Season 3: Episode 1 – Denting

Forums Weaving Discussion Season 3: Episode 1 – Denting

Tagged: 

Viewing 67 reply threads
  • Author
      Sandra
      Keymaster

And we’re off for another exciting year!  The first Episode of 2019 is now available – enjoy and let us know what sparks your imagination and how you use Denting.

carol1855wlr
        Participant

Quick question from a relatively new weaver:  for the silk thread in hanks, do you first wind it onto a cone before use, and then wind your warp and bobbins?  Seems the easiest thing to me.  I bought the kit, so it’s the 30/2 Bombyx Silk.

Sandra
          Keymaster

The easiest way (and most controlled way) to wind your silk is to use large bobbins.  Other weavers might have them in their stash that you could borrow or you can order them from Jane – Leclerc Styrene Spools with your silk order.  You can use them over and over again.  Jane shows us all how to do it back in Season 1: Episode 2 right at the beginning of that video.

Dee Dee
            Participant

Hello! Relatively new weaver here from Northern California. 🙂 I’ve been watching seasons 1 and 2 back episodes over the past few weeks, and don’t recall Jane talking about adjusting the sett for selvedges. With dish towels and table linens I  doubled up a few edge selvedge threads—based on a technique I heard about in the Dixon book, if I recall correctly. Should consider doing the same for this first sample? I’m excited for this first project and will start winding my warp this afternoon—yay!!

Sandra
                Keymaster

Hi Dee Dee, I’ve very rarely double up selvedge threads over the years, but if that’s what feels right to you – do it!  On the other hand – Jane’s mantra as you weave “throw, beat, change, beater back” goes a long way to getting good selvedges 😉

sophieab
                Participant

Dear Jane and All – Just went out to my “studio” and looked at my stash – to my surprise I do not have any 16/2 cotton nor 30/2 silk! Hate to spend any more money on yarn – is there any other I can substitute? I have 10/2 and 20/2 cotton as well as 60/2 silk. What do you suggest? Many thanks as always.

Sophie Britten

Three Rivers, CA USA

fudsy1
                  Participant

I asked over at the video but will post here too.   when working with the silk, should the hemstitch be done in cotton like the warp or should I use the silk?  I’m worried about it slipping off

fudsy1
                    Participant

Made a small sample on my Jane table loom just so see what denting was all about. That was fun and I can’t wait to make a silk sample and then onto scarfs

C39FC081-671B-431C-B587-AE5E43D802605439CF89-53A9-474C-A012-5139978877AC

Sandra
                      Keymaster

Hi Sophie, I think the 10/2 cotton and 20/2 silk would work well together.  JMHO  Let’s see if anyone else weighs in on your question.

Sandra
                        Keymaster

Which one did you end up using for your hemstitch fudsy1?  Are you happy with your results?  Your samples look great!

I usually use my weft as my hemstitch and because of the fringes/hem it stays put.

fudsy1
                            Participant

this is just the one sample before and after wet finishing..  I was just so giddy this morning looking at it all nice and dry. I have never made anything so delicate..   Later I’ll try the silk sample then scarf.  Don’t know where I’d wear them (we live very rural )  Another thought is to make several more small ones a dresser scarves and such.  We shall see what my imagination comes up with

Sheila
                            Participant

Hi! For the “squish and kiss” scarf how fine a yarn is recommended and can you suggest ppi for the squish and ppi for the kiss?  Would there possibly be a ratio of 2:1 or…? I have some 2/14 alpaca/silk. Would that be fine enough? Thank you!

Betty.allen
                              Participant

A wee bit of a scarf but so fun  .  The last photo is before fulling.  It was only 6” in reed and 4” fulled  .  But I love it and wore it to church this morning😊. C66F4F34-2690-4801-AE76-E6BCE1CBDC7E0F26F381-666B-4989-BD92-E458D7D43ADFFC5E3D9A-5F01-45A1-ABC6-5655EAEB5AB8

fudsy1
                                  Participant

I really love the color choice, was the weft cotton or silk?  looks silk…   I finished my small samples and want to move onto a scarf today

Betty.allen
                                      Participant

The warp was Jaggerspyn/Zephyr that I had left over from a project in the past. I only had enough for a 6” warp in reed, but it was about 86” long.  Since I didn’t have anymore of that yarn I found some bamboo that was a similar size and used it for the weft. I think it’s really a fun project. It is light as a feather. I weight it yesterday and it weighed .9 oz😳

Ellen Black
                                      Participant

Beautiful!

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by Ellen Black.
                                      lovemk
                                      Participant

arrgg!!  Just finished threading the heddles for my denting sample and realize I did not lash the apron rods together.  They are tied just at the ends to hold them together but not across the length of the rods…..do I need to care about this or just carry on?  Thanks.

Sandra
                                          Keymaster

Not to worry, lovemaking!  Our handy/dandy JST Helpline is there to answer your question.  Check out Forgot my Lashing Cords

Susan Jaken
                                          Participant

Creating that set chart is a great idea.  However, up to this point I hadn’t been recording Jane’s sett recommendations from the “at the table” sessions.  Any chance she could fill in some of those to help us get our charts started?  Thanks..  sue.

fudsy1
                                              Participant

Hi Sue,

I had done that at first then scrambled for a pencil and watched again and paused each time to make lots of notes.. as a baby weaver, for me that is beauty of these being recorded, I can go back and watch and make notes even count repeats and take screen shots of things I like and work the pattern out.  She makes my brain hurt with exercise and I love it 🙂  happy weaving

Allan
                                              Participant

Hi all,,

The reed required for the denting project has 12 dpi, warp ends dented as follows:-

2,2,2,2,2,2,0,0,0,0,0,0 etc – giving 12 ends per 1/2″ in the ‘warped’ sections.

My closest reed to this is 10 dpi  so presumably I should dent the warp ends as follows,:-

2,3,2,3,2,0,0,0,0,0 etc – again giving the equivalent of 12 ends per 1/2″ section in the ‘warped’ sections.

My only concern is that, with an extra end in two out of 5 dents, in such an open weave I may get some warp pairing? Or will it not be of any consequence?

I’ll probably have to try this anyway – a new 12 dpi reed (110cm x 12cm) here in the UK will cost anywhere between £100-£140 (170-238CAD).

Cheers

Allan

ps. perhaps I should bite the new reed bullet – from memory, you often specify a 12dpi reed in your projects.

Sandra
                                                  Keymaster

I think there would be plenty of room for your warp to move around as you are washing it!  Why don’t you make a sample, see if you like the results and share a photo with us?  We’d love to see what you created.

carol1855wlr
                                                  Participant

I have a question about working with the silk.  My bobbin winder does not accommodate spools (I use a drill with a bit that holds bobbins).  I do own a cone winder (I don’t mean a center pull ball winder) and was wondering if you see a problem winding my silk skeins I purchased from you onto cones instead of spools as Jane demonstrates.  I can’t afford the electric bobbin winder Jane uses right now and need to try equipment I already own.  Thank you for your help!

Sandra
                                                      Keymaster

Have you got a part skein of a slippery yarn you could test on your cone winder?  My feeling is that the most important thing is to wind it very tight on whatever you have so that it’s under control.  It will want to slip as you are winding your bobbin from it ;-(

Or, do you have access to an empty spool – similar to what Jane uses?  It might fit on the rod on your drill and you could do it that way.  That way your silk would be secured between the two ends of the spool. Let us know what works for you.

carol1855wlr
                                                          Participant

Hi Sandra,

I too was worried about slippage.  The drill attachment for bobbins is way, way too small a diameter to work on spools.  I have spools (from The Woolery).  I do place my cones horizontally when I wind my warp and when I wind bobbins.  I too thought a tight wind would be necessary to hopefully minimize the silk from slipping.  I don’t own anything else as slippery as silk to use for a test.  I may just have to try it with part of a skein and see what happens.  That or wait until I can afford a good bobbin winder like Jane uses.  Thanks for your input!

gabi-tomas
                                                              Participant

Carol at the building market they sell little plastic pipes which they use for insulating electric wires I think. They crimp when heated. I hope you know what I mean. I used them to increase the diameter of my bobbin winder when I still had plastic bobbins. (I prefer the cardboard ones). Maybe this will work for yours as well. They are easy to remove if necessary.

carol1855wlr
                                                                  Participant

Gabi, thanks for the suggestion.  I never thought of using that.  I’ll look for some at Lowes and give it a try.

rita.msmiller
                                                              Participant

A bit confused here… Clarification needed before I start to use silk on this scarf…

I bought silk skeins from JST store and placed it on a yarn swift and made it into a ball… thinking I would then move it from the balls onto my plastic bobbins using it for the weft in this project on scarfs.

Is this how it is done? or is more correct to place it from the skein unto the cones…. I was given tons of cardboard cones when I got my loom, (never used them) and I am thinking how would I use these cardboard cones?  I have a sectional warp, have not used silk yet for warping or weft.

Sorry this may be two questions.

How to move silk skeins  into the correct form for weft? and how to move skeins into a correct form for using for warp?

Sandra
                                                                  Keymaster

Hi Rita – the answer to your question is right at the beginning of Season 1, right at the beginning of Episode 2.

Ginette has created and maintains a wonderful index of all the episodes and topics.  You can find it right at the top of the Guild episodes page.  That is one place you can often find the answer to your questions quickly so you can get on with weaving 😉

For example:  skein – how to wind from skein winder to bobbin  1.2, 0:57

In my loom room – silk is wound onto the large bobbins and stays there for use as warp and weft.  I tape the little label from the skein onto the top of the bobbin so that I know what kind of silk I have and the colour.

rita.msmiller
                                                                      Participant

Thank you for responding so fast to my question about winding silk Sandra.  Now that I wound the silk from the skeins into balls, I will have to get them onto the bobbins…. I saw the video and am hoping this goes easy…if there are suggestions to make this an easier process please advise… I think I will put the ball into a large pottery bowl and see what happens…those early episodes need to be watched over and over again… always something to be applied as you go on this journey… thank you

• #64472
                                                                          Sandra
                                                                          Keymaster

All I would suggest is that you wind the silk onto the bobbin slowly and carefully.  You don’t want it to tangle coming off the large bobbin when you are winding your warp.  Actually, if you are using 20/2 silk and using it for warp – wind 1/2 of the weight of the ball onto 2 cones.  20/2 silk works far more happily as warp if wound 2 threads together, which will work if you have it on 2 bobbins.

Betty.allen
                                                                    Participant

So many options B3804F43-87E7-4F76-BF65-2083F75BDA907F311B93-301F-46B0-9083-ADBA8DCCBB670B3033B9-7284-4D7A-AEAE-79556CABB6DC

Ginette
                                                                        Keymaster

Beautiful Betty! You’re on a roll 🙂

• #63451
                                                                            Betty.allen
                                                                            Participant

Thank you Ginette.  It has been so much fun and enlightening as to what you can do with a weave structure.  Ideas are circling!  Betty

• #63452
                                                                            fudsy1
                                                                            Participant

Betty, yours turned out very pretty.

• #66333
                                                                              Ellen Black
                                                                              Participant

Beautiful ! What did you use?

0
                                                                            • #63453
                                                                              fudsy1
                                                                              Participant

At the end of my warp I had 2 samples to keep for future reference. Then I wove 3 scarves.  One with the cotton warp, another with the 30/2 silk (my favorite). the last scarf was made with leftover black 2/18 wool and a mystery fuchsia yarn I found in my stash.  Once wet finished spread out through the whole warp.  It’ very shear looking and I’m pleased with all three.   Now back to working on season 2 Plaid E35D4ADF-08A6-4F6E-B2E8-C0ED9B72EFB9CF7D029C-8ACD-4A7C-95F0-9635583E01B6174E2801-F43E-42A7-8B6F-4750DE5B07BA82BFB755-630E-41E9-8252-22892C4CBE525F0D9298-5D3A-479E-A03C-FE382641915F

0
                                                                                • #66335
                                                                                  Ellen Black
                                                                                  Participant

Very pretty ! Thanks for noting what you used.

0
                                                                                • #63511
                                                                                  Maureen Janda
                                                                                  Participant

I love your scarves, fudsy1.  They look so pretty on that coat.

correction: I should have said outfit I think.

0
                                                                                    • #63512
                                                                                      mqx
                                                                                      Participant

835C1238-5A25-4DAD-A829-E71619A5F70D

0
                                                                                        • #63522
                                                                                          fudsy1
                                                                                          Participant

MQX  – I love your colors and looking forward to the finished pieces

0
                                                                                        • #63513
                                                                                          mqx
                                                                                          Participant

Tencel  is going smoothly835C1238-5A25-4DAD-A829-E71619A5F70D

0
                                                                                        • #63520
                                                                                          Maureen Janda
                                                                                          Participant

I have some JST Bambu in “cloud” that I’m thinking of trying if it’s not too slippery. I’m not sure if it’s Bambu 7 or 12. I ordered the 12, but the label inside the cone says ”Bambu 7GG”.  Maybe alternate pics in cotton and Bambu would be more stable?

0
                                                                                            • #63525
                                                                                              Sandra
                                                                                              Keymaster

Maureen, the Bamboo 7 gauge is closer to 8/2 cotton while the Bamboo 12 gauge is closer to  the 20/2 silk, if that helps you figure out which bamboo you have in your stash.

0
                                                                                            • #63521
                                                                                              carol.kaminsky
                                                                                              Participant

874D7D0F-075E-4C92-A876-E954587D545C

I’ve done a small sample of Denting with 5/2 cotton, in a 12 dent reed set at 16 epi, with a 1/2 inch grid.  This put 8 ends per grid, dented at 1.1.2.  My project is 11.75 inches on the loom.  This is a 15” four harness Dorothy usining all four harnesses.  As you can see in the photo my warp just spread out in the wash.  I have re-read and re-watched everything.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

0
                                                                                                • #63526
                                                                                                  Ginette
                                                                                                  Keymaster

Hi Carol,

I would do a couple more samples.

I think if you resley your reed in 1 inch grids (16 threads threaded 1,1,2 in your 12 dent reed) and maybe have 7 empty dents. Also, weave 16 threads per dented section to make one inch squares.

If you wanted to keep your 1/2 inch grids, adding a few extra empty dents in each of those sections might help.  Also, when you wove your dented sections, did you keep them at 8 picks per dented areas? Counting your colour changes, I count 6 threads per dented section. If they are 6 weft shots per dented area, increase them to 8 for the 1/2 inch grid.

0
                                                                                                    • #63532
                                                                                                      carol.kaminsky
                                                                                                      Participant

Hi Ginette,

Thank you for you suggestions.  I think I will try re-slaying and use a 1 inch grid per your suggestion.  Will post the outcome.

Carol

0
                                                                                                    • #66190
                                                                                                      heidi
                                                                                                      Participant

x

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by heidi.
                                                                                                        0
                                                                                                    • #63816
                                                                                                      strong61
                                                                                                      Participant

Wonderful challenge!  My first woven scarf.  Unfortunately my first thread in the reed broke more than once but managed to rescue it.

Scarf - Session 3

0
                                                                                                        • #63817
                                                                                                          Sandra
                                                                                                          Keymaster

Congratulations!  It looks wonderful 👏👏👏

0
                                                                                                          • #63825
                                                                                                            Betty.allen
                                                                                                            Participant

Beautiful scarf. Good job.

0
                                                                                                          • #63859
                                                                                                            Ruth Johnson
                                                                                                            Participant

This denting is very fun! I did a couple scarves in a fine alpaca/silk blend with some zephyr thrown in here and there. Totally beautiful HOWEVER I found that my selvages were on the “loopy” side. I don’t normally have any problem with selvages as I am firmly in the habit of letting the weft “take what it wants” to avoid draw in. With a more open warp is it necessary to keep extra tension on? I am thinking that is a reasonable fix but it seems a little counter intuitive.

0
                                                                                                            • #63951
                                                                                                              dboblock
                                                                                                              Participant

I’m loving this work with denting. Just finished my first scarf but feel that it would be enhanced by having more plaits of fringe. Is there a way to add more plaited fringe to scarves?

0
                                                                                                              • #64122

Good day all.

Warp is Zephyr wool silk in three colours; 12 ends per stripe slewed at 18 epi.  I wove four scarves, two without horizontal denting for gentlemen and two with horizontal denting for ladies.  One scarf has a black cashmere weft; the others Zephyr.  I had hoped the scarves which were dented in both direction would move more so the dark threads framing the stripes would become curved.  This did not seem to happen.  I washed the scarves by hand.  I believe I may need to process them a bit more but was unsure when to stop.  Would appreciate input on finishing.

Much Fun and a great way to get the most out of expensive yarns.  This is the total thrums.  I unknotted the knots on the front apron and pulled the header out before making the fringe.  This i what was cut off the warp beam after the fringe was made.

IMG_3343IMG_3341

0
                                                                                                              • #64139
                                                                                                                Ellen Redman
                                                                                                                Participant

First time trying this technique and what fun!  8\2 Tencel sett at the dreaded 20epi. I just went for squares. EE950E0C-5262-4F70-8010-6BF721AE7871

0
                                                                                                                  • #65075
                                                                                                                    the1to1
                                                                                                                    Participant

Ellen Redman,

I am using 8/2 variegated tencel and think your scarf is lovely! Would you mind sharing your set up?  I was planning on using 20 epi just for simplicity.  (2/dent for 5 dents with 5 empty dents) Is this what you did?  I’ve started a 3-1/2 yard warp but haven’t finalized how many ends yet, what did you have?  Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  The last time I used tencel was not a fun experience–so many broken threads.  I am going to use my table loom that has flat steel heddles so hopefully that will help.

Your zingers  look great!

Thanks, Carla

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by the1to1.
                                                                                                                      0
                                                                                                                      • #65113
                                                                                                                        Ellen Redman
                                                                                                                        Participant

Hi Carla,

In order to make the math easy I just used a 10 dent reed and wound 110 ends, two per dent, 5 dents empty just as you thought.  So 11 “stripes”.  I found I was starting to break end threads so loosened my tension quite a bit, which solved the problem.  Tencel can be a bit fussy.  Hope that’s helpful.

Thanks for the kind words.  I was pretty pleased with the way it turned out  Looking forward to seeing yours!

Best,

Ellen

0
                                                                                                                    • #64147
                                                                                                                      mbartlo
                                                                                                                      Participant

68BF5993-3B47-43D1-B590-329461F56CD7

This might be my new favorite episode. 20/2 tussah silk warp, 20/2 painted silk weft. 24epi, 22 ppi. Hot iron to bring out the sheen. So much fun to start the year weaving holes in my cloth.

0
                                                                                                                      • #64161
                                                                                                                        Sandra
                                                                                                                        Keymaster

All of you are doing such stunning work!  👏👏👏

0
                                                                                                                        • #64438
                                                                                                                          Annette Beasley
                                                                                                                          Participant

Not quite as exciting as all those who used coloured yarns…Used Henry’s Attic 10/2 warp twist sett at 20epi, thought I’d try something not too expensive from the stash to work on the technique. Selvedges are a bit loopy, maybe I’ll do better at that next time. Definitely want to try this with wool.

IMG_1886

0
                                                                                                                            • #64449
                                                                                                                              Ginette
                                                                                                                              Keymaster

Annette, there’s such a beauty in weaving with natural colour! I’m a huge fan 😉  Your scarf is absolutely beautiful!

0
                                                                                                                                • #64459
                                                                                                                                  Annette Beasley
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Thanks Ginette, I’m a big fan of the naturals too, also love the simplicity of it.

0
                                                                                                                              • #64594
                                                                                                                                Michelle
                                                                                                                                Participant

26070771-FD67-4FE2-8921-42E04E0470848D138188-2E22-4252-AB2D-9711A20D984BHere are my samples from the 1st episode Denting. Loved the cloth that this created and will certainly make more. The drape is unbelievable. The brightly coloured scarves were woven from leftovers and odds and ends that I had in my stash. I then tied on some 2/16 tartan wool for the next warp and wove that with silk for one scarf with horizontal denting and the solid scarf used SW merino wool in lace weight and some Zephyr when I ran out. 11B79C95-B618-490B-993E-86411E2D0DB66E33EED2-FF07-47E3-B1B8-83686D9F3F2E

0
                                                                                                                                  • #64595
                                                                                                                                    Ginette
                                                                                                                                    Keymaster

They are all beautiful Michelle! You’re horizontal denting sure turned out, wow, good for you for trying this out!

0
                                                                                                                                      • #64761
                                                                                                                                        mqx
                                                                                                                                        Participant

I got carried away this is 5 yards long and now need to finish wondering if I should cut in half it’s too longCA4B6C89-8B95-450F-B9AD-CE0C40CF40237CAE3916-8445-438E-BBC0-288E77BCA033

0
                                                                                                                                    • #64763
                                                                                                                                      Sandra
                                                                                                                                      Keymaster

Have you allotted for your fringes on both, plus shrinkage?  I just measured one of mine, it’s a little over 2 yards not including the fringe and it could be longer, and I’m short 😉  Let us know what you decide to do.

0
                                                                                                                                      • #64847
                                                                                                                                        Mardi Naythons
                                                                                                                                        Participant

• 5DD0463A-192A-4CA7-801F-90915162895B
                                                                                                                                          0
                                                                                                                                        • #64918
                                                                                                                                          Martha
                                                                                                                                          Participant

What beautiful examples everyone has displayed!  I used a bit heavier yarn (from my stash) and sett it a little closer than I would have determined by the wpi.  After sampling, I sett it a little closer still.  I loved things on the loom and the look as I was weaving.  The yarn is a cotton and polyester blend, so there wasn’t much shrinkage in the sample.  However, after wet finishing the final products, I lost all the vertical dents!  It seems the threads all migrated across those lovely spaces!  Maybe it was because of the threads I used?  I still like the appearance with horizontal spaces intact, but any ideas about this?  Thank you!

0
                                                                                                                                          • #65284
                                                                                                                                            heidi
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Taking advantage of plain weave and my rigid heddle loom. Using DK wool alpaca/merino with 12.5 RH reed, with 6 dents filled and 8 dents empty. My sample with 6 dents threaded and 6 dents empty didn’t have warp empty spaces, so I increased the empty dents to 8.

Sadly, the final version didn’t have the open spaces between the warp threads but the weft had a lovely effect.

Any suggestions on how I might achieve more of the empty square effect?

29D9A60B-F0D2-4F3E-BEC2-B6E3ECB14F5F529620DF-1C00-41BF-8AC4-58E49270FDE1

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by heidi.
                                                                                                                                              0
                                                                                                                                            • #65287
                                                                                                                                              carol.kaminsky
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Annette, your white scarf is beautiful.  I’m relatively new to weaving and haven’t heard of “twist sett”,  can you explain please?

Thank you, Carol

0
                                                                                                                                              • #65538
                                                                                                                                                Penny
                                                                                                                                                Participant

F55A6343-BCF8-4ED1-B117-D792E86837957167FFD2-E497-4E59-AD86-7C9CFF1C32A27B39B419-824A-403F-80D5-47FF40A74097

On the loom, off the loom and now washed and ironed. 70%wool 30% alpaca sett at 20epi, but the holes have all but disappeared so I think I could have widened the sett quite a bit. Still, apart from some wavy edges it is lovely and light and feels so soft. Next time I’ll do a bit better!

penny

0
                                                                                                                                                • #65552
                                                                                                                                                  Jacqueline
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Thanks Penny for posting, really interesting to see just how much that wool/alpaca bloomed.

0
                                                                                                                                                  • #65889
                                                                                                                                                    Sylvia
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

I love the episode with denting.

Have a question in regards to washing and the feel afterwards.

My sampled 16/2 cotton and 16/2 cotton warp with 30/2 silk weft, have great drape, but they feels a bit crisp. With the materials and the drape have thought they were softer. Used Dawn to wash them and followed what Jane did in the video.

Any suggestions on how to make them softer?

Sylvia

0
                                                                                                                                                      • #65893
                                                                                                                                                        Sandra
                                                                                                                                                        Keymaster

Have you pressed them, Sylvia?  They do look gorgeous!

0
                                                                                                                                                          • #65894
                                                                                                                                                            Sylvia
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Yes pressed with steam. I can try and press again and see if it changes

0
                                                                                                                                                            • #66336
                                                                                                                                                              Sylvia
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

I pressed the scarves again and used a lot more steam. What a change in the feel. Also rewatched the wet finishing episode from Season 1. Thanks for the help

0
                                                                                                                                                          • #65890
                                                                                                                                                            Sylvia
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

58455F3F-F510-48FF-84A9-0D1545B7AFC2

Cotton and Silk

1
                                                                                                                                                            • #65986
                                                                                                                                                              kathleen ready
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

7E1ECF63-FB07-4092-8D1A-19CA0B3D9D04EBCDB87C-C87C-4AE6-9DE4-F621DC674798My scarf was woven with 2/16 cotton and 2/20 tussah silk. My samples were cotton (a few shots with sequins) and zephyr wool/ silk. Would  I open up to 20 epi or make spaces larger for a scarf  as the spaces were smaller due to blooming of zephyr?9B912931-FD08-4BF2-96AD-7491837C0B0F

1
                                                                                                                                                              • #66173
                                                                                                                                                                dlgorham
                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Denting episode is so much fun!  I made 4 scarves; first using 16/2 cotton and the others w/2-ply wool just as fine as the cotton.  What a riot.

Denting-16:2 cotton 4 color warp & weft

1
                                                                                                                                                                • #66174
                                                                                                                                                                  dlgorham
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Here’s my 2nd scarf:  charcoal, buff and cream white wool for weft.

Denting-charcoal, buff & cream white

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by dlgorham.
                                                                                                                                                                    1
                                                                                                                                                                  • #66176
                                                                                                                                                                    dlgorham
                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

The 4th scarf I made is probably my favorite.  Husband grimaced when I said I was using pink, but I like it.  For some reason it reminds me of old fashioned fashion, early Vogue, Breakfast at Tiffany’s….  Anyway, pink and cream white wool weft.

Denting-pink:creamDenting-pink & cream white wool weft w:cotton warp

2
                                                                                                                                                                    • #66177
                                                                                                                                                                      dlgorham
                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Here’s my 3rd scarf.  I must’ve posted it incorrectly the first time – sorry.  The weft is 2-ply wool in charcoal, dove grey and cream white.

Denting-charcoal, dove grey, cream white wool; cotton warp

2
                                                                                                                                                                      • #66328
                                                                                                                                                                        Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

I love getting the kits from Jane.  Makes getting to the weaving so much faster and enjoyable.

In this case though to fine for me to work with.

I have plenty if 8/2 cotton.  And I have Jaggerspun.       What weight tencel or silk would work with this and what would be the sett ?   Thank you

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by Ellen Black.
                                                                                                                                                                          0
                                                                                                                                                                        • #66346
                                                                                                                                                                          Anne in Alger
                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

155053241290012782597615505324747451304319802

16/2 cotton warp. Wefts 16/2 cotton,  30/2 silk and, wool-mohair handspun.  Each one had qualities I liked. It was a fun project.

1
                                                                                                                                                                          • #66347
                                                                                                                                                                            Sylvia
                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

4E2864C7-AB83-4849-8995-170F84AEFCCB

Denting is so much fun. Did another cotton warp and used, cotton, 30/2 silk and Bambu7. I’m surprised how soft the Bamboo is.

1
                                                                                                                                                                            • #66355
                                                                                                                                                                              carol1855wlr
                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Everyone’s scarves are so gorgeous; I can’t wait to get my looms out of storage and get started!

0
                                                                                                                                                                              • #67337
                                                                                                                                                                                debzx1
                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

So annoyed with myself!  I just finsihed threading through the warp and thought it looked too narrow!  Realised I hadn’t wound a whole colour of 24 threads!!  Any suggestions?  My thought at the moment is to weave and then put two halves together.

Debbie

0
                                                                                                                                                                                • #67345
                                                                                                                                                                                  carol.kaminsky
                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Debbie,

I did something very similar with my first Denting project.  I put half of each color in my warp chain and didn’t realize something was wrong until I had woven a small sample.  I added the additional yarn as if it were a supplemental warp.  I had to rethread the loom but it was well worth it in the end.  Here are the two samples side by side.  The corrected one is the larger of the two.   Hope this helps!  Carol3F6CC047-29CD-4908-8C26-282171A8732E

1
                                                                                                                                                                                    • #67423
                                                                                                                                                                                      debzx1
                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Thank you Carol…how did you wind the supplementary warp on?

0
                                                                                                                                                                                        • #67716
                                                                                                                                                                                          carol.kaminsky
                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Hi Debbie,

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I broke my wrest and had to have surgery.  I hope this doesn’t come too late.

I added the additional warp yarn by leaving the loom threaded until I was ready to rethread the entire warp.

Here are the steps I took to add the additional warp:

1)  I placed the additional warp on a rod with lease stick in place.

2) Rolled the original warp off the back beam chaining it as I went and using a few choke ties in addition to chaining.

3) Dividing my original warp into small bundles to keep it from shifting, I wrapped each bundle with thread and tied a knot as close to the rod as possible.

4) I positioned the additional warp on the rod at the area it needed to be added.  And tied the rod with the new warp onto the rod with the original warp.  Then I wound both warps onto the back beam together making sure to maintain equal tension.

5) I unthreaded the original warp in small bundles at a time, and used a slip knot to keep each bundle in order.

6) Working with the bundles from the original warp and the threads from the lease sticks of the new warp,  I managed to have the whole thing rethreaded in no time.

Carol

0
                                                                                                                                                                                      • #68054

59EAA56F-F8A3-4222-B951-EA6C68E0569A

BCD33DFB-6474-42DE-B1D2-88B217D87808

I still love it but did I do something wrong?  This is a Silk Noil.  Once washed it seems to have moved a lot.  Not pulling selvages where I did a little cramming.  Is it just the nature of the fiber?

1
                                                                                                                                                                                        • #68061
                                                                                                                                                                                          Sandra
                                                                                                                                                                                          Keymaster

My guess is that it depends on the silk noil, I’ve had some loosely spun and others tightly spun.  Yours didn’t seem to hold on even when crammed.  It’s a beautiful scarf, though.  Was the silk noil in both the warp and weft?

0
                                                                                                                                                                                          • #68078

It was used for both warp and weft.

0
                                                                                                                                                                                        • #68106
                                                                                                                                                                                          Sandra
                                                                                                                                                                                          Keymaster

Did you somewhat firmly weave your weft sections – in the manner that Jane demonstrates while she is weaving her shawl?  It starts around the 21 minute mark in video 1 of the Denting episode.  I like your shawl the way it is but a review might help if you want to make another one.

0
                                                                                                                                                                                          • #68519
                                                                                                                                                                                            Janet
                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

869ADD0C-042A-4C71-B51A-67731954996A438D23FD-5348-48C3-BB9F-4F6EBA3F53E1

I used left overs from the Parrot project and love the way it looks!  It was hard for me to get a rhythm though and I tucked and clipped all the little ends, which was a pain – curious to see how it holds up.  I hand washed and tossed in the dryer til it was kind of dry, then ironed.

1
                                                                                                                                                                                              • #68559
                                                                                                                                                                                                Ginette
                                                                                                                                                                                                Keymaster

Beautiful Janet, that’s quite the transformation of the Parrot colours!! Kudos!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                              • #68782
                                                                                                                                                                                                Karen
                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by Karen.
                                                                                                                                                                                                  0
                                                                                                                                                                                                • #69425
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Carrie
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

I love seeing everyone’s projects!  They are all very inspiring!  Here are my denting projects:

41262C35-342A-466A-AEEA-D8D879C89474A0AEE046-A052-456C-85C8-4CDB8BA7DAC8EABE0969-4F84-4E27-A860-13940AEEBAB1

‘The first scarf was woven in pattern in the cotton, the second one was done in cotton without denting in the weft and the last one was done with merino in the weft.  The second one ended up being a bit stiff.  I really like the other two.  They seemed to be kind of crazy while they were being woven , but look great after finishing.

1
                                                                                                                                                                                                    • #69427
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Ginette
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Keymaster

They all look so great Carrie! I like how each one is so different.

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                    • #69429
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Jacqueline
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Carrie, they all look lovely, I might have to give the merino a try!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                      • #69767
                                                                                                                                                                                                        shrewdkate.dailey0
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

3CCC0FA0-C365-445F-BA15-16CA96D916EF

I received a real compliment today when our Guild newsletter editor asked if I would allow my scarf could be on front page of our member newsletter!!

1
                                                                                                                                                                                                        • #69768
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Jae
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

I really enjoyed this!  One half was black and the other was part of the muted gamp from last season.  I used 16/2 cotton for the warp and weft for 3 scarves and 30/2 silk for another.  The silk seemed to allow the warp threads move more than the cotton. Something to remember for the future.

IMG_1259bIMG_1255a

All the project details are here

1
                                                                                                                                                                                                            • #69795
                                                                                                                                                                                                              Sandra
                                                                                                                                                                                                              Keymaster

You both have made stunning dented pieces!  👏👏👏

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                            • #70478
                                                                                                                                                                                                              kristina
                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Finished two scarves using the denting technique. FullSizeRender.jpg-1FullSizeRender.jpg

2
                                                                                                                                                                                                              • #74601
                                                                                                                                                                                                                rita.msmiller
                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

My daughter is getting married in September, I am wrapping this up for her bridal shower.  I used JST 16/2 warp colors bleached and ivory.  The ivory almost looks like gold..  The warp was Jaggerspun, white and vanilla.  Very happy, finished width is 15 inches … I had 8% shrinkage, and hoped it would be wider… length finished was 72 inches with 7 inch fringe on both sides… I hope my Emily enjoys this little surprise, maybe something she can use at her wedding, not a shawl but a nice wrap…. this pattern was perfect for my skill level and looks so delicately wonderful… thank you for leading the way on this for us JST!!fullsizeoutput_6ba4fullsizeoutput_6ba2fullsizeoutput_6b87

1
                                                                                                                                                                                                                • #75963
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Clare
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

I did this one in 16/2 cotton with 30/2 silk in Grantius green for the weft. A few asymmetrical details in the cotton81F4DC40-1328-491B-B04D-3EBF4FC828B578B7156E-E27B-48F3-8FE1-ED8F3511E8C13A9344A0-B6D4-4B34-9613-19CCB03361C1 on one end. Magical!

1
                                                                                                                                                                                                                    • #75985
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Jae
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Clare, That is beautiful!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      • #75986
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Ginette
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Keymaster

It is gorgeous Clare! I love your touch of asymmetry at the one end!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      • #85295
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Sheila
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

20190814_120441I have not wet finished my scarves yet and am wondering about adding some random beads to the fringe. Warp is 8/2 cotton as is the weft in the first 2. The 3rd one the weft is silk. I’m torn between twisting the fringe or not, as well. Suggestions, input appreciated.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Sheila.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                          1
                                                                                                                                                                                                                          • #85351
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Ginette
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Keymaster

They look lovely Sheila! You could twist the fringes on one and wash it and see which one you like best. I haven’t added beads to fringes yet, but have seen folks that did it and they do look lovely as well. Maybe someone here has done that?

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              • #85401
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sheila
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Thanks Ginette. I decided to do the random beading on the first one with twisted fringe. Heading to the sink to wet finish. I will post a pic when it is done!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            • #110610
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Margaret Marcusen
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

I LOVE denting! So fast and easy. On this project I used 2/8 Tencel. 20 epi, 72” long, 14” wide in reed. Colors: Dark rust, rust and gold with hand dyed tencel in center.41D5FB45-F8B4-47B8-A5F1-FF59E583D061

1
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                • #110622
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Sandra
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Keymaster

Absolutely stunning, Margaret!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  • #110873
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    fudsy1
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

I absolutely over your choice of colors!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  • #152055
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Allyson Marbut
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

So many gorgeous scarves everyone is making!  I loved playing with the denting and had actually had a class in Atlanta when I first started learning how to weave on the floor loom. So, I jumped ahead while I waited for my yarn to come in for me to do the color and weave sample. Used what I had on hand to do the warp in 8/2 cotton.  Not sure I like the 8/2 and will try other yarns later.  The first sample from left to right – the yellow one is the last one I wove and it is with viscose linen and I really like how it came out.   After making some mistakes in the weft by not keeping track of the last row I had woven on some of the others, I was more diligent and careful with this one.   The second from the left was woven with 100% alpaca and I did not cut off between the rows and I did not like the wobbly selvedges – will take the time to cut – but it is a nice scarf.  The third from the left was 8/2 cotton warp and weft and really came out quiet nice with the exceptions of a few doubled weft threads.  PAY ATTENTION WOMAN!!! The far right was 50/50 alpaca wool and my least favorite as it is bulky and did not really show the separation of the yarns.  So, this was an opportunity for me to use some yarn up and to explore how different yarns worked in this piece.  Now back to sample 2!  I do want to make some dented scarves with some of Jane’s yard selections.IMG_1259

From left to right – all with 8/2 cotton warp – 1) yellow – viscose/linen blend 2) black – alpaca 3) peacock – 8/2 cotton 4) black 50/50 alpaca/wool (larger yarn and did not space well for good denting)

1
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    • #152066
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      dlgorham
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Allyson, I think your scarves – so much great color, texture – are very beautiful.  – Debbie

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      • #152187
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Allyson Marbut
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Thanks, Debbie. I don’t see a way to reply to you directly.  I appreciate your nice comments.  I started dressing the loom last night on the color and weave and ended up with some real tension problems even though I had done such a good job of creating the warp.  Jane makes it look so easy to just throw these things on the loom and I am like … I can do that easily … and then, NOT!  So I go back and watch the videos over and over again to see that ONE little detail I missed that caused me such grief.  But I will forge on and I am determined to get through these samples and get better.   Best to ya!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        • #152308
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          kherman2
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Has anyone used anything other than cotton for the warp? I want to weave several dented scarves in 2/14 Alpaca/Silk blend using it for both the warp and the weft. I cannot figure out what reed is best and then how to sley the reed. The recommended sett is 18-20 epi but I don’t want the scarf to be woven so tightly that it is stiff. Help needed please!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          • #152384
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Ginette
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Keymaster

Hi kherman2,

I would put on a sample warp first and do some testing. The 2/14 is a tad thicker than the 2/16 and you also need to consider some of the blooming when you’re washing the Alpaca/Silk combo. I would go with what the Denting Draft is and keep the same size grids of 1/2 inch and spacing. You might have to reduce a tad the amount of threads per grid but it should all work out with the same spacing as on the pattern. They sound like wonderful scarves 🙂

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            • #152461
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              kherman2
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Thank you Ginette. I’ll try it using the denting draft and see how it looks. I loved doing the dented cotton scarf but did want to weave some scarves with alpaca. We have an alpaca farm and a farm store where we sell alpaca products made from the fiber of our own animals and fiber that I source from Peru. I’m always looking to see what I can weave with alpaca.

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Viewing 67 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.