Season 2, Episode 2 – More on Division of Space & the Asymmetry Sample

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Season 2, Episode 2 – More on Division of Space & the Asymmetry Sample

This topic contains 225 replies, has 71 voices, and was last updated by  Cindy Solomon 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 226 total)
  • Author

Jean
    Participant

Thanks Sandra.  The wool has a bit of tooth to it, but I don’t mind it.  Reminds me it’s wool. lol.  I think I will do this again one day with Zephyr.

Ginette
    Keymaster

Love you colours!

Gabriele
    Participant

All your samples look so great, I have one project to finish ….and then ……(-:

Jean
    Participant

Love it!  I know… the counting is like a dance.  lol

kathleen ready
    Participant

4 grey and 4 yellow and apricot1,2,3 boink with black

Used some coloured cones from my previous project, and made the warp a bit wider. I caught myself saying 1,2,3 boink. I liked contrast of the black boink line in the second sample towel.

Jean
    Participant

Thank you, Jacqueline!

Sandra
    Keymaster

Please post photos of your towels and throw, Betty!  If you look at the grey bar above where you type in your post, you’ll see a little photo on the right.

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 6.38.52 PM

Use that to insert your photo.  I just did a screen shot and dragged and dropped the “photo” into this message.

Betty.allen
    Participant

I’m so excited about finally learning what creates a balanced weave and what doesn’t. I’ve been so perplexed not knowing what yarns work with other yarns in warp  and weft.  I recently wove a scarf that would almost stand alone😳.  I obviously knew it was wrong but didn’t really know what I should have done different. I’m a beginner and have been trying to figure it out on my own.  So, I’m pretty excited about the sampling and Jane’s online weaving.   I tried things today to learn why things happen in weaving.  I spent a lot of time on things  that didn’t really work out as I had hoped but it was time well spent because now I understand why.  I have however, replaced the red stripe with another color.  I cut off my 4 towels I wove earlier in the week and changed reed from a 12 dent to a 10 dent.  Now I have about 4 yards of warp left to play and experiment.  I’m going to weave a throw using a cotton boucle.  And hopefully a baby blanket to end the warp.  I’m so grateful for this learning experience.  Thank you Jane and staff.

PS. If I can figure out how to send photos I’ll share my towels and throw.

Jacqueline
    Participant

The wool worked perfectly! Just beautiful Jean.

Deborah Cannatella
    Participant

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  Deborah Cannatella.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Sandra.

Deborah Cannatella
    Participant

So immediately after weaving for a few inches I noticed that I had too many warp threads in a dent over on the right (white).  I’m using a 12 dent reed and threaded it 1-2-1-2… obviously I did 2-2-2 in that location.  Also, I only had cottolin in the light grey and dark grey, and I believe it is a 22/2 that I grabbed… but I went with it, because I wanted to use up some stash.  I did a strong beat on the fabric… only getting about 6 picks of cotton in, 7 for the cottolin in order to get shares.  But this was a great project for me, a novice weaver, and I love the design.  I will probably be trying this in other colors in the future.

IMG_0383

IMG_0389

Jean
    Participant

No, the wool was after I wove a bunch of towels with 8/2 cotton and then I changed out the red stripe for a turquoise one and re-sleyed to 12epi per Jane’s guidance.  My warp was 400 threads, so it was 22.2″ in the reed at 18epi and then 33.3″ at 12epi.

Betty.allen
    Participant

Hi Jean,

Did you leave the sett at 18epi when you used the wool for the weft?

Kathy
    Participant

Beautiful results, lovely drape. It would be great as a poncho!

Jean
    Participant

It’s a wool I’ve had in my stash for about 15 years.  It’s a worsted spun, so it fulled nicely and I’d say it’s about a sport weight in size.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 226 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.