Season 2, Episode 2 – More on Division of Space & the Asymmetry Sample

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Season 2, Episode 2 – More on Division of Space & the Asymmetry Sample

This topic contains 225 replies, has 71 voices, and was last updated by  Cindy Solomon 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 226 total)
  • Author

Cindy Solomon
    Participant

Ok thanks Sandra, will be more cognizant of the tension going forward🙂

Sandra
    Keymaster

It could…….especially if the tension is too high.  I probably would move it into the next dent closer to the centre, if it breaks again.  But first, I’d try weaving with a bit less tension.

With a lot of tension, the outer thread might be pulled towards the centre of the warp and rub against the dent, which might cause your selvedge thread to untwist.

Keep me posted!

Cindy Solomon
    Participant

Yes, Sandra, both edge threads are in their own dents and I suppose the tension is pretty high. Would this cause the thread to untwist?

Sandra
    Keymaster

Two questions, Cindy…….   1) Is the warp thread that keeps breaking in a dent by itself?   2) Is the tension on your warp quite high?

We’ll figure this out 😉

Cindy Solomon
    Participant

OK forum folks , I have a question. The right outermost thread on my asymmetry / division of space warp has broken on me twice. It appears to be untwisting as I weave.  The left thread remains intact.

Why would this happen?

Ginette
    Keymaster

Cindy, your towels look lovely! I like your choice of colours with the red zinger 🙂

Cindy Solomon
    Participant

2nd towel in progress

Cindy Solomon
    Participant

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Cindy Solomon. Reason: wrong pic

Sandra
    Keymaster

Well done, Cindy 👏👏  How many towels did you weave?  Did you “play” with your weft on other towels?

Cindy Solomon
    Participant

64E16651-5964-4DAC-897B-22CE31AA4BE4

I have recently joined the guild and love the videos. I modified the asymmetry samples warp to make it wide enough for a towel. This the first and will be part of the towel exchange at the Mid Atlantic Fiber Arts Conference next weekend. I’m having a lot of fun. Happy to be a member of the guild!

Beth Napper
    Participant

Amy, I mix cottolin an 2/8 cotton in the warp and weft all the time and they work well together. No problems shrinkage wise.

Sandra
    Keymaster

I don’t recall personally ever mixing the 2 in a warp Amy, so I can’t give you a definitive answer.  However, this is a sample warp Jane created so that we could practice using different techniques.  Now would be a great time to try it and see what happens.  Weave a sample, measure before and after washing and if the cottolin reacts differently.  If you don’t like it, then this would be the time to swap out the black cottolin and practice changing that stripe into a colour of 8/2 you do have on hand.  Jane shows us how to do that in the Introduction to Sample One at about the 30 minute mark.  Have fun!

amy.sloboda2018
    Participant

I am getting ready to warp this asymmetry sample and have a question about fibers.  My local shop was out of 8/2 black cotton but I do have a cone of black cottolin.  Can I use the cottolin for that one area only? What will happen when it is washed? Do they shrink the same? I didn’t know if the cottolin would need to be evenly dispersed throughout to mix the two.

Ginette
    Keymaster

They are wonderful Ellen! You sure did alot of different samples. It is nice to just put a warp on and play with it!

Ellen Redman
    Participant

This was a really freeing experience.  I put the warp on the loom with no expectations of perfection and allowed myself to try lots of different things.  I learned a lot about design, carrying threads up the selvage, sett, clasped weft, and color.  Here are my finished towels.IMG_0037IMG_0036IMG_0039IMG_0038

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 226 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.