Season 2, Episode 2 – More on Division of Space & the Asymmetry Sample

Jane Stafford Textiles Forums Weaving Discussion Season 2, Episode 2 – More on Division of Space & the Asymmetry Sample

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 236 total)
  • Author
    Syl
    Participant

Jacqueline, on March 10th you posted a pic of 2 shawls you did in Merino weft and Tencel warp (i assume).

What SETT did you use?

I want to do a shawl : Tencel warp and  JaggerSpun Zephir wool weft

First I sampled at 12 EPI – the result was suited for a pillow. Weft faced and very stiff. It surprised me because i had used 12 EPI cotton and wool when i was doing the Episode 2 and it worked beautifully. So clearly Tencel 2/8 is very different from cotton 2/8
      Then I sampled at 16 EPI plain weave – it’s OK but a bit too much weft faced for my taste. Fairly soft and drapey after washing. Still not ideal.
      I could do a third sample at 18 EPI but i thought i’d asked you first and save the Zephir for the shawl – the tube goes down quickly!

Thank you

Syl

carol1855wlr
      Participant

IMG_0181

This was my first double width project.  See the white strips down what was the fold in my cloth?  HELP!  What did I do wrong?  I want to avoid this in the future.  It really didn’t seem like I had excessive draw in on that side.  I used a 4 shaft table loom and 8/2 cotton.  In person it appears to be warp threads are very close together not weft.  Also it’s more apparent in the 18 epi sample, the 16 epi less so.

carol1855wlr
        Participant

I really didn’t experience any problems with the tension, I was surprised as I thought I might.  I will not forget that step in the future though.  I also learned more about my weaving software and how to do double with cloth so I might be able to do the next lesson as double width and not resort to the rigid heddle.  Think I’ll give it a try anyway.  While I faced many obstacles with my first lesson, I learned so much!  A Big Thanks to Jane and the whole gang!

MaryAnn Kull
          Participant

I love the colors you chose.  You’ve inspired me. Thanks.

Ginette
            Keymaster

They look great Carol, the colours are sure making them so different!  How did it work out at the back of the loom with the lashing?  We’re you able to lash it when you reached it?

carol1855wlr
              Participant

I finished my Asymmetry samples.  I learned so much thru this exercise.  I really made a dog’s breakfast when entering the draft into my weaving software; I was attempting double width cloth for the first time and got so caught up in making it work and keeping in mind Fibonacci I completely lost sight of the parameters of the draft.  Oh well, I did do double width even though I ended up with dish cloths rather than dish towels.  the top row have been washed and hemmed, the bottom row is straight off the loom and zig zag along hem edges.IMG_0176

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by carol1855wlr.
                Ellen Black
                Participant

Your colors are so happy!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Ellen Black. Reason: Typo
                  Ellen Black
                  Participant

They look wonderful!!!

rita.msmiller
                    Participant

I thank the person who told me to double the red threads of 8/2 while using the Boucle in the weft with the other colors… it worked and something new was learned on how to mix threads.  All of these weave sessions are amazing. Fuzzy photo, and the EPI were changed in these tea towels from 18 epi to 12 epi. enjoyed it all.
                      IMG_7932.

Penny
                      Participant

Thank you. I’ve had a look at the blog and it was very helpful. For now I’m going to persevere and just weave as near to square as I can. Then I’ll sley again using cams instead of inches!

kathleen ready
                        Participant

Tools Day: Reeds

This is a good blog to to follow. I personally follow around 15 weaving blogs, to see what trends are around the world. A wealth of information out there. Before you re sley, try a sample with 2/16 cotton, the cloth will be finer but the warp stripes will be more prominent.

Penny
                          Participant

<span style=”-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);”>Using my Ashford table loom to try the asymmetry sample. I thought I had the sett at 18epi using a 12 dpi Reed, but when I checked, the sett is nearer 20epi. I checked the reed and discovered that it’s a metric one and has 5dpcm. Try as I might I can’t get the ppi anywhere near 20 ppi, it’s more like 16 although my negative spaces do look squarish! I’m not sure whether to continue as I am for the first sample and just weave the sections as near to square as I can, or cut it off and sley it again. I wondered whether there was a reed conversion guide anywhere which converts inches to metric as my brain is beginning to Swim!</span>

ACF0605D-F97D-4457-AC23-B5D4F949A27A

carol1855wlr
                            Participant

I’ve got my first project all on the loom and the first one woven.  It’s been a real comedy of errors, first I’m trying to learn WeaveIt Pro and with my narrow loom I was attempting a double weave cloth.  Well I made big mistakes in entering the project information and what I hoped would been dish towel sized samples have turned into dish cloth size projects.  My fault, all my fault, LOL.  You would have thought I would have double checked the math, or maybe used some basic common sense, but no.  Well this size will make great samples on which to try everything I want to try design and color wise.  I’ll also have plenty of room to open up the settt without too much effort (she say’s optimistically).  Anyway having fun!  Pictures to follow when I have several finished.

carol1855wlr
                              Participant

Ginette, Thank You! That sounds like a great idea and I’ll give it a try.

Ginette
                                Keymaster

Hi Carol, I’ve forgotten to lash a few times…When I neared the end of the warp and was able to get in there, I lashed it to prevent the rod from bending and continued on weaving.

Ginette

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 236 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.