Season 3: Episode 6 – Simple Collapse Weave

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 3 – Pushing the Boundaries of Plain Weave Season 3: Episode 6 – Simple Collapse Weave

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Sandra
      Keymaster

A whole lot of fun weaving heading our way this month!  Let us see what you create “playing” with Collapse Weave.

judy
        Participant

Thanks Sandra,

This looks great but I have the Harrisville yarn ready to go for the Double Weave Shawl listed on your site under the yarns for Episode 6. Has there been a change in the sample order?

Judy

Ginette
            Keymaster

Hi Judy,

Oh so sorry about that! The original order is Episode 6 – Simple Collapse Weave & Episode 7 – Double Weave. We’ll get that changed today on that page.

jwhennessy
            Participant

Thanks Judy for the question. I was expecting double weave too.

Nina Kennedy
              Participant

Actually that brings up a question about the kits. I have been checking every so often to see what the yarn will be for the doubleweave episode coming next but have not seen anything about it – or any of the project yarns for episodes 7 and beyond. I’ve been thinking that I need to check my stash or order yarns for episode 7 but I don’t know what yarns will be used. If I am going to order the kits I’d like to order more than 1 at a time to save a little on postage to the US.

Please let me know if I am not checking the right place on the website – so far I have been clicking on “Online Guild” then “Buy Season 3 kits”.

Nina Kennedy
                Participant

Thank you for the link to this list. I had not seen this page (Online Guild Season 3 Yarn List) before! Where is it in the categories on the website so I can find it again?

Nina Kennedy
                    Participant

Never mind – I found the list. I had never noticed it before. Thank you for sending me the link though!

Beth Napper
                    Participant

I love the asymetrical bamboo and merino scarf. All my stash of bamboo is 7 gauge though and I also have Harrisville Shetland not merino. Would I still get the same collapsing if I used these 2 weights together? Perhaps bamboo at 12 epi and HS at 6 epi? Anyone tried this before? (I know, I know. Sample, sample!) I would be interested in any comments.

Susan Jaken
                        Participant

I also love this asymmetric style.  I’d like to substitute 20/2 or 30/2 silk for the tencel.  Jane uses 7G tencel sett at 20 epi instead of the 15 epi she uses with silk on the other scarves.  Is there a reason to increase the silk to 20 epi for this asymmetric pattern?

Betty.allen
                        Participant

I hope this is the correct place to ask this question.  I have some silk but I’m not sure the size.  Neither has a size on the cone.  One is similar to Jane’s 20/2 on her sample card.  Maybe a tad bigger.  The only information I have is 100 grams/1,000 yards.  The other is 20/2 according to the website I purchased from but is it actually a tad smaller than Jane’s  30/2.  So I’m confused.  Can I wrap a ruler and determine the correct size?  How many Wpi for 20/2 and 30/2?

Betty.allen
                            Participant

Guess I had a duh moment.  I thought to look at the charts Jane gave us.  It looks like one of the silks is 18/2 and one if I wrapped correctly is about 26/2,  It’s great to have the charts if I can just remember to refer to them.

Sue
                            Participant

Hi, I know I will only have time for one scarf and a sample but looking at the kits I presume half of each skein of silk and merino is used for each scarf. So I therefore need the whole yarn allowance even if I can only weave one scarf. Am I right?Thanks for helping.

Sandra
                                Keymaster

You’re right, Sue. Mainly because you’ll want the interest of different colours to play with when you design your warp! Depending on your loom you will be loosing some warp in loom waste that isn’t shared by two scarves.

elmer.mary
                                Participant

My first ever go at Collapse Weave ( and at contributing to the forum).   I’ve used 2/17 NM lambswool and 2/30 NM silk bourette.  It took over 15 mins ‘at the sink’ but really pleased with the final effect.

Thanks for this workshop Jane.5021F2D6-8B1A-4A00-A637-01C44FAD7BE0F441182A-57CC-405C-86CF-5CEB22757A635645EB33-6B11-490A-BB1D-AAC80A0EECCF

Ginette
                                    Keymaster

So beautiful Mary, the colours work so well together. I like your repetitive sequences!

Clare
                                    Participant

pink side

Loved the kit colors and am so thrilled with my first foray into weaving with silk—the irridescence and saturation is just gorgeous. I could probably go further with the fulling- it is only lightly ruched at this point. I made only one scarf but am eager to do more!

purple side

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by Clare.
                                        Ginette
                                        Keymaster

Stunning Clare! I like the amount of fulling you did.

Clare
                                            Participant

Thanks Ginette~ It was slightly damp when I took the photos and after it had fully dried it became much more crepey. Beautiful draft!

sharikalb
                                          Participant

I am ready to do the fulling process on my scarf and I wonder if it is okay to “throw” the scarf the way I do when making nuno felt scarves. Otherwise the process seems similar.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by sharikalb.
                                            Debra
                                            Participant

Good morning! I finished my collapsed weave scarf and while most of the weaving turned out fine, there were several areas where the warp appears very loose and almost coming apart. This happened in several sections of the scarf and is consistent across the warp in that section. By looking at my photo can you tell if I wove it very loosely for that section and then suddenly made my warp tighter without knowing the “damage” that I had done? This happened in 2 sections of my scarf – for about 4 inches each time.

Or was it not fulled in those sections? I’m going to start another kit so any advice is appreciated.

thank you – Debra

purplescarf

Ginette
                                                Keymaster

Hi Debra, it does look like those sections were woven more opened and the warp was looser, especially if they are in 4 inch sections, when you may have advanced your warp? You’re fulling looks good though. I would pull on both sides of the scarf to realign the silk threads to help them straighten out.

Debra
                                                    Participant

Thank you for your answer! I was having a little trouble with the warp tension – and now that I see what the end result could be, I”ll be especially attentive on my next one.

Debra

cfremming
                                                  Participant

The first of 2 scarves. I used natural Merino/Silk and Tsumugi Silk.

20190820_135428-COLLAGE

cfremming
                                                    Participant

Scarf #2 the weft is hand dyed Tsumugi Silk only.
                                                      20190821_112203-COLLAGE

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by cfremming.
                                                      Jacqueline
                                                      Participant

Your scarves are lovely. The Tsumugi silk is really beautiful.

Virginia
                                                        Participant

In the”at the table” section of the Collapse Weave videos, you said you gave the sample a “light press”.  When I tried that on a sample, it creased all the ruching.  Now I’ve finished my scarf and not sure what to do.  Thanks for your help!

Ginette
                                                            Keymaster

Hi Virginia,

You could try ironing just the wool part and not the ruched sections. That’s what I’ve done with mine and it worked out. I just used the tip of the iron for those parts.

Janet
                                                            Participant

Just wound on my warp – I’m using the kit yarn.  I warp back to front and the wool threads are much shorter at the front of the loom than the silk – I guess because of the springiness.  I’ve decided not to worry about it – just tie it on and do the best I can to get even tension.  Anyone else have this experience (I’m determined not to call it a problem).  Love seeing what everyone has done!

Sandra
                                                                Keymaster

Did you wind it on a warping board or mill?  The silk shouldn’t stretch and your ends should be relatively even when you are ready to tie-on.  My tension isn’t always perfect in the warp itself, and sometimes I have some unevenness because I work to get an even tension winding on.  Hmmm ……..  how much difference are you talking about?  Inches or a foot?????

Janet
                                                                    Participant

Many inches – not a foot.  I used a warping board – I’m used to some unevenness (an inch here and there max).  I have a feeling I stretched the wool when I was winding the warp and it tightened up when I took it off the warping board.  I’m going to carry on and see what happens.  As Jane says, “don’t worry.  Have fun”

Sandra
                                                                        Keymaster

You’ll be fine – keep us posted!

sharikalb
                                                                    Participant

I have an example of how too much fulling can ruin the scarf. I tried “throwing” the way I do when felting but it was too much.

Collapse Weave-1Collapse Weave-2

Debra
                                                                      Participant

My second scarf turned out so much better than the first. Tension on the warp seemed loose, but I kept on weaving. Fulled it for about 6 minutes and could have perhaps done a minute longer. But it’s absolutely soft and delicate. The (kit) color is wonderful. It’s hard to capture in a photo – but here’s an attempt. Debra

collapsedweave

Janet
                                                                        Participant

I’m using the kit yarn – can anyone give me an idea how much length you lose when you full it?  Trying to figure out how long to weave my first scarf.  Thanks!

• #91357
                                                                            Ginette
                                                                            Keymaster

Hi Janet,

I believe you can weave around 85-90″ per scarf but hopefully someone who’s woven it recently can give you some of their dimensions and suggestions. In the meantime you might want to have another peak Lesson 3.6.1 -designing collapse fabrics, 3.6.1, 26:35 – Jane talks about the shrinkage from on the loom to washed.

• #93893
                                                                            sofsthun
                                                                            Participant

8C59E77F-C19F-4661-8B5A-0818FA1512F6

• #94024
                                                                              Janet
                                                                              Participant

Any tips for softening up the silk after the scarf is finished?  It’s really stiff.  I did rinse with a little vinegar, but that doesn’t seem to have helped.

0
                                                                            Viewing 21 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.