Pseudo Warps

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ginette 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 380
    • Totals: 391
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Laura Rose,

I think it would be a tad challenging to tie up your warp to the pseudo warp between the reed and heddles but it’s do able for sure. You’ll have to find a good way to sit so your arms and shoulders don’t get tired quickly. But yes, you can do it.

laurarose
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 14
    • Totals: 15
    • Weaving wonder

Soooo, I am also a hand-spinner and am about to do my 1st handspun warp and a pseudo warp.  Unfortunately, because I goofed, I need to sley two warps in alternate stripes, which I know how to do warping front to back.  And I get how to do a pseudo warp (I think) from watching the mohair blankie episode twice.  My question is:  can I tie on my “good” warp to the pseudo warp BETWEEN the reed (after sleying) and the heddles (after threading the dummy warp from back to front).

There is frightfully little info about pseudo warps and using hands-pun on the interwebs or in any of my books.

I have been subscribing to this guild for all three years and I am still watching the first season more than I care to admit.  Every episode I notice something new! Thank you, Jane!

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 380
    • Totals: 391
    • Weaving wonder

Hi,

You could certainly do a pseudo warp for special projects that you want less yarn waste like your handspun yarn. I would only put the amount you need per project unless you’re able to tie the ones you don’t use securely so they don’t fall off when not in use.

Ginette

Summerhill Spinner
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 7
    • Totals: 11
    • Weaving wonder

Is there a benefit to making a pseudo warp with many ends maybe bundled in 50 ends each and putting them on as needed for certain projects?

I’m a hand spinner and newish weaver and I don’t like the idea of wasting handspun yarn. My thought was that if I had pseudo warp ends ready, I could choose however many I needed for a project, beam it on, thread heddles and sley the reed and then tie the handspun like Jane does her mohair.

Just wondering if this makes sense.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.