Season 2, Episode 2 – More on Division of Space & the Asymmetry Sample

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Season 2, Episode 2 – More on Division of Space & the Asymmetry Sample

This topic contains 231 replies, has 74 voices, and was last updated by  Sandra 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 232 total)
  • Author

Jean
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 30
    • Totals: 32
    • Weaving wonder

Melissa, It was me that mentioned the Fire TV – so much better, right?

It looks like your wave is starting to straighten out.  I think you just needed a little more of a header before you started to weave the sample.  That or your tension wasn’t even across the warp after tying on.  Your last few rows of squares look perfect to me.  You’ll get a feel for how hard/soft (I hate to use the word hard cause it isn’t in plain weave at 18epi) and just start doing it naturally.  You’re doing great!  Hang in there!

Jean
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Thanks, Annette.  It’s really turquoise and works perfectly with the grey.   So would blue.

Jean
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

It’s old from my stash, but I’d say fingering to sport weight… I told someone else I’d do a wpi and I forgot.  I’ll do it today.

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 438
    • Totals: 465
    • Weaving wonder

Melissa – it looks like you started weaving your sample as soon as you tied it on the cloth beam.  If you look at the way Jane does it, you’ll see that she will weave a bit to establish a straight fell line and once established, she moves on to the cloth she wants to weave.  It looks like you were having tension problems and by the time you got to grey, everything was falling into place!  Also, don’t forget to give yourself a large arc of weft, as you are laying it in.

Melissa
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 7
    • Totals: 8
    • Weaving wizard

I’m really struggling with making a square -I just want it to be a different number of weft threads! Also have some wavy thing going on so I’m working on my technique to see if that fixes it.  I just watched the final piece of the last episode (Thank You to the person who mentioned you can watch them using Amazon firetv!) where Jane was fixing her issues-so helpful to see that!

413BA369-B85C-4EAF-AB5E-F2596A4F22A4

Kathy
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 32
    • Weaving wonder

Kathleen your samples look great! I love how you’re using colors from your stash!

Jean
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Thanks Sandra.  The wool has a bit of tooth to it, but I don’t mind it.  Reminds me it’s wool. lol.  I think I will do this again one day with Zephyr.

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 390
    • Totals: 402
    • Weaving wonder

Love you colours!

Gabriele
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 22
    • Totals: 25
    • Weaving wonder

All your samples look so great, I have one project to finish ….and then ……(-:

Jean
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Love it!  I know… the counting is like a dance.  lol

kathleen ready
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 44
    • Totals: 45
    • Weaving wonder

4 grey and 4 yellow and apricot1,2,3 boink with black

Used some coloured cones from my previous project, and made the warp a bit wider. I caught myself saying 1,2,3 boink. I liked contrast of the black boink line in the second sample towel.

Jean
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Thank you, Jacqueline!

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 438
    • Totals: 465
    • Weaving wonder

Please post photos of your towels and throw, Betty!  If you look at the grey bar above where you type in your post, you’ll see a little photo on the right.

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 6.38.52 PM

Use that to insert your photo.  I just did a screen shot and dragged and dropped the “photo” into this message.

Betty.allen
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 46
    • Totals: 50
    • Weaving wonder

I’m so excited about finally learning what creates a balanced weave and what doesn’t. I’ve been so perplexed not knowing what yarns work with other yarns in warp  and weft.  I recently wove a scarf that would almost stand alone😳.  I obviously knew it was wrong but didn’t really know what I should have done different. I’m a beginner and have been trying to figure it out on my own.  So, I’m pretty excited about the sampling and Jane’s online weaving.   I tried things today to learn why things happen in weaving.  I spent a lot of time on things  that didn’t really work out as I had hoped but it was time well spent because now I understand why.  I have however, replaced the red stripe with another color.  I cut off my 4 towels I wove earlier in the week and changed reed from a 12 dent to a 10 dent.  Now I have about 4 yards of warp left to play and experiment.  I’m going to weave a throw using a cotton boucle.  And hopefully a baby blanket to end the warp.  I’m so grateful for this learning experience.  Thank you Jane and staff.

PS. If I can figure out how to send photos I’ll share my towels and throw.

Jacqueline
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 53
    • Totals: 56
    • Weaving wonder

The wool worked perfectly! Just beautiful Jean.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.