC-405C-86CF-5CEB22757A635645EB33-6B11-490A-BB1D-AAC80A0EECCF

Sandra
    Keymaster

You’re right, Sue. Mainly because you’ll want the interest of different colours to play with when you design your warp! Depending on your loom you will be loosing some warp in loom waste that isn’t shared by two scarves.

Sue
    Participant

Hi, I know I will only have time for one scarf and a sample but looking at the kits I presume half of each skein of silk and merino is used for each scarf. So I therefore need the whole yarn allowance even if I can only weave one scarf. Am I right?Thanks for helping.

Betty.allen
    Participant

Guess I had a duh moment.  I thought to look at the charts Jane gave us.  It looks like one of the silks is 18/2 and one if I wrapped correctly is about 26/2,  It’s great to have the charts if I can just remember to refer to them.

Betty.allen
    Participant

I hope this is the correct place to ask this question.  I have some silk but I’m not sure the size.  Neither has a size on the cone.  One is similar to Jane’s 20/2 on her sample card.  Maybe a tad bigger.  The only information I have is 100 grams/1,000 yards.  The other is 20/2 according to the website I purchased from but is it actually a tad smaller than Jane’s  30/2.  So I’m confused.  Can I wrap a ruler and determine the correct size?  How many Wpi for 20/2 and 30/2?

Beth Napper
    Participant

I love the asymetrical bamboo and merino scarf. All my stash of bamboo is 7 gauge though and I also have Harrisville Shetland not merino. Would I still get the same collapsing if I used these 2 weights together? Perhaps bamboo at 12 epi and HS at 6 epi? Anyone tried this before? (I know, I know. Sample, sample!) I would be interested in any comments.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.