rug draft patterns

Forums Weaving Discussion rug draft patterns

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Martha sexton
      Participant

hello!

I have a four shaft jack loom and I want to weave a rug. I have never woven one before so will definitely be doing lots of sampling etc. But I wonder if anybody has any resources for me to follow specifications from? I ultimately would love to make a shag rug or a loop pile rug and would love some tips before I start my sampling adventure, as it is quite hard to find resources online.

thank you!
        Martha

kathleen ready
        Participant

Hi Martha, I have woven a few rag rugs and I have 2 books that I draw inspiration from.

Favorite Rag Rugs by Tina Ingell.  She has mostly 4 shaft drafts with overshot, twill and rep weave rugs as well as a rya rug, which would work for shag.

One of her other books has one blanket with the loop technique. Favorite Scandinavian Projects. This technique uses wooden doweling to wrap the weft around. The loops are created after 4 plain weave pics. This blanket uses velour for the loops so they do not slip or move around.

Weaving Rag Rugs by Tom Knisely. Again mostly 4 shaft drafts using rags from sheets or old sari material. He focuses on techniques  for ripping rags and finishing the edges of the carpets. There are no rya or loop rugs but a good selection for a beginner.

heidi
          Participant

I weave lots of rugs and agree that Tom Knisley’s rug weaving book  and his videos are a great resource. For pile rugs, check out the RUG Weaving Groups on Facebooks, like of folks are weaving with wool selvages. Ordering depends on which coast you are on, as shipping costs are distance dependent.

Shag rugs are mostly done with mill selvages and preferences range widely from 6 EPI using 8/4 rug warp doubled to 12 EPI. Haven’t seen much on loop pile rugs, except for a hand technique for loop pile washcloths, using a dowel or knitting to make consistent loops. But I’m sure you can come up with something.

Good luck, cheers,

Martha sexton
            Participant

thank you this is helpful!

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.