Season 2: Episode 7 – All About Stripes – Stripe Sample

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 2 – Colour & Design Season 2: Episode 7 – All About Stripes – Stripe Sample

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Sandra
      Keymaster

Stripe explosions!  Let’s see where we can take the simple stripe and with it create marvellous graphics in our cloth.  This is the thread to discuss stripes, ask questions about stripes and show off your stripe samples!  Have fun!!!

Maureen Janda
        Participant

I just watched Stripes at the Table, and it’s wonderful. I’ve been looking forward to this sample since Jane showed the scarf way back at the beginning of the year, I think it was. I did get some bamboo in my last order, Blue Mist, Cloud, and Sugar Plum, thinking I’d try to do a blue based scarf, but I don’t know if those would work on this warp. The Cloud would probably be too pale, but maybe the Blue Mist and Sugar Plum would work? I shouldn’t just copy, probably, but I may have to order the Aruba and Indigo that Jane used. Was one cone of each enough, or would I need two Aruba?

Back to Stripes at the Loom.

Ginette
            Keymaster

Hi Maureen,

you should have plenty with one cone of each.  Oh liking your thinking with the Blue Mist & Sugar Plum.  You could try a few inches of both and see how you like it.  I think on this sample, many colours would great with it.

Pat Longworth
            Participant

Two silly questions:

1.  What is the red thread in this sample?  I saw the same thing in the Asymmetry in black and the color gamp in white.  I know it is a stopping point, but how did she do it…..by hand?  It looks different than plain weave shots.

2.  I purchased some of your silk.  Can I just wind that onto a cone or a ball or do I need to treat silk differently.  I thought I had seen that you have to do something different with it, but it might have been another yarn.

Loving this guild.  I have learned so much, even though I am somewhat behind!  Jane is very clear in her teaching and instruction and Ginette and Sandra are always on the ball to answer questions.  THANK YOU!

Ginette
                Keymaster

Hi Pat,

Are you talking about the ones at the beginning of the samples?  It’s just 2/8 cotton, 2 picks of it to make the hem.  It’s the same hemming technique that she uses all the time.   For the silk, you are right you’ve seen it somewhere!  It’s in episode 3.2 season 1 I believe, have to double check with the Index.  But what Jane winds all her silks on are these handy dandy spools https://janestaffordtextiles.com/product/leclerc-styrene-spools/

Aww thanks for the compliments 🙂

mgwerner212
                Participant

wow… another awesome episode… I can feel some weaving coming on!

bobbietweddle
                  Participant

Zfb7I1MiQiix%4asv9u%RA

Placemats in 5/2 cotton.  So much fun to weave!

mbartlo
                    Participant

This is another new color scheme for me and I was surprised by all the subtle variety.  341F0B2A-44C2-4A55-B956-4700A7AB6E31It inspired me to try a garment fabric of silk/linen for a garment. 6545108C-BB0F-438B-B51D-1E0717171E62Painted yarns, color change in the boucle and an assortment of colors six threads in all. But it worked out ok.7F09C2D3-6C92-425F-B1F3-53E8ABC20249

Jane
                      Keymaster

Wonderful stripes kids, way to go 🙂

Liberty
                        Participant

Dang it I messed up and reversed the 2 green colors in my warp. I’m not sure how I feel about it but I think I will have to just use it the way it is and call it an experiment!  Oh well that’s all I can think of to do. Any ideas?  My warp is ready but not on my loom yet, any ideas welcome.

bobbietweddle
                            Participant

Hi Liberty,

If you warp your loom from front to back, you can  fix the order of the colors.  It will be a little more challenging to wind on the back beam and keep all of the threads straight, but it is possible.

Bobbie

judy
                            Participant

20180803_170348

Here are my results from episode 5.  Sorry about the blur and inaccurate colours in the photo, but I wanted to share anyway.  The 6 folded pieces are napkins all woven in variations of greens, yellows, raspberry and periwinkle. The top sample is done mainly with greys. The weaving was fun as in all lessons and I enjoyed the challenge of working with colours that aren’t my favourites.   Thank you Jane!

twill1234
                              Participant

I warped Stripes with 4threads in my hand on each side of the middle pattern.  In threading the heddles do I pick the threads as they come or is there a sequence I should follow?

Sandra
                                Keymaster

Take a look at Season 1: Episode 2.4 – Dressing Your Loom Back to Front – Threading the Heddles – she demonstrates threading using a colour and weave threading that is wound with multiple threads in the warp.  You’ll find it at the 14:45 mark in the video.  Have fun!

Sue Barker
                                  Participant

I’m weaving the scarf from Episode 7, using bambu weft at 18 ppi and am wondering how one should wet-finish it? Would washing in the machine damage the bambu? Or a hot soapy soak to get the cotton to shrink and settle?  Hard press like tencel?

Thanks in advance!    😉

–sue b

Ellen Black
                                    Participant

Wonderful everyone!

Carrie
                                      Participant

C46ABD75-E518-4444-82CF-0D7107F76A6ACC2B750C-0DE4-4C98-8E42-1730F02660EE88E143B3-4315-4ED0-8EBD-2686BEA92448

50C38AD4-65DA-430D-8F04-BA5EFF65AF66

Finally finished this warp.  I have 7 napkins and a beautiful Bambu scarf.  I added a couple of these little bathroom shelves to my craft room to hang and stack my items.  I am looking forward to filling them up!

Ginette
                                          Keymaster

Carrie, they are wonderful!  Your stripe scarf is gorgeous!  Love your shelving, what a great idea to display your woven pieces.  I’ve been stacking mine in bins but should really pull them out.  Your plaid scarf, what did you use as the weft?  I’ve beautiful

Carrie
                                          Participant

Thanks Ginette.  I used the 20/2 Bombay Silk for the plaid scarf and the Bambu for the yellow scarf.

Pamela Mickelwait
                                              Participant

image Mrs Chippy enjoying “All About Stripes” he can be such a nuisance but I love him

sofsthun
                                              Participant

D0A248D5-93BC-4438-ACF8-7B19E1BCB827

Ed Chapman
                                                Participant

Wow!

Ginette
                                                  Keymaster

So beautiful, you really took Stripes to another level!

Betty.allen
                                                    Participant

I love your colors.  Beautiful towels.

Sue Barker
                                                      Participant

So pretty! I love all the colors.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.