Season 3: Episode 1 – Denting

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Season 3: Episode 1 – Denting

Tagged: 

This topic contains 106 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by  kristina 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 107 total)
  • Author

Sandra
    Keymaster

Not to worry, lovemaking!  Our handy/dandy JST Helpline is there to answer your question.  Check out Forgot my Lashing Cords

lovemk
    Participant

arrgg!!  Just finished threading the heddles for my denting sample and realize I did not lash the apron rods together.  They are tied just at the ends to hold them together but not across the length of the rods…..do I need to care about this or just carry on?  Thanks.

Betty.allen
    Participant

The warp was Jaggerspyn/Zephyr that I had left over from a project in the past. I only had enough for a 6” warp in reed, but it was about 86” long.  Since I didn’t have anymore of that yarn I found some bamboo that was a similar size and used it for the weft. I think it’s really a fun project. It is light as a feather. I weight it yesterday and it weighed .9 oz😳

fudsy1
    Participant

I really love the color choice, was the weft cotton or silk?  looks silk…   I finished my small samples and want to move onto a scarf today

Betty.allen
    Participant

A wee bit of a scarf but so fun  .  The last photo is before fulling.  It was only 6” in reed and 4” fulled  .  But I love it and wore it to church this morning😊. C66F4F34-2690-4801-AE76-E6BCE1CBDC7E0F26F381-666B-4989-BD92-E458D7D43ADFFC5E3D9A-5F01-45A1-ABC6-5655EAEB5AB8

Sheila
    Participant

Hi! For the “squish and kiss” scarf how fine a yarn is recommended and can you suggest ppi for the squish and ppi for the kiss?  Would there possibly be a ratio of 2:1 or…? I have some 2/14 alpaca/silk. Would that be fine enough? Thank you!

fudsy1
    Participant

this is just the one sample before and after wet finishing..  I was just so giddy this morning looking at it all nice and dry. I have never made anything so delicate..   Later I’ll try the silk sample then scarf.  Don’t know where I’d wear them (we live very rural )  Another thought is to make several more small ones a dresser scarves and such.  We shall see what my imagination comes up with

Sandra
    Keymaster

Which one did you end up using for your hemstitch fudsy1?  Are you happy with your results?  Your samples look great!

I usually use my weft as my hemstitch and because of the fringes/hem it stays put.

Sandra
    Keymaster

Hi Sophie, I think the 10/2 cotton and 20/2 silk would work well together.  JMHO  Let’s see if anyone else weighs in on your question.

Sandra
    Keymaster

Hi Dee Dee, I’ve very rarely double up selvedge threads over the years, but if that’s what feels right to you – do it!  On the other hand – Jane’s mantra as you weave “throw, beat, change, beater back” goes a long way to getting good selvedges 😉

fudsy1
    Participant

Made a small sample on my Jane table loom just so see what denting was all about. That was fun and I can’t wait to make a silk sample and then onto scarfs

C39FC081-671B-431C-B587-AE5E43D802605439CF89-53A9-474C-A012-5139978877AC

fudsy1
    Participant

I asked over at the video but will post here too.   when working with the silk, should the hemstitch be done in cotton like the warp or should I use the silk?  I’m worried about it slipping off

sophieab
    Participant

Dear Jane and All – Just went out to my “studio” and looked at my stash – to my surprise I do not have any 16/2 cotton nor 30/2 silk! Hate to spend any more money on yarn – is there any other I can substitute? I have 10/2 and 20/2 cotton as well as 60/2 silk. What do you suggest? Many thanks as always.

Sophie Britten

Three Rivers, CA USA

Dee Dee
    Participant

Hello! Relatively new weaver here from Northern California. 🙂 I’ve been watching seasons 1 and 2 back episodes over the past few weeks, and don’t recall Jane talking about adjusting the sett for selvedges. With dish towels and table linens I  doubled up a few edge selvedge threads—based on a technique I heard about in the Dixon book, if I recall correctly. Should consider doing the same for this first sample? I’m excited for this first project and will start winding my warp this afternoon—yay!!

Sandra
    Keymaster

The easiest way (and most controlled way) to wind your silk is to use large bobbins.  Other weavers might have them in their stash that you could borrow or you can order them from Jane – Leclerc Styrene Spools with your silk order.  You can use them over and over again.  Jane shows us all how to do it back in Season 1: Episode 2 right at the beginning of that video.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 107 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.