Season 2, Episode 2 – More on Division of Space & the Asymmetry Sample

Jane Stafford Textiles Forums Weaving Discussion Season 2, Episode 2 – More on Division of Space & the Asymmetry Sample

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 236 total)
  • Author
    Anita
    Participant

I had the original asymetry sample from the workshop so I decided to AsymetrystripesAsymetrySuiteWarpendbagslightly change the colours in the stripes and widen the warp by adding on to each side of the stripe sequence.  I wove four towels then cut off the warp, resleyed at 16 epi, removed some warp threads and wove two hand towels.   With the end of the warp, woven with one pick boucle and one pick 8/2 I sewed a small project bag.

Sandra
      Keymaster

Love your happy colours, Gabriele!

Gabriele
        Participant

My weekend adventure

I used yarn from my stash  white, blues and green, tried a 10 meter long warp and asked my dishwashing husband, how wide he would like his new towels, so that I used 14 as my incremental multiplyer ((-: The first three are finished. Cause I only have a 10 and 8 dent reed I used the 8 dent reed to get the “18 ” In the white  thread area you can see my sleying pattern …2223.3222… and also a sleying mistake down  in the right corner… another nice patern (-:

28424220_1858027137603785_7977314402899993529_o

Jane
          Keymaster

I’m so proud of all of you…….yes, yes, yes…So happy to see you playing.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxo Jane

Ginette
            Keymaster

Looking great Sandra!  I like the orange, it really changes it up and how you used the red with the boucle, they look so soft.

Sandra
              Keymaster

This is me so far …..  I loved the “permission” I gave myself (thanks to Jane) to just play at the loom.  For the third sample – I changed out the red stripe for orange organic cotton and used some 20/2 silk as the weft, just because I wanted to see what it felt like.

_MG_4340-2

I’m not as happy with the samples at 12 epi.  This is showing me – again – why it’s so important to sample.  I have a large cone of well aged boucle which is very soft and packs right in at 12 epi.  My most recent stash of boucle is the red, orange and grey that you can see in the two samples.  I’m debating increasing my sett to 14 to see if they will live more happily together or just try another sample using the newer boucle to see if it will be happier without it’s “old” neighbour.  I also changed the orange back to the red stripe that was waiting on the back of the loom between the orange and the red samples.  I’m glad I put on a long warp!

_MG_4342

kathleen ready
                Participant

Thanks, your towels look great too! How can we go wrong with Jane guiding us along.

I have my little Lucy that comes down to me in my basement and stares at me when she wants a walk. That is my interruption.

Betty.allen
                  Participant

Wow!  Beautiful towels..

Ellen Black
                    Participant

Those look great!

Ginette
                      Keymaster

Just gorgeous Kathleen!  Love what you’ve done with them 🙂

kathleen ready
                        Participant

34D7DA91-AE5E-4F86-B45F-D70E76016ABBI’m staying with asymmetry for alittle longer, just put another warp on with apricot and pink, no red stripe in warp. Using 15 epi and boucle and bamboo. 9 shots gave me my square and one towel is all 9 shots of colour and changes.

kathleen ready
                          Participant

34D7DA91-AE5E-4F86-B45F-D70E76016ABBI’m staying with asymmetry for alittle longer, just put another warp on with apricot and pink, no red stripe in warp. Using 15 epi and boucle and bamboo. 9 shots gave me my square and one towel is all 9 shots of colour and changes.

Deborah Cannatella
                            Participant

I had enough warp for two, plus a little more, where I played with a few yarns.  I did an 18 sett then re-sleyed the reed for a 15 sett. I found that, although it was square under tension, it wasn’t quite as square off loom (of course). I took measurements before and after washing and drying. The first one I did was 18 sett and wound up 14 1/2″ wide (along the weft) and 14″ along the warp.  After wash/dry it was 13 1/2″ width x 12 1/2″.  The second one I wove was 15 sett and off loom it was 17″ wide along the weft and 16 1/2″ along the warp.  After wash/dry it was 16 1/4″ width x 14 1/2.  Next time I will know to take into account the tension of the warp and that it will shrink a little more along the warp than it did along the weft.  I really enjoyed this project!

JST Asymmetry Sample IMG_0443

Jean
                              Participant

For those that asked about the size wool I used after resleying to 12 epi… it’s 13wpi, so a fingering weight.  It is an old weaving wool with oils in it, so washed, it’s probably 14 epi.  It’s a wool with “tooth” to it, so like Harrisville or Shetland…. I apologize for the slow answer… been taking care of a flu ridden hubby and then I was down for the count yesterday with a stomach ache….

Ginette
                                Keymaster

Beautiful samples Jacqueline!  That yellow boucle sure changed the whole look, I like it 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 236 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.