Question about Texsolv Heddles

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      strong61
      Participant

When should you replace your Texsolv Heddles?  I have quite a few that are loose.  The eyes on the loose heddles still line up with the others but they are so loose now. Should they be?  I purchased my David loom early 2018.

rooneymt
        Participant

I’m interested to hear responses. I didn’t think you had to replace the Texsolv Heddles unless they happened to break? Only problems I’ve had is when I cut the ties on the Texsolv to close to the tops and the strands slipped through the top and the heddles came apart. I quickly learned to leave a long strand when cutting! :))

And perhaps that’s what’s happening. When they are new they are tight on the shafts. And as you use them the strands on the top/bottom slip slightly. Once it gets to a lesser tension I would suspect they wouldn’t slip anymore.

Sandra
          Keymaster

Hi, Leslie – was your loom brand new when you bought it?  The reason I’m asking is that my David is 10 years old and the heddles on it aren’t loose – in a way I visualize loose ;-). They slide nicely along the shafts.  I have Texsolv heddles on an old Woolhouse Table loom and I’ve had it for – I’m guessing – 25 years and have never replaced the heddles.  Texsolv is so strong, that I can’t imagine them stretching or breaking – just softening up with use, like a comfortable pair of shoes.  I have a naked David at the moment – would it help if I took photos of my heddles?

Nina Kennedy
            Participant

I also think Texsolv heddles would not be stretching. Could it be that you need to adjust the shaft bars these particular heddles are on? I’m not sure about the David loom but on my Spring loom there are white knobs at the corners of the top and bottom of each shaft bar that you can turn to tighten or lengthen in order to move the shaft bars closer or farther from each other (i.e. distance from top shaft bar to bottom shaft bar). In this case they might need to be adjusted farther away from each other in order to make the heddles a little tighter.

strong61
              Participant

Thank you for all the wonderful comments.  I am working with 4 shafts out of 8 right now and it is interesting that the heddles on Shaft 2 and 3 in the middle area, are the only areas that are looser.  I moved some brand new heddles onto these shafts with same outcome.  I have checked the loom and everything seems fine.  I do not have shaft knobs on the David to make adjustments.  All my heddles look good.  The tension everywhere seems ok as well.  I like the comment from Sandra – ” just softening up with use, like a comfortable pair of shoes”.  I will get another project started and see how they do.

Sue Anne Sullivan
                Participant

Hi, I have a new 8/10 Baby Wolf loom and love it for the size and portability. I find the metal heddles okay, easy to thread, but noisy while weaving. Also I worry about abrasion of delicate yarns with some setts. I am thinking about replacing the metal heddles with Texsolv heddles. Has anyone here done that? I have read various opinions online and they range from saying “Yes! Do it!” to “No, don’t do it, it will mess up the weight of the shafts.”  I have come to be cautious of weaving advice online (unless it comes from JST. ) 😉

Anyone have any words of wisdom? Thanks.

Sandra
                    Keymaster

Jane suggests that you go directly to Schacht to ask this particular question.  They are the ones who would really know if and how Texsolv heddles would change the operation of your loom.  They might offer them as an option and it would be worth checking out if that’s a route you would like to go.

Sue Anne Sullivan
                    Participant

Thanks for the advice. I contacted both the Schacht Company and also the Lunatic Fringe Yarns company (as they sell Texsolv heddles for use with the Baby Wolf, along with other looms.) I thought I would post their advice here in case anyone else ever wonders the same thing. Ultimately, I think I am going to keep my metal heddles for now. The noise is not really too loud, and I was more concerned with the metal heddles possibly fraying fragile yarns. But if I do end up finding that is ever a problem, I will cross that bridge at that time.

Advice from Schacht: “We don’t encourage use of texsolv heddles on the Baby Wolf because of the weight issue. You would definitely need to use the treadle aid and also possibly weight the harnesses further. The correct texsolv to use is HR8011P 9” Brown. You would definitely be trading noise and ease of use, to quiet and a bit of struggle from what I have heard, but of course, the choice is yours.”

Advice from Lunatic Fringe Yarns: Thank you for your question about Texsolv heddles.  As you have heard from online advice, Texsolv heddles have their pluses and minuses.  I have metal heddles on a baby wolf loom and texsolv on an AVL loom, so I appreciate the features of both.  On a big loom, they really are important for my knees as I lift the harnesses as the texsolv heddles do significantly reduce the weight of the harnesses. They are quieter and significantly lighter so when you are weaving, they make things go smoothly which can be a very nice feature.  I find them slightly more cumbersome to thread and they don’t slide on the harness frames like metal heddles.  So, it really is a trade off.  You should ask yourself if the noise of weaving is bothersome enough to keep you from enjoying your time at the loom.  If the answer is yes, then they would certainly be worth the little extra attention when threading.  If you have issues with sticky harnesses after installing them, that is a separate issue that needs to be addressed.  Like cleaning the metal channels, using steel wool on the harness frames, checking to make sure that your loom is square.”

Sandra
                        Keymaster

Thank you, Sue for sharing your response with us.  It will help others asking the same question.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                    • The forum ‘Season 3 – Pushing the Boundaries of Plain Weave’ is closed to new topics and replies.