Question re Cotton Boucle Tea Towel

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Question re Cotton Boucle Tea Towel

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Khabira Wise
      Participant

Morning, Lady Jane!

I am beginning one of your Cotton Boucle Tea Towel kits. I have just finished threading the heddles on my sparkly new Spring when I realized that the number of ends, 262 is not divisible by 4. So there I was merrily threading 1,2,3,4 and tying up in bundles of 12, which leaves my last group abruptly ending in 1,2 with a count of 10.

I am a brand-spanking new weaver and this leaves me a-scratching my head.

Thanks so much for explaining this to me,

Khabira

Ginette
        Keymaster

Hi Khabira,

You’ll be fine ending your threading on harnesses 1 & 2 and it won’t interfere.  I’ll try and explain…your weft thread will be alternating, over one and under one and so on when you’re lifting harnesses 1 & 3 against harnesses 2 & 4 to create plain weave.  Because you’re ending with 2 threads, one on 1 and one on 2, you’re 1 will be against 2 and vice versa, continuing the sequence of plain weave of ‘one under & one over’ so ending your threading on 1,2 is basically the same as ending your threading with 3,4 if there was 264 threads.  But the pattern is correct and has 262 threads.  Jane could explain this way better than I can but she’s away on holidays at the moment.

Hope this is helpful!

Ginette

Khabira Wise
            Participant

Thank you so much. I do now get it. I’ve had twills in my head which have to be in groups of four (with the same 1,2,3,4 threading as for p/w) and I guess I became fixated on “all things must be in fours.” Thanks for straightening me out.

Glad to hear Jane is having some time off.

Best,

Khabira

ps: When I double checked my warp count, assuming at first I had made an error, how proud was I that all 5 colors had the correct count? Very 🙂

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.