Season 2, Episode 2 – More on Division of Space & the Asymmetry Sample

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Season 2, Episode 2 – More on Division of Space & the Asymmetry Sample

This topic contains 215 replies, has 70 voices, and was last updated by  Beth Napper 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 216 total)
  • Author

Deborah Cannatella
    Participant

So immediately after weaving for a few inches I noticed that I had too many warp threads in a dent over on the right (white).  I’m using a 12 dent reed and threaded it 1-2-1-2… obviously I did 2-2-2 in that location.  Also, I only had cottolin in the light grey and dark grey, and I believe it is a 22/2 that I grabbed… but I went with it, because I wanted to use up some stash.  I did a strong beat on the fabric… only getting about 6 picks of cotton in, 7 for the cottolin in order to get shares.  But this was a great project for me, a novice weaver, and I love the design.  I will probably be trying this in other colors in the future.

IMG_0383

IMG_0389

Jean
    Participant

No, the wool was after I wove a bunch of towels with 8/2 cotton and then I changed out the red stripe for a turquoise one and re-sleyed to 12epi per Jane’s guidance.  My warp was 400 threads, so it was 22.2″ in the reed at 18epi and then 33.3″ at 12epi.

Betty.allen
    Participant

Hi Jean,

Did you leave the sett at 18epi when you used the wool for the weft?

Kathy
    Participant

Beautiful results, lovely drape. It would be great as a poncho!

Jean
    Participant

It’s a wool I’ve had in my stash for about 15 years.  It’s a worsted spun, so it fulled nicely and I’d say it’s about a sport weight in size.

Annette Beasley
    Participant

Jean, love your poncho, thanks for posting it, swapping the red for blue had been on my mind..now I know it works..and I love the wool with cotton idea!

05hickory
    Participant

I was curious as to what kind, weight of wool you used?

Jean
    Participant

Thanks everyone!  Pretty sure I’m going to make it a poncho.  It’s so light and airy.

Ginette
    Keymaster

Beautiful throw Jean!  Lots of drape 🙂

Betty.allen
    Participant

Jean I love your throw.  Beautiful.

Sandra
    Keymaster

What a wonderful result from “playing”,  Jean.   It looks beautiful and cozy!  Thanks for sharing.

Jean
    Participant

I’m SO EXCITED!!!  The wool worked BEAUTIFULLY with the cotton warp!  I now have a small throw.  I just wet finished it on delicate in the washer and then put it in the dryer for about ten minutes (checked it every few) and it’s beautiful.  I tried to take the best pics so you could see the drape on this thing.  I’m seriously considering turning it into a poncho.  I love, love, love it!!!  The mixture of cotton and wool will make it perfect for here in Central Texas.  Thank you, Jane, for opening up this new concept to me.  And, for the record, I’m sold on the 18epi for 8/2 cotton now!

Screenshot 2018-02-14 17.46.23

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi Jean,

it looks great!  Love your blue zinger!  As for making the picture smaller, you’ll have to try and play with your camera settings or your software.  I kind of like the close up shot 😉

Jean
    Participant

Re-sleyed yesterday afternoon.  After a comedy of errors, I finally got to start weaving.  I was going to use a blue rayon boucle, but I wasn’t diggin’ it, so I changed to some charcoal grey wool from my stash.  I can’t wait to see what this fabric does when I get it off the loom and wash it!  (Is there a way to make the pictures not so huge?)

27867892_10156898376228840_462618667526477564_n

Jean
    Participant

It is fun, right?  Like we have permission to just play.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 216 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.