Season 3: Episode 1 – Denting

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Season 3: Episode 1 – Denting

Tagged: 

This topic contains 112 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Ginette 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 113 total)
  • Author

Sandra
    Keymaster

Have you got a part skein of a slippery yarn you could test on your cone winder?  My feeling is that the most important thing is to wind it very tight on whatever you have so that it’s under control.  It will want to slip as you are winding your bobbin from it ;-(

Or, do you have access to an empty spool – similar to what Jane uses?  It might fit on the rod on your drill and you could do it that way.  That way your silk would be secured between the two ends of the spool. Let us know what works for you.

carol1855wlr
    Participant

I have a question about working with the silk.  My bobbin winder does not accommodate spools (I use a drill with a bit that holds bobbins).  I do own a cone winder (I don’t mean a center pull ball winder) and was wondering if you see a problem winding my silk skeins I purchased from you onto cones instead of spools as Jane demonstrates.  I can’t afford the electric bobbin winder Jane uses right now and need to try equipment I already own.  Thank you for your help!

Sandra
    Keymaster

I think there would be plenty of room for your warp to move around as you are washing it!  Why don’t you make a sample, see if you like the results and share a photo with us?  We’d love to see what you created.

Allan
    Participant

Hi all,,

The reed required for the denting project has 12 dpi, warp ends dented as follows:-

2,2,2,2,2,2,0,0,0,0,0,0 etc – giving 12 ends per 1/2″ in the ‘warped’ sections.

My closest reed to this is 10 dpi  so presumably I should dent the warp ends as follows,:-

2,3,2,3,2,0,0,0,0,0 etc – again giving the equivalent of 12 ends per 1/2″ section in the ‘warped’ sections.

My only concern is that, with an extra end in two out of 5 dents, in such an open weave I may get some warp pairing? Or will it not be of any consequence?

I’ll probably have to try this anyway – a new 12 dpi reed (110cm x 12cm) here in the UK will cost anywhere between £100-£140 (170-238CAD).

Cheers

Allan

ps. perhaps I should bite the new reed bullet – from memory, you often specify a 12dpi reed in your projects.

fudsy1
    Participant

Hi Sue,

I had done that at first then scrambled for a pencil and watched again and paused each time to make lots of notes.. as a baby weaver, for me that is beauty of these being recorded, I can go back and watch and make notes even count repeats and take screen shots of things I like and work the pattern out.  She makes my brain hurt with exercise and I love it 🙂  happy weaving

Susan Jaken
    Participant

Creating that set chart is a great idea.  However, up to this point I hadn’t been recording Jane’s sett recommendations from the “at the table” sessions.  Any chance she could fill in some of those to help us get our charts started?  Thanks..  sue.

Sandra
    Keymaster

Not to worry, lovemaking!  Our handy/dandy JST Helpline is there to answer your question.  Check out Forgot my Lashing Cords

lovemk
    Participant

arrgg!!  Just finished threading the heddles for my denting sample and realize I did not lash the apron rods together.  They are tied just at the ends to hold them together but not across the length of the rods…..do I need to care about this or just carry on?  Thanks.

Betty.allen
    Participant

The warp was Jaggerspyn/Zephyr that I had left over from a project in the past. I only had enough for a 6” warp in reed, but it was about 86” long.  Since I didn’t have anymore of that yarn I found some bamboo that was a similar size and used it for the weft. I think it’s really a fun project. It is light as a feather. I weight it yesterday and it weighed .9 oz😳

fudsy1
    Participant

I really love the color choice, was the weft cotton or silk?  looks silk…   I finished my small samples and want to move onto a scarf today

Betty.allen
    Participant

A wee bit of a scarf but so fun  .  The last photo is before fulling.  It was only 6” in reed and 4” fulled  .  But I love it and wore it to church this morning😊. C66F4F34-2690-4801-AE76-E6BCE1CBDC7E0F26F381-666B-4989-BD92-E458D7D43ADFFC5E3D9A-5F01-45A1-ABC6-5655EAEB5AB8

Sheila
    Participant

Hi! For the “squish and kiss” scarf how fine a yarn is recommended and can you suggest ppi for the squish and ppi for the kiss?  Would there possibly be a ratio of 2:1 or…? I have some 2/14 alpaca/silk. Would that be fine enough? Thank you!

fudsy1
    Participant

this is just the one sample before and after wet finishing..  I was just so giddy this morning looking at it all nice and dry. I have never made anything so delicate..   Later I’ll try the silk sample then scarf.  Don’t know where I’d wear them (we live very rural )  Another thought is to make several more small ones a dresser scarves and such.  We shall see what my imagination comes up with

Sandra
    Keymaster

Which one did you end up using for your hemstitch fudsy1?  Are you happy with your results?  Your samples look great!

I usually use my weft as my hemstitch and because of the fringes/hem it stays put.

Sandra
    Keymaster

Hi Sophie, I think the 10/2 cotton and 20/2 silk would work well together.  JMHO  Let’s see if anyone else weighs in on your question.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.