Rigid heddle 15 dent reed

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      molliereddick
      Participant

how interesting that you mentioned the 15 dent reed. I am taking a Shakiori class in March with Tom Kniseley. He suggests a 15 dent reed for the class. I would order one right away, except I don’t know if my sleying hook can go through such a small space. My sleying hook balks at going through the 12.5.  Any suggestions for making the 15 dent reed work?

Ginette
        Keymaster

Hi Mollie,

What kind of hook do you use?

I use the Harrisville brass sleying hook and you’ll find them all over Jane’s studio as well.  I just tried mine with my 15 dent reed (haven’t use that reed in a while now) and it goes through it.  Goes beautiful through my 12 dent reed for sure, that I’ve used many times.

ETA  oops, didn’t realize you’re using a rigid heddle reed which I don’t have.  sorry about that!

Ginette

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Ginette.
          molliereddick
          Participant

I would think that the space to put the hook in would be the same with floor and rigid heddle loom. I have a brass sleying hook but it is thick so I will try Harrisville. Thank you for your help.

lavendersheep
            Participant

I have a question related to the 15 dent reed too. I have a Schact Flip and the largest dent reed I can get is a 12. I found that Ashford is the only one that makes a 15 dent reed, so I’m wondering if anyone knows if it would fit my loom? My reed is 27″ long. Would the 28″ size work? Thanks!

Yvonne

Ginette
                Keymaster

Hi Yvonne,

Just thinking, if you already have a few reeds, could you not use 2?  Like a 5 and a 10 to get 15 or the 8 and the 10 to get 18 epi?  Just thinking of the reeds that are available from Schacht.

Ginette

lavendersheep
                    Participant

I’ll have to think about that. Adding a second reed makes it more complicated to think about because instead of it being a 4 shaft loom, it ends up being a 3 shaft loom. So I can’t do plain weave without adding a pick up stick. Not impossible, but tricky.

I’m going to try making some calls next week to a couple of shops to see if they can measure some they have on hand. Thanks!

Yvonne

janice.masson
                      Participant

The answer to using two reeds, a 10 and 5 to get 15 is a yes.  I found the most descriptive example of how to thread those 2 reeds is a YouTube video made by Webs.  I believe the title is something like threading 2 rigid heddles.

Janice

lavendersheep
                    Participant

So, this is what I found out:

I called Halcyon, Yarn Barn of Kansas, and a local shop. All of them were closed when I called on the weekend, so I tried again on Monday. I want to give a big shout out to Yarn Barn of Kansas as being the most helpful resource. She not only went and measured the rigid heddles between Ashford and Schacht, she also made sure they would fit in the slots between the two brands. The Ashford 28″ is the closest in size, which is 29″ long and the Schacht 25″ is 27″ long. They do their measurements based on weaving width, which is why they are different. So, in order to use the Ashford I would have to cut an inch off of each end, which goes into the plastic area. I’m not sure I’m brave enough to do that!

Next I contacted Schacht, who also have wonderful customer service! They got back to me right away. Here is their message:

We are planning to but it probably won’t actually make it to customers until 2019. I would ask Jane, she is a lovely person, tell her Cindy Lair said to ask her for a solution. She will probably laugh, as we are old friends.

Kind regards,

Cindy Lair

Customer Service

Schacht Spindle Co., Inc.

So, I think my current plan will be try everything with a 12 dent reed with different yarn and then go back for my favorites next year when I can get a 15.

Viewing 4 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.