Season 3: Episode 1 – Denting

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Season 3: Episode 1 – Denting

Tagged: 

This topic contains 112 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Ginette 5 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 113 total)
  • Author

Ginette
    Keymaster

Annette, there’s such a beauty in weaving with natural colour! I’m a huge fan 😉  Your scarf is absolutely beautiful!

Annette Beasley
    Participant

Not quite as exciting as all those who used coloured yarns…Used Henry’s Attic 10/2 warp twist sett at 20epi, thought I’d try something not too expensive from the stash to work on the technique. Selvedges are a bit loopy, maybe I’ll do better at that next time. Definitely want to try this with wool.

IMG_1886

Sandra
    Keymaster

Hi Rita – the answer to your question is right at the beginning of Season 1, right at the beginning of Episode 2.

Ginette has created and maintains a wonderful index of all the episodes and topics.  You can find it right at the top of the Guild episodes page.  That is one place you can often find the answer to your questions quickly so you can get on with weaving 😉

For example:  skein – how to wind from skein winder to bobbin  1.2, 0:57

In my loom room – silk is wound onto the large bobbins and stays there for use as warp and weft.  I tape the little label from the skein onto the top of the bobbin so that I know what kind of silk I have and the colour.

rita.msmiller
    Participant

A bit confused here… Clarification needed before I start to use silk on this scarf…

I bought silk skeins from JST store and placed it on a yarn swift and made it into a ball… thinking I would then move it from the balls onto my plastic bobbins using it for the weft in this project on scarfs.

Is this how it is done? or is more correct to place it from the skein unto the cones…. I was given tons of cardboard cones when I got my loom, (never used them) and I am thinking how would I use these cardboard cones?  I have a sectional warp, have not used silk yet for warping or weft.

Sorry this may be two questions.

How to move silk skeins  into the correct form for weft? and how to move skeins into a correct form for using for warp?

Sandra
    Keymaster

All of you are doing such stunning work!  👏👏👏

mbartlo
    Participant

68BF5993-3B47-43D1-B590-329461F56CD7

This might be my new favorite episode. 20/2 tussah silk warp, 20/2 painted silk weft. 24epi, 22 ppi. Hot iron to bring out the sheen. So much fun to start the year weaving holes in my cloth.

Ellen Redman
    Participant

First time trying this technique and what fun!  8\2 Tencel sett at the dreaded 20epi. I just went for squares. EE950E0C-5262-4F70-8010-6BF721AE7871

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  Ellen Redman.

Good day all.

Warp is Zephyr wool silk in three colours; 12 ends per stripe slewed at 18 epi.  I wove four scarves, two without horizontal denting for gentlemen and two with horizontal denting for ladies.  One scarf has a black cashmere weft; the others Zephyr.  I had hoped the scarves which were dented in both direction would move more so the dark threads framing the stripes would become curved.  This did not seem to happen.  I washed the scarves by hand.  I believe I may need to process them a bit more but was unsure when to stop.  Would appreciate input on finishing.

Much Fun and a great way to get the most out of expensive yarns.  This is the total thrums.  I unknotted the knots on the front apron and pulled the header out before making the fringe.  This i what was cut off the warp beam after the fringe was made.

IMG_3343IMG_3341

dboblock
    Participant

I’m loving this work with denting. Just finished my first scarf but feel that it would be enhanced by having more plaits of fringe. Is there a way to add more plaited fringe to scarves?

Ruth Johnson
    Participant

This denting is very fun! I did a couple scarves in a fine alpaca/silk blend with some zephyr thrown in here and there. Totally beautiful HOWEVER I found that my selvages were on the “loopy” side. I don’t normally have any problem with selvages as I am firmly in the habit of letting the weft “take what it wants” to avoid draw in. With a more open warp is it necessary to keep extra tension on? I am thinking that is a reasonable fix but it seems a little counter intuitive.

Betty.allen
    Participant

Beautiful scarf. Good job.

Sandra
    Keymaster

Congratulations!  It looks wonderful 👏👏👏

strong61
    Participant

Wonderful challenge!  My first woven scarf.  Unfortunately my first thread in the reed broke more than once but managed to rescue it.

Scarf - Session 3

carol.kaminsky
    Participant

Hi Ginette,

Thank you for you suggestions.  I think I will try re-slaying and use a 1 inch grid per your suggestion.  Will post the outcome.

Carol

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi Carol,

I would do a couple more samples.

I think if you resley your reed in 1 inch grids (16 threads threaded 1,1,2 in your 12 dent reed) and maybe have 7 empty dents. Also, weave 16 threads per dented section to make one inch squares.

If you wanted to keep your 1/2 inch grids, adding a few extra empty dents in each of those sections might help.  Also, when you wove your dented sections, did you keep them at 8 picks per dented areas? Counting your colour changes, I count 6 threads per dented section. If they are 6 weft shots per dented area, increase them to 8 for the 1/2 inch grid.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.