Season 3: Episode 5 – Warp Faced

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Season 3: Episode 5 – Warp Faced

Tagged: 

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  kathleen ready 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

kathleen ready
    Participant

I’m just starting my warp faced project. I’m making placemats and have 12 inches in width. I did go to 32 epi with an 8 dent reed it was easy to sley. If the weft shows a bit that will be okay for me.

Just made the colour stripes thicker and the black and white sections with more thread. Not sure about shrinkage so will see when it’s washed.69C32E8A-CEC1-41FB-8508-8505FB4673CE

Clare
    Participant

That’s a great looking bag Ian!

Maureen Janda
    Participant

Carol, I love your inspiration card and how you interpreted it in your weaving.  So beautiful.

Ginette
    Keymaster

Wow Carol!

Jacqueline
    Participant

That’s great Carol!

Carol
    Participant

Inspiration card to expand on our sample- wish I could add the moon30D9E375-2539-4F56-B18E-BE5B06A7DD88

elmer.mary
    Participant

Super bag Ian and what an appropriate way to utilise a warp faced fabric.

Maureen Janda
    Participant

I want to make my project into placemats with a finished width of 15 inches. The guild sample directions show 7 1/2 inches for both the width in reed and the finished width.

How much shrinkage should I expect in this kind of weave? I usually make my warp about 10 percent wider than I want in the finished project, but I thought this type of weave might be less? What are guild members experiencing in their samples?

Jacqueline
    Participant

Fantastic tote bag! Thanks for sharing Ian. Now if only I could sew.

Ginette
    Keymaster

Wow Ian, that is a great idea and love the bag!

Sandra
    Keymaster

That is a beautiful and very functional looking bag, Ian!  You’ve done a great job of finishing it and your straps are perfect!  👏👏👏

Ian
    Participant

P1010850I decided I wanted to make a bag after watching the Warp faced episode. I didn’t want it totally warp faced so some of the weft is showing

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi Maureen,

It’ll be fine to use 2/8 cotton doubled in the heddles. Do post a pic when it’s on the loom! By the way, great way to use up your stash!

Maureen Janda
    Participant

This project uses so little of the peacock and pale limette, just in the warp as far as I can see. Why can’t I ply together two strands of 8/2 in those colors and use that in the warp to save some money???

Ed Chapman
    Participant

Wow. Jane did not let me down. I have looked at warp-faced weaving in Handwoven Magazine patterns for a few years and, well, never wanted to do it. Today I want to rip the warp I have on my loom off and do warp face, like immediately. I am thinking already about how I can use it to clear out some extra cones of yarn and I am sure I will lay in bed tonight thinking about color pairings for the alternating warp threads. Pretty sure my family will be getting placemats for the holiday season 2019……

Thanks Jane!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.