Season 2, Episode 2 – More on Division of Space & the Asymmetry Sample

Jane Stafford Textiles Forums Weaving Discussion Season 2, Episode 2 – More on Division of Space & the Asymmetry Sample

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 236 total)
  • Author
    Sandra
    Keymaster

So glad you found Jane, Allyson!  I know from experience how hard it is to teach yourself to weave – you need to, at least, have someone you can watch do the many steps required to get a successful warp on your loom.  I “taught” myself to weave in the ’90s using a book and I was blown away by Jane, and her very special skill in teaching when I finally met her.  Keep us all posted as you move through the lessons – you have a lot of fun and interesting challenges ahead of you.  By the way, how did you find Jane and her Online Guild?  I’m just curious 😉

Allyson Marbut
      Participant

OK … so I quit weaving for the past 2 years because finding lesson support and time to go to lessons kept me from growing and developing confidence in weaving.  I had taught myself how to weave on the rigid heddle and after a year progressed to purchasing a beautiful David from a nice lady in Tallahassee who needed to sell her loom.  Spent a week at John C Campbell Folk School in NC on a colored warp weaving course (if you have not been there, you must go and spend some time in the mountains and with great folks!) and then came back home and tried a few things on the loom but found them cumbersome without some guidance.   Had no idea Jane has started this guild!  I have watched the lessons over and over again and they have helped me push myself to get back on the loom.  Now, that said … this first sample has a couple of issues with the warp threads doubled up and the earlier towels on the loom had some skipped threads.  As I kept watching Jane in her technique I made an effort to develop good muscle memory and practices and saw myself improving as I went along.  So time, patience and practice will help me grow in my skills at the loom. It is such a peaceful and Zen thing to do and so much fun to see the color combinations and structures she has shared.  Anyway, though these are not perfect I am so happy to be back on the loom!  As an educator myself, I can say, Jane, you are a  most gifted teacher!Sample 1 Towels

Ginette
        Keymaster

They look great Ginny! Yes it’s nice to have a favourite draft and use it over and over 🙂

Ginny
          Participant

1B863949-B90C-4E8A-9739-6EFD877508E1Before completing this exercise, I always wove symmetrically and I agonized over the perfect math to accomplish my pattern. I love the fact that I have the math already done for all these samples so I can replicate these patterns without spending so much time calculating it all. As Jane would say, I plan to use “Same Same” to maximize my time.
            Lesson learned- I waited too long to change the zinger in the warp. I thought I would change the zinger and EPI on the same sample but I had precious little warp left to do both.
            Ginny

Sandra
            Keymaster

Isn’t Plain Weave fun and, just limited by our own imaginations!  I love the scarf you made for your son out of your sample – wonderful use of the warp and pushing its boundaries 🙂

dena.hirchak
              Participant

Just finished washing and hemming my asymmetry sample. This sample was so much fun! Ive been weaving for 30 years but really haven’t done a lot of plain weave because I thought it was boring. Boy was I wrong! I love my towels and after fudging trying to change out my red stripe for blue, I removed that side of the warp, widened my sett to 12 and wove with a 4/10 wool to make a lovely scarf for my son.BDFB4938-6A02-4250-BA67-1BB85E12C0C2D513D7EB-4548-45BE-ACBC-BD103599096E38E093E9-CA05-428C-ABA5-B22D6FECE973

Ginette
                Keymaster

They look lovely Sheryl! Good for you for deciding to just work that warp using what you learned from the episode! So many possibilities 🙂

Cheryl Wilner
                  Participant

Viewing this segment was perfect timing in my weaving journey.  I jumped right in after the warping segment and put a 7 yard 8/2 cotton warp for tea towels.  Of course I made a nice orderly symmetrical pattern…… after the first towel i tried cutting out two heddles to add floating selvedges.  Worked great and I worked my way through 8 of Marguerite Porter Davidson’s Basic Twills from <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>A Handweavers Handbook</span>.   Maybe 3 towels in i watched this episode and was so inspired to try something else.  I play with the little Fibonacci striped sequences – love these!  Then I got brave and cut part of my warp out to add a large red asymmetrical strip.  I struggled with the tension but did turn out two nice towels that I am happy with for my early learning.  I then resleyed the reed from 20 epi to 10 epi.  That seems really gauzy, not sure how it will wash up but I also got good practice with my hemstitching, which I find that I love to do!  I restarted a new sample with Harrisville Shetland in cobalt and natural on the same warp.  Finally able to tie that red warp on the rod part of the way in  – its nice now but it made the first 6 inches crazy.  Oh well – nothing ventured…..  have to decide what to do with the last about 4 feet – may just continue with the Shetland and hope it makes a nice throw.  I would not have put those colored or fibers together but feel so inspired to jut try things watching Jane.  I look forward to the Color & Weave Gamp as my next adventure!  Happy Weaving!Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 1.09.11 PMScreen Shot 2019-09-08 at 1.08.20 PMScreen Shot 2019-09-08 at 1.06.07 PM

Judith
                    Participant

Jacqueline.  I experienced the same thing with lines being apparent when I sleyed 1,1,2.  But once I washed and ironed the piece the lines disappeared.

Judith
                      Participant

CFF73B08-1D46-4A4C-B767-A558C5D2B2F6263668E3-AE88-4D3A-8182-672C63CE0932BBA2B934-2F4F-4D5B-9F77-18F535FC6D6F618C9F08-B40C-4844-8EB2-8C19D55AB0E8I have almost finished the work on Episode 2 sample 1.  I did the first part really focusing on seeing the squares. Then I tried a more rapid color change.  I then replaced the red warp with another charcoal and it worked brilliantly!  But I got tired or PW so redid the tie up for twill and did a towel divided into 3rds.  Next I opened up the sett from 18 EPI/PPI to 12 EPI/ PPI and used an 8/3 and 8/4 cotton for samples.  Finally, I decided I wanted to make a set of napkins and wanted a slightly tighter warp than 12×12.  So I resleyed again to 15/15, stayed with the grey gradients but added a red zinger on the horizontal.

This has been a great learning experience!  I am ready for Sample 2 but I need to consider colors as I am a bit tired of the black and white.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I have posted a few images above.  Not all of them would load but these are some examples.

Cindy Solomon
                        Participant

Ok thanks Sandra, will be more cognizant of the tension going forward🙂

Sandra
                          Keymaster

It could…….especially if the tension is too high.  I probably would move it into the next dent closer to the centre, if it breaks again.  But first, I’d try weaving with a bit less tension.

With a lot of tension, the outer thread might be pulled towards the centre of the warp and rub against the dent, which might cause your selvedge thread to untwist.

Keep me posted!

Cindy Solomon
                            Participant

Yes, Sandra, both edge threads are in their own dents and I suppose the tension is pretty high. Would this cause the thread to untwist?

Sandra
                              Keymaster

Two questions, Cindy…….   1) Is the warp thread that keeps breaking in a dent by itself?   2) Is the tension on your warp quite high?

We’ll figure this out 😉

Cindy Solomon
                                Participant

OK forum folks , I have a question. The right outermost thread on my asymmetry / division of space warp has broken on me twice. It appears to be untwisting as I weave.  The left thread remains intact.

Why would this happen?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 236 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.