Season 2 Asymmetry Questions

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      rooneymt
      Participant

Good day….This is my first attempt to upload a file. It turned out bigger than I hoped it. Hopefully it will help clarify my question.

For example 1, Jane uses a non-fibonacci number for the amount of threads, which are 10. However repeating them 3 times is a fibonacci number which makes it a set of 1.

My confusion comes with defining what a “set” is. In example 2, I have 4 repeats which is not a fibonacci number. However each group is a fibonacci number of 3, 5, 8 and 13.

So for example 2, would I consider the repeats for each group to be one which is a fibonacci number or is it a group of 4 and not a fibonacci number?

Guess I’m just trying to see if using a group that is a fibonacci number, can I repeat them as many times as I want if they  don’t repeat? Such as randomly inserting groups of fibonacci numbers? And if you use a non-fibonacci group, then the repeats have to be a fibonacci number?

Thanks so much!

Jane_Stafford

Ginette
        Keymaster

Hi Michael, your sample #2 is definitely Fibonacci and you could keep on going with the numbers, I’ve done that or divided each towel using these first numbers. Let’s say I’ll weave the towel 34 ish” long, which is the length I usually like, I’ll weave the colours in inches (1″, 1″, 2″, 3″, 5″, 8″, 13″) gives me 33″. Or I choose a set of the numbers within the sequence for some facecloths or napkins (3″, 5″, 8″).

Fibonacci has so many possibilities when designing. Back to the Asymmetry Sample from the lesson, basically how Jane did it was use the stripping as an incremental unit of 10 threads. 10 is not a Fibonnaci number but it works as the striping, 3 blacks, 1 red, 2 dark greys, 3 light greys and such. So your sample #1, each stripe has 10 threads to represent 1, and having 3 stripes gives you your Fibonacci number.

rooneymt
          Participant

Thank you so much for the info! I thought I was on the right track but then I started micro analyzing everything! :))

I do have one more question with treadling in regards to scalloping the selvedges. I’m doing the asymmetry example of a pattern of 4 light gray and 4 dark gray using a tabby tie up of 1&3 and 2&4. I start my first color on the right lifting shafts 2&4. I go over the outer thread. I go back and forth 4 times. Now my  first shuttle is back on the right side.

Then I go to the other shuttle on the other side. If I keep the treadle sequence going which is back to lifting shafts 2&4, I go under the outer thread. Only way to go over the thread is to duplicate the same treadle which was 1&3. But then I end up with two picks that identical.

My right side scallops are on the outer thread but my left scallops are on the inner thread. I guess does it matter if you’re not going over the outer thread when scalloping? Thanks!

rooneymt
            Participant

I diagramed the weaving. I don’t see Jane do it or at least I don’t think I do. But it appears when I start the second color I have to do one of those bump things?😂 since I do two picks in a row the same direction, the end warp thread will always be up? So I need to move the new color over the old color when I come back with the new color?

Maybe Jane is doing it so fast I don’t notice? Or maybe it doesn’t matter?

Ginette
                Keymaster

Are you doing 2 picks of one colour, then 2 picks of your other colour or are you doing alternating picks of 2 colours.

If it’s 2 picks of one colour, then 2 picks of the other, if you have each shuttle on opposite sides, if you throw one, you’ll need to jump the bump/dive the dip to catch the other on the other side and then do your second pick and your shuttle will end up on the same side it started, then throw the other, catch the thread from the 1st shuttle (jump the bump/dive the dip), and do your second pick. Not sure if I explained this correctly….as I’m doing it in my head while typing 😉

rooneymt
                    Participant

Thank you….I finally got the “dive the dip and jump the bump” down! 😂

But I do have two questions for treddles sequence. First if I’m doing 4 one color then 4 another color, I’m assuming I’m alternating treddles each time. This means if I start the first color going from right to left with shaft 2&4, when I start the second color I’ll be lifting shafts 3&4 and the second color won’t go over the end warp thread. I’m assuming that isn’t a problem since you are scalloping?

Second question is when Jane is switching colors. If she ties up after doing a pick from left to right, lifting shafts 1&3, she switches the tie up for the second color to the opposite side so she doesn’t have a big bump. I’m assuming she isn’t lifting the same shafts 1&3 up again? So if she’s lifting shafts 2&4 she will be throwing the shuttle from left to right and under the end warp thread. I guess this is OK since she tied the thread to the selvedge?

I’m used to always going over the end warp thread. But I guess there are times you need to switch it and go under.

Thanks for all the assistance!

Ginette
                        Keymaster

hmm, just thinking about this. You’ll be changing treadles with every pick one way or the other. It won’t matter which treadle sequence you end up with each time. The jump the bump/dive the dip will take care of your selvedges and the scalloping. The sides may look different but as long as you catch your thread that is waiting for its turn, either over or under, it’ll work. I know what you mean though, sometimes it ends up your diving for a while then it switches to jumping. It all comes down to the direction of your colour with the shuttle and how many picks. If you add a fifth pick then the jump/dive changes. Where’s that ‘thinking face’ emoji I could use right now 🙂

rooneymt
                    Participant

Thank you for your response!

If I’m doing two colors with 4 picks each, you don’t do the “dive the dip jump the bump” do you? Both shuttles are on opposite sides when you change colors so there’s no dip/bump to do? When I’m throwing shuttle from left to right with shafts 2-4 up, I am scalloping up over the other color and the pick starts over the outer selvedge thread. And the other shuttle is on the opposite side so there’s no dip/bump.

And after I do 4 picks with the first color, the same thing happens with the other shuttle. I’m now going to throw right to left. But if I alternate treadles like I need to to, shafts 2-4 are up rather than shafts 1-3. So in this case, I’m scalloping over the first color, and when I do my pick I’m going right to left and “under” the end selvedge thread.

I don’t see a way around this??? When doing even picks and starting the shuttles on opposite side won’t this always happen?

I hope this makes sense!

Ginette
                        Keymaster

You’re right! I was stuck on the dive the dip/jump the bump! Sorry about that!

Viewing 4 reply threads
                    • The forum ‘Season 2 – Colour & Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.