Season 3: Episode 3 – Log Cabin

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Season 3: Episode 3 – Log Cabin

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Nina Kennedy 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Nina Kennedy
    Participant

Leslie,

I second Gale’s suggestion – just tie previous warp end to next one when changing colors. (at the top or bottom of the warping sequence of course), Also, I learned that if you are warping with more than one end (i.e. 2, 4 etc.) you can just tie the new color ends to the previous ends in one knot (I usually use overhand knot) and continue on. No need to tie each old one to each new one. And you can tie one knot even if you are switching to fewer or more ends  (for example -you can tie a bunch of 3 warp ends to a bunch of 4 warp ends in one knot). At least I have not had any problems doing this.

Gale
    Participant

Hello Strong 61,

Your placemats look terrific.

To prevent having all those loops while changing colours during warping, don’t tie off the colour you are working with, instead, tie your next colour directly to the end of the colour you have just finished working with…. thus, no loops to deal with when transferring to the back beam rod.

Hope this helps.

Gale

strong61
    Participant

Here is my second Log Cabin runner and 4 placemats.  Enjoyed changing colors, so much fun. From doing Log Cabin twice, I am still looking for a better way to transfer my warp onto the rod and lease sticks as there were so many tie on loops from changing colors on the warping mill.  After creating a chain, those loose tie on loops had to be placed on the rod one by one and of course they got mixed up which meant that I had to continuously remove a tie on to place it in the correct sequence.  Not sure how to improve here.  If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Leslie StrongIMG_0336

strong61
    Participant

Log Cabin was challenging and fun to learn.  Great learning experience.  I got a warping mill which taught me to hang on to it with my knee when you take the warp off it or it flies off quickly as it turns. It was great to practice to jump the bump and dive the ditch.  It was not a good idea to put a floating selvedge – had to cut it off.  My two picks to start and finish my fringe would not stay tightly together, not sure why.  My table runner and 4 placemats turned out ok but I will do another set for practice.

Leslie Strong  IMG_0328

Jane
    Keymaster

Wow Sandra, those are amazing.  I wish I was with you 🙂

Sandra
    Keymaster

And ……. this is for you, Jane!  2000 year old “Log Cabin” found at the Nanjing Museum today.  Unfortunately, no matter how sweetly I asked – they wouldn’t let me bring a bell home to you 😂

5F8A2509-15D8-4EB2-90EA-FA81011F16802A165703-F37C-4A6B-ACBC-ACF151957BC08D8A8BEA-224B-4412-81C0-E0904FD3C636

Sandra
    Keymaster

Looks like you had a lot of fun, Maureen!

Maureen Janda
    Participant

My log cabin project.

9676FDB7-D5D0-4054-9B54-68336AECC7CE

And a closeup of my favorite few inches.

273E7883-EFB0-4C2F-BB29-1C46DA718A30

kathleen ready
    Participant

My log cabin project was fun and colourful. I also was not sure about warping the DL and I used a different colour for framing. I didn’t realize the framing thread is not an extra thread and so I had 5 threads extra, which I didn’t use. I just wasn’t doing the math right!

? If you are framing with a D thread, you do  need an extra D thread when warping using a D and L together.

3C2FC19F-F909-4888-A877-F6E60B48D6ADBB2B32F3-F065-43CD-8F43-68851E2749D6B468C198-B3D4-404E-BAF1-A96898EBEFFF

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi Maureen,

From Jane, if you have odd numbers of ends in your stripes then the pattern that occurs from D/L sequencing will be symmetrical.

Ginette

Maureen Janda
    Participant

I read on the  PDF instructions that we will learn:”The  importance of odd numbered end stripes”.

I’m not sure what she means and am trying to find where it was mentioned.

Nina Kennedy
    Participant

Great – The pages printed out perfectly this time!

Sandra
    Keymaster

OK, Nina – it’s up!  The JST team have worked their magic.

Sandra
    Keymaster

Hi Nina, the team at JST is in the process of reformatting the document.  It should up in the next hour or so.

Nina Kennedy
    Participant

I am excited to start the log cabin exercise but I think there is something wrong with the pdf. When I went to print it there were problems – last page is numbered 6 but only 4 printed out. The 2 middle pages were peculiar – printed horizontally and overlayed with what seems like another page on each of them!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.