Season 3: Episode 2 – Cramming and Denting

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Season 3: Episode 2 – Cramming and Denting

This topic contains 68 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Geraldine 6 days, 13 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author

Karen
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 13
    • Totals: 14
    • Weaving wonder

Jane said that when people have problems with linen, it may be that they are using a jack loom. Don’t think I want to intentionally warp a loom with a project that is likely to have issues. I’ll research some more before I invest in linen.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by  Karen.

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 432
    • Totals: 459
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Karen, I think what Jane’s is saying (if I can put words in her mouth) is that she has never woven linen on a Jack loom herself.  If you have access to a bit of linen, why don’t you put on a sample on your loom to see how you manage.

Karen
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 13
    • Totals: 14
    • Weaving wonder

Is Jane recommending that we do not weave with linen if we only have access to a jack loom? She says she only uses countermarch or counter balance looms for weaving linen.

Giny
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 6
    • Totals: 6
    • Weaving wizard

Would it be possible to weave with linnen on the Megado or Octado loom.

I do have a David also, so no problem, just thinking if it would be possible.

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 386
    • Totals: 397
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Jacqueline,

Warping with one linen thread is fine especially if you only have one cone of one colour to work with.

Ginette

Jacqueline
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 53
    • Totals: 56
    • Weaving wonder

I know with silk Jane recommends warping with minimum 2 threads in hand, is this true for the 40/2 linen as well? Would it be fine with just single thread in hand?

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Weaving wonder

You’ve got it!  Jane probably warped with 4 threads in her hand which meant she needed to remove two.

Michelle
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 10
    • Totals: 10
    • Weaving wonder

In this episode Jane talked about reducing the ends at the selvedge. So do we only have 22 ends at the edges? 2 per dent at the selvedge  and then 4 per dent?

Thank you

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Weaving wonder

More adventures with our reeds!

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.