Season 2, Episode 2 – More on Division of Space & the Asymmetry Sample

Jane Stafford Textiles Forums Weaving Discussion Season 2, Episode 2 – More on Division of Space & the Asymmetry Sample

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 236 total)
  • Author
    Jean
    Participant

Thank you, Jacqueline!

Sandra
      Keymaster

Please post photos of your towels and throw, Betty!  If you look at the grey bar above where you type in your post, you’ll see a little photo on the right.

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 6.38.52 PM

Use that to insert your photo.  I just did a screen shot and dragged and dropped the “photo” into this message.

Betty.allen
        Participant

I’m so excited about finally learning what creates a balanced weave and what doesn’t. I’ve been so perplexed not knowing what yarns work with other yarns in warp  and weft.  I recently wove a scarf that would almost stand alone😳.  I obviously knew it was wrong but didn’t really know what I should have done different. I’m a beginner and have been trying to figure it out on my own.  So, I’m pretty excited about the sampling and Jane’s online weaving.   I tried things today to learn why things happen in weaving.  I spent a lot of time on things  that didn’t really work out as I had hoped but it was time well spent because now I understand why.  I have however, replaced the red stripe with another color.  I cut off my 4 towels I wove earlier in the week and changed reed from a 12 dent to a 10 dent.  Now I have about 4 yards of warp left to play and experiment.  I’m going to weave a throw using a cotton boucle.  And hopefully a baby blanket to end the warp.  I’m so grateful for this learning experience.  Thank you Jane and staff.

PS. If I can figure out how to send photos I’ll share my towels and throw.

Jacqueline
          Participant

The wool worked perfectly! Just beautiful Jean.

Deborah Cannatella
            Participant

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Deborah Cannatella.
              • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Sandra.
              Deborah Cannatella
              Participant

So immediately after weaving for a few inches I noticed that I had too many warp threads in a dent over on the right (white).  I’m using a 12 dent reed and threaded it 1-2-1-2… obviously I did 2-2-2 in that location.  Also, I only had cottolin in the light grey and dark grey, and I believe it is a 22/2 that I grabbed… but I went with it, because I wanted to use up some stash.  I did a strong beat on the fabric… only getting about 6 picks of cotton in, 7 for the cottolin in order to get shares.  But this was a great project for me, a novice weaver, and I love the design.  I will probably be trying this in other colors in the future.

IMG_0383

IMG_0389

Jean
                Participant

No, the wool was after I wove a bunch of towels with 8/2 cotton and then I changed out the red stripe for a turquoise one and re-sleyed to 12epi per Jane’s guidance.  My warp was 400 threads, so it was 22.2″ in the reed at 18epi and then 33.3″ at 12epi.

Betty.allen
                  Participant

Hi Jean,

Did you leave the sett at 18epi when you used the wool for the weft?

Kathy
                    Participant

Beautiful results, lovely drape. It would be great as a poncho!

Jean
                      Participant

It’s a wool I’ve had in my stash for about 15 years.  It’s a worsted spun, so it fulled nicely and I’d say it’s about a sport weight in size.

Annette Beasley
                        Participant

Jean, love your poncho, thanks for posting it, swapping the red for blue had been on my mind..now I know it works..and I love the wool with cotton idea!

05hickory
                          Participant

I was curious as to what kind, weight of wool you used?

Jean
                            Participant

Thanks everyone!  Pretty sure I’m going to make it a poncho.  It’s so light and airy.

Ginette
                              Keymaster

Beautiful throw Jean!  Lots of drape 🙂

Betty.allen
                                Participant

Jean I love your throw.  Beautiful.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 236 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.