Reed choice for Harrisville Shetland

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Reed choice for Harrisville Shetland

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Khabira Wise 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Khabira Wise
    Participant

Will do!

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi Khabira,

Happy that your sampling worked out and you’ve decided on the one you like best and going with the 10 epi that feels better to you with the floof. It’s amazing how one yarn can turn out differently with setts. So many possibilities 🙂 You’ll have to post your blanket when it’s all woven, would love to see it.

Khabira Wise
    Participant

Hi, Ginette,

I (finally!) finished my two samples and am surprised to discover I do prefer the feel of the 10 epi, because it did indeed floof more, and has more of a halo.

Visually, I might say I prefer the look of the pattern in the twill a bit more in the 12 epi, but I’m gonna go with feel as the deciding factor.

Thanks so much for your great advice.

Khabira

Ginette
    Keymaster

Glad you’ll be sampling 🙂 A couple years ago, I sampled with the Harrisville to weave yardage for a full length cape. Ended up choosing 10 EPI based on the weight of the cloth & thickness for a wearable piece. The cape ended up weighing about 3 lbs and durable, I was happy with that decision.

I do enjoy sampling now, thanks to that little voice of Jane’s inside of my head! I’m always excited to see what one sett will do compared to another and what I can use it for if it’s not what I was aiming. When I started sampling, most of the pieces ended up as little mats for my cat to lay on, which she loved by the way! Now I keep all of them for reference and write about them in my sketchbook, something I started doing since the online guild instead of writing on bits of papers that magically disappear or the back of envelopes that end up in the recycling bin by accident 😉

Let us know your thoughts on the sampling you do and what you think of the softness of each piece.

Khabira Wise
    Participant

What? Sample? Instead of rushing straight in on a huge, expensive blankie?

You’re brilliant! I do have some extra by means of two cones in colors I’m not using in the blankie.

Thanks. I’ll totally do it!

Ginette
    Keymaster

You can certainly weave it at 10 EPI.  Do you have enough yarn on hand to do a few small samples at 10 and 12 and wash them to see how each feels?

Khabira Wise
    Participant

Thanks, Ginette.

I just noticed on the Harrisville Shetland page it’s mentioned that having a more open sett allows the fabric to full more and that it says sett can be 10 to 12. So if I change my plan 10 epi will my blankie be softer?

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi Khabira,

You’ll be fine using the Harrisville Shetland, one per dent in your 12 dent reed.

I just love this yarn and how it transforms after washing!

Ginette

Khabira Wise
    Participant

Hi!  I’m going to make a blanket with Harrisville Shetland (in both the warp and weft). It will be twill, for which the recommended sett is 12 epi.  I was wondering if it was OK to use a 12-dent reed, or if you recommend a 6-dent (2 ends per dent). I thought maybe there would be too much rubbing on the fiber if I use the 12 dent?

Thanks so much!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.