Season 3: Episode 6 – Simple Collapse Weave

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Season 3: Episode 6 – Simple Collapse Weave

This topic contains 37 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Janet 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Janet
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 7
    • Totals: 11
    • Weaving wonder

Any tips for softening up the silk after the scarf is finished?  It’s really stiff.  I did rinse with a little vinegar, but that doesn’t seem to have helped.

sofsthun
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 5
    • Weaving wonder

8C59E77F-C19F-4661-8B5A-0818FA1512F6

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 386
    • Totals: 397
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Janet,

I believe you can weave around 85-90″ per scarf but hopefully someone who’s woven it recently can give you some of their dimensions and suggestions. In the meantime you might want to have another peak Lesson 3.6.1 -designing collapse fabrics, 3.6.1, 26:35 – Jane talks about the shrinkage from on the loom to washed.

Janet
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

I’m using the kit yarn – can anyone give me an idea how much length you lose when you full it?  Trying to figure out how long to weave my first scarf.  Thanks!

Debra
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3
    • Totals: 4
    • Weaving weeble

My second scarf turned out so much better than the first. Tension on the warp seemed loose, but I kept on weaving. Fulled it for about 6 minutes and could have perhaps done a minute longer. But it’s absolutely soft and delicate. The (kit) color is wonderful. It’s hard to capture in a photo – but here’s an attempt. Debra

collapsedweave

sharikalb
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 16
    • Totals: 21
    • Weaving wonder

I have an example of how too much fulling can ruin the scarf. I tried “throwing” the way I do when felting but it was too much.

Collapse Weave-1Collapse Weave-2

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 432
    • Totals: 459
    • Weaving wonder

You’ll be fine – keep us posted!

Janet
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Many inches – not a foot.  I used a warping board – I’m used to some unevenness (an inch here and there max).  I have a feeling I stretched the wool when I was winding the warp and it tightened up when I took it off the warping board.  I’m going to carry on and see what happens.  As Jane says, “don’t worry.  Have fun”

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 432
    • Totals: 459
    • Weaving wonder

Did you wind it on a warping board or mill?  The silk shouldn’t stretch and your ends should be relatively even when you are ready to tie-on.  My tension isn’t always perfect in the warp itself, and sometimes I have some unevenness because I work to get an even tension winding on.  Hmmm ……..  how much difference are you talking about?  Inches or a foot?????

Janet
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Just wound on my warp – I’m using the kit yarn.  I warp back to front and the wool threads are much shorter at the front of the loom than the silk – I guess because of the springiness.  I’ve decided not to worry about it – just tie it on and do the best I can to get even tension.  Anyone else have this experience (I’m determined not to call it a problem).  Love seeing what everyone has done!

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 386
    • Totals: 397
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Virginia,

You could try ironing just the wool part and not the ruched sections. That’s what I’ve done with mine and it worked out. I just used the tip of the iron for those parts.

Virginia
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1
    • Totals: 1
    • Weaving weeble

In the”at the table” section of the Collapse Weave videos, you said you gave the sample a “light press”.  When I tried that on a sample, it creased all the ruching.  Now I’ve finished my scarf and not sure what to do.  Thanks for your help!

Jacqueline
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 53
    • Totals: 56
    • Weaving wonder

Your scarves are lovely. The Tsumugi silk is really beautiful.

cfremming
    Participant
    • Replies: 2
    • Totals: 2
    • Weaving weeble

Scarf #2 the weft is hand dyed Tsumugi Silk only.
    20190821_112203-COLLAGE

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  cfremming.

cfremming
    Participant
    • Replies: 2
    • Totals: 2
    • Weaving weeble

The first of 2 scarves. I used natural Merino/Silk and Tsumugi Silk.

20190820_135428-COLLAGE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.