Season 3: Episode 2 – Cramming and Denting

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Season 3: Episode 2 – Cramming and Denting

This topic contains 67 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  lesliemartens2 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author

lesliemartens2
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3
    • Totals: 4
    • Weaving weeble

I combined the Parrot exercise in colour and division of space with cramming and denting and made this wrap – 2/8 cotton, 400 threads, 32epi, 16epi and 8 epi.  I loved the experience of “banging” in the crammed threads and delicately placing the open ones.  However, it would have been helpful to have seen Jane hemstitch her project  at the beginning.  Thank goodness I sampled, because when I did, I just hemstitched 4 threads at a time as normal, but it distorted my open sections.  When I did the project below I was much more careful to hemstitch evenly spacing the threads.  It was very tricky to map out my crammed and dented sections to follow the existing warp pattern but well worth it as otherwise I believe the pattern and the structure would have been competing for attention.

BFD28B48-69D3-4920-94D5-BE8B2F31A906

lesliemartens2
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3
    • Totals: 4
    • Weaving weeble

Donna,  I just love your colours and the look of the fabric!

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  lesliemartens2. Reason: it wasn’t attached to the pic I was commenting on

Maureen Janda
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 66
    • Totals: 82
    • Weaving wonder

I’m finally getting to this episode after finishing a baby blanket and coordinating pillow cover, and a couple of batches of towels.  I have some Webs Valley Yarns 40/2 linen in my stash that I’m planning to use, but I’m wondering how different it is from Jane‘s linen. This is very wiry feeling,  but maybe Jane’s is, too. I know I’ve heard that people sometimes weave linen wet. Has anyone used this brand?

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 381
    • Totals: 392
    • Weaving wonder

So beautiful Jae!

Jae
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 12
    • Totals: 12
    • Weaving wonder

It took me a while, but my cramming and denting scarves are finally off the loom!  I did one in all linen (Powder Blue, Indigo, and Denim) and one with 30/2 silk (Denim, Salt Spring Sky) for the weft.  I really enjoyed this warp!!

IMG_1380

IMG_1381

Sasha Adams
    Participant
    • Replies: 8
    • Totals: 8
    • Weaving wizard

I took this workshop from Jane a few years ago and when I saw the ‘denting’ and ‘cramming and denting’ samples I thought, huh, I don’t think we did those! But I got out my notebook from the class and there they were. But what I really want to say is making your own warp is such a mind blower, and so necessary. I just finished tying on a c/d warp in 2/16 cotton and made plenty of mistakes. There are several ‘orphan’ threads hanging off the back of my David, but NOW I get it. However, I’m just glad that my first c/d warp was cotton and not linen…Thank you Jane!!! This Guild is a true learning experience and I’m so thankful and grateful to you for sharing. 💞

Donna
    Participant
    • Replies: 5
    • Totals: 5
    • Weaving wizard

Hey there, not sure if you are asking me, but yes, mohair for the warp and weft in the dented sections.  Not really crammed either just a yarn that was about twice epi as the mohair.

Janet
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 7
    • Totals: 11
    • Weaving wonder

Gorgeous! Did you use the mohair for warp too?

Janet
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 7
    • Totals: 11
    • Weaving wonder

So, the upshot is this is going absolutely fine.  I’m using my Schacht Standard loom and the weaving is a dream.  337C946E-460D-4B80-98F1-3AF0752E4521  I warped in my “comfort zone” as Tom Knisely says -front to back.  I kept tension on while warping and it went very smoothly. 1 thread broke (I’d say that’s not unusual for such fine thread) – but, all in all, is working great. The weft is 30/2 silk – I’ll try linen on the 2nd piece just for kicks. Best selvedges I’ve ever had!  Oh – also an end feed shuttle.

Donna
    Participant
    • Weaving wizard

You all are so inspirational for me.  Decided to take the plunge a little mohair and some cramming and denting.  20190407_184342

Donna
    Participant
    • Weaving wizard

You all are so inspirational for me.  Decided to take the plunge a little mohair and some cramming and denting.  20190407_184342

Annette Beasley
    Participant
    • Replies: 17
    • Totals: 17
    • Weaving wonder

Thank you, Jacqueline!

Jacqueline
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 51
    • Totals: 54
    • Weaving wonder

Beautiful soft colours Annette. Just lovely.

Annette Beasley
    Participant
    • Replies: 17
    • Totals: 17
    • Weaving wonder

My crammed and dented scarf…40/2 linen warp, 30/2 silk weft.  Idea provoking technique for sure.

FE5DAB49-68B7-4328-91B2-640C8C4CB679

taty.lauwers
    Participant
    • Replies: 15
    • Totals: 15
    • Weaving wonder

Love all projects, too. Very inspiring. Here is my go at the cram/dent in 4 gradating colors

Details for potential other French readers are on my post: Ajourer et densifier, projet 97 – coton

It is washed and pressed/ironed, fringes are not ready yet. warp and weft on 16/2 alias 2/16 cotton. 300 ends in a 4d/cm (10d/inch) reed, 50epi in crammed chain areas (as much as I can in crammed weft areas i. e. 20-22 ppi), 13 epi in open areas (8 or 12 ppi in weft)

I did not follow any specific grid. Did it free style.

How come I cannot get to very very tight in weft, as I see it in other projects? I tried even kind of throwing the reed… I use a Louet Jane.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  taty.lauwers.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  taty.lauwers.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.