Projects

Viewing 48 reply threads
  • Author
      Gabriele
      Participant

I like to see finished projects and there for I started with my realy first one on a great floor loom

While viewing the first and second episode I finished my first project on my new spring loom. A stola 72 cm wide and 208cm long with handspun wool in a 40/10 reed, every dent a thread and some thicker ones which I distributed after Fibronacci. More Pictures you will find at my blog

http://salsabilseigensinn.blogspot.de/2017/02/gewebte-stola-aus-adventskalenderwolle.html

IMG_2939

• This topic was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Gabriele.
        Sandra
        Keymaster

That’s beautiful, Gabriele!  You must be very happy with your first project on a floor loom.  Did you use handspun for your weft or something else?

Thank you for starting this thread – hopefully others will post photos of what they are weaving or have woven since they joined our JST Online Guild.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Sandra.
            Gabriele
            Participant

Sandra, it is handspun yarn in warp and weft, two ply and nothing broke ((-:

Raven
            Participant

Beautiful weaving Gabriele.

What I’ve woven from what I’ve learned in this guild:

Please be kind.  I’m still very much a novice weaver.  Sure, I’ve been weaving off and on for over a decade, but only seriously started weaving 6 months ago.  I have so much to learn but thankfully there are some amazing mentors in town to learn from.

These towels and dishcloths (dishcloths are samples) are the first things I warped using the techniques I learned in episode one.  They are woven in 8/2 cotton using the peaceful rhythm pattern.

IMG_1817

I used 16/2 for the hem, but when it came time to fold it under, there was a bit showing.  I thought it looked okay, so I left it as a ‘design detail’.

IMG_1818

This is one of the samples of what I’m working on now.  I wanted to learn something called waffle weave as my imagination says this will be nice for the bathroom towels.  As I’m weaving on a jack loom (and am still pretty crap at tossing the shuttle – I’ve renamed my shuttle a ‘drop shuttle’ as it falls more time than my spindle – please, oh please, I hope episode three will help with this), anyway, as I suck, I was nervous about waffle weave that had 3 up 1 down, so I choose this pattern which is always 1 up 3 down.  I got four colours of blue and drew with pencil crayons all sorts of patterns, in the end, I kept waffling about what pattern to use, my loom was empty, so I just did a random warp with all 4 colours, then each cloth had a different solid colour weft.

IMG_1892

I liked how it turned out so I wound a warp for four towels.  It was amazing!  Using the episode one method, I was able to get the whole warp on the warping mill instead of having to break it into two or three sections.  It was so fast when I stopped for my first count I was only a couple of warps shy of being finished.  That was too much fun, so I right away wound a second one using leftover cones of yarn, randomly changing to a new colour as a cone ran out.

IMG_1907

The pictures aren’t doing the colours justice.  It’s way richer looking in person.  Oh well.

The blue one I put on the loom using what I learned in episode two.  So easy!

This guild has been a great help to my weaving.  Thanks so much Jane and everyone who made it happen.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Raven.
                Martha
                Participant

Wow! All your work is just lovely. You have nothing to apologize for.

I haven’t started on any project associated with these lessons and won’t until I have my new-to-me countermarche loom up and running. But I’ve been weaving napkins on my Saori and my biggest problem is my total lack of sewing skills. I’ve left about 1″ for a hem on each end I assume I should cut and hem before washing, right? Wd love some tips on this

Gabriele
                Participant

IMG_2981IMG_2978

My second project a rosepath scarf. I learned that I have to think that there must be selvegde threads ((-:

Gabriele
                    Participant

Weavingfever… hope it isn`t boring but I am so happy with my projects, altough I know I have to learn so much ((-:IMG_2987IMG_2990

It is a lace pattern which you will find at “Helgas Webstube”,  under the keywords Weben mit Einfachgarn”

I pposted the link at my blog

http://salsabilseigensinn.blogspot.de/2017/03/frisch-vom-webstuhl-gehupft.html

My yarn is 3-plied handspun merinowoll, which i dyed before spinning.

Sandra
                        Keymaster

Wonderful, Gabriele!  It looks like you are following Jane’s advice, making short warps and having fun 😊

Alison
                      Participant

Just recently I purchased (another loom!) a Jane and here is the first runner off it. A nice overshot pattern from Handwoven mag. Apologies for wearing my pyjamas online!

Overshot piece

Sandra
                          Keymaster

Alison – 👍👏😊

Jane
                            Keymaster

Hey Alison, I love your weaving but I love your jammies too :).

Thank you so much for posting.

Kathy
                            Participant

My first project using the b2f method…look at all those threads so pretty and even! 😊

IMG_1941

Alison
                                Participant

Wow! Beautiful piece. 🏅 I’m not sure the Saori loom was meant for such gorgeous non-organic, non-alternative weaving! Only jokes! If you can do this on a saori loom I’d like to see what you can do on a floor loom. Best wishes.

Alison
                                Participant

Here is the Fibonacci scarf (L) from episode 6, just off the loom.

Ali's scarves

Maria Horvath
                                  Participant

Had a blast weaving a set of M & W place mats with all of my new JST skills!  Lots of notes on my ravelry project page.

Finding all of the episodes and guild forum posts helpful & inspiring! Next up, overshot mug rugs on new to me Kombo.

M&W6-17platedM&W6-17

Diana
                                      Participant

IMG_1012IMG_1013IMG_1016It has been so smokey in our area so it’s a good excuse to stay inside and weave. I finished up these Bronson lace cottolin tea towels.  Very happy with them.  Will definitely use cottolin more often.

Jane
                                      Keymaster

Great project…..those towels look wonderful.  Thank you to everyone who is taking the time to post.  Please share, we all have something to share :).  Someday we will have like buttons….we are presently working on an index…that will help everyone find things easier.

Ed Chapman
                                        Participant

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 7.09.49 PM

Just finished winding a warp of 8/2 cotton boucle for a pair of bath towels I bought from Jane’s store, and am now threading my way across. I decided to try the highly textured yarn for the first time- the loops scared me for years. The videos were so helpful and encouraging. Warping and winding was no problem at all. Hoping to start weaving before the weekend is out! I

Jane
                                            Keymaster

Great job Ed.  Just watch which reed you use.  If you use a fine reed it will be hard on those loops so try to use the reed substitution chart and an open reed sleyed to the appropriate sleying ….like an 8 and you won’t have any problems. 🙂

Ed Chapman
                                            Participant

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 10.41.28 AM

The 8/2 cotton boucle towels are weaving up beautifully. I followed Jane’s advice and used an 8 epi reed with two ends per slot to get 16 epi and allow the loopy threads lots of space. The only thing I have to watch for are the floating selvedge threads which sometimes catch and need a pluck or a thrum across the woven area to bounce into alignment. This is the widest project I have ever woven ( 29.5″ in reed) on this Ashford 8 table loom, and I had to take some heddles off of each harness to make room- my last project was Atwater Bronson Lace.  I picked eight colors just to get a feel for the range of choices in this yarn, and its been a lot of fun watching the way each color blends as I add stripes. Thanks again Jane for your help and encouragement.

Sandra
                                              Keymaster

Absolutely stunning, Ed!  You’re proving, once again, it’s the weaver that creates wonderful cloth, not fancy tools!  👏👏👏

Elizabeth
                                                Participant

Just finished developing the basement this week — no furniture yet, but I couldn’t wait to set up the looms again after being in storage! Currently working on two different tea towel projects, both in 8/2 cotton.20748329_10154544397737282_7409409530212481718_o

Sandra
                                                  Keymaster

What a spacious studio you have, Elizabeth!  It looks like you have really thought out your lighting needs as well.  Any natural light coming in???

Elizabeth
                                                      Participant

I have two windows in the basement, which bring in some light — this picture was taken at night, though, so no natural light!

Sandra
                                                      Keymaster

Looks “picture” perfect 😉   Looking forward to seeing the finished photos of your two projects.

Patricia
                                                        Participant

Hi Kathy, what does b2f stand for and which 4shaft pattern are you weaving? I really like it.

Paddy

Gabriele
                                                            Participant

b2f is back to front Patrica

Kathy
                                                              Participant

Sorry for taking so long to respond Paddy! I didn’t see your post.

I used the back to front method for this project. It’s the large check gingham towel pattern from Weaver’s Craft, Summer 2001.Volume 2. Number 2 edition. It can be found on weaverscraft.com

Gabriele
                                                              Participant

IMG-20171016-WA000357d2d5e26e2a1a3029499baf4e01bd0bbn

Huck lace scarf handspun merino silkblend two clours warp blue weft grey 200 cm long and 42 cm wide Project thirdteen for this year ((-:

Sandra
                                                                Keymaster

Beautiful scarf, Gabriele!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Sandra.
                                                                  Caroline
                                                                  Participant

Please check my photos in the Episode 6 replies:  asymmetrical scarf.  I learned  2 big things.

Carrie
                                                                    Participant

These are my projects…..the loom is a 1950s 45” LeClerc Fanny Loom and bench that I spent the summer sanding down and cleaning and replacing a few things.  It was very dirty and in rough shape when I bought it.  My first weaving projects are these 2 rugs – one done with wool yarn and the other with strips of polar fleece.  I wove once on a small table loom many years ago, so this was all a learning process.  The guild episodes really helped me get started.  My biggest obstacle was getting enough shed.  I adjusted the height of my shafts and followed Jane’s tips and  am pretty happy with the results.  I would like to try tea towels next…..

7BA24343-AD3E-4FD1-92AD-758AABF87AB7B9EEDB93-7725-491D-81F2-540E0461D0E79C1FD176-7126-4580-A3FC-725D763F1969

Karen
                                                                      Participant

1F21893C-9F52-4353-B208-597FD3286427http://First wool blanket, tried Harrisville Wool for the first time.

Ed Chapman
                                                                        Participant

Working on a 14 yard warp of 8/2 cottolin for hand towels- and had to cut off the first seven because I could not wait to start finishing them! Having fun mixing in boucle and playing with the overshot draft. Should be set for holiday gifts for 2017. I love my new Spring loom.

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 4.44.44 PM

• #35049
                                                                          Ed Chapman
                                                                          Participant

IMG_2303

Just started weaving a second set of three tencel scarves. The first set came through wet finishing amazingly soft and I am quite happy with them. I avoided tencel for a while because it was not “natural,” but wanted some experience before investing in silk. I am a convert. This fiber is truly a changeling- when it came off the loom it was very hard. After washing it remained hard.  I was discouraged. But once dry it was very soft and drapey. The shrinkage of the warp was about 10%- more than I thought it would be.

Details:

Draft: Some kind of twill- I am not very good at twillese. It was a bear to thread, but not as hard as I thought it would be to treadle. The pattern inverts halfway through and the sequence has a logic.

Shafts: 8

Treadles: 8

Warp: 322 ends 8/2 tencel at 27 epi in a 10 dent reed slewed 332332…

• #36429
                                                                            Ed Chapman
                                                                            Participant

IMG_7984My first attempt at a full width of my loom project. This will be a 60″ wide wool blanket woven in two strips that are married up the middle. I am hoping to one day feel competent enough to try a true double weave this wide on my Spring. I am using Harrisville Shetland for warp and weft set at 15 epi and 15 ppi and a straight 2 x 2 twill. I went a little tighter than the 13 epi Jane suggests. This was to fit in the number of pattern repeats I needed for the tartan design. I modified the “Sutherland” tartan slightly to achieve the full width of 508 ends, and replaced blue with gray. I found a great resource for tartan patterns here: https://www2.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/monographs/dhc_tar.pdf. Hopefully after fulling the seam will be barely discernible. I made a plain weave wool bedspread a few years ago on a rigid heddle loom and that project took five strips. The seams vanished after fulling. Other than a few broken warp threads during the beaming (which I did all by myself- THIS was a challenge), so far so good!

• #36445
                                                                                Kathy
                                                                                Participant

Wow Ed, you have been busy! Lovely work! I look forward to seeing your finished blanket and interested in how you join the two panels together. Please post your results!

• #36452
                                                                                    Ed Chapman
                                                                                    Participant

Thanks! I get so much encouragement from this site.

• #37153
                                                                                  Elizabeth
                                                                                  Participant

Hello! Has anyone tried either of the placemat kits sold in the JST store? It doesn’t mention if they’re for 4 or 8 shaft looms. Thanks!

• #37204
                                                                                      Jane
                                                                                      Keymaster

They are 4 shaft patterns.

• #37555
                                                                                      Ed Chapman
                                                                                      Participant

Jane’s mohair blanket videos inspired me to go the full width of my reed…. Harrisville Shetland wool blanket. Approx. 78″ x 58″ woven on Spring 90. Two panels stitched together. Woven at 16 epi, but was not able to get 16 ppi, so tartan squares were rectangles… but still a nice blanket! Planning the next one at 12 epi as Jane recommends and hopefully a successful double weave twill to avoid the seam.

IMG_3840

• #37560
                                                                                          Kathy
                                                                                          Participant

Beautiful blanket!!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Kathy.
                                                                                          • #37604
                                                                                            Jane
                                                                                            Keymaster

High Five Ed….beautiful.

• #37559
                                                                                            Karen
                                                                                            Participant

Awesome blanket Ed, you inspire us to try new things out of our comfort zone.

• #38620
                                                                                              Martha
                                                                                              Participant

Beautiful work Ed!

• #38698
                                                                                                Beth Napper
                                                                                                Participant

Hi Ed, I love your weaving pictures. I have been wanting to try weaving with tencel for a long time. Where do you get your tencel from?

Beth

• #38715
                                                                                                  Ed Chapman
                                                                                                  Participant

Hey Beth: RE the tencel…. I buy it from Yarn.com on 0.5 pound cones. They give a nice discount if you buy in quantity. Watch out for backorders though.  I don’t know where they get it from, but I have had no issues with knots on the cones- which I have heard can be an issue sometimes. The cones are also not EXACTLY 0.5 lbs…. sometimes a little more- yes I check!

Their customer service emails are amazing- somebody answers almost immediately.

I also buy from Halcyon.com. They are amazingly fast with delivery but a little more expensive.

Hope this is useful!

• #38955
                                                                                                      Lynne
                                                                                                      Participant

Ed, your blanket is gorgeous. You give me hope that I too can weave a blanket in two sections and seam them together. I would like to know how you seamed the pieces together. What seam stitch did you use? I liked to hear that it became almost invisible after being fulled.

Lynne

• #38997
                                                                                                      Ed Chapman
                                                                                                      Participant

Lynn:

Regarding the blanket. I sewed the two halves together with the same wool as the warp using a tapestry needle. The stitch was just a simple whip stitch. Try and space them evenly and catch the warp selvedge threads only. Also, start sewing a few inches in at each end and then reverse and sew back over what you have already sewn to add strength at the ends. I also twisted the fringes at the joined edges at both ends first to stabilize it even more. Don’t pull the stitches too tight.

I hope this helps.

• #39744
                                                                                                        Ed Chapman
                                                                                                        Participant

The double weave twill blanket is going very well, I’m happy to say. Its quite magical watching two layers and a fold emerge as I weave… almost impossible to get my head around at first. I am weaving the Harrisville Shetland at 12 epi and 12 ppi, which feels really “right.” The beat is firm but not hard. I was worried at first as I threaded all. those. heddles…. they seemed so close together and the 12 dent reed with 2 per dent felt crowded, but no problems at all. Not a single broken thread and a clean shed as long as I keep the tension firm. It ended up 35 inches wide in the reed and 32.5 inches after 2.5 inches of draw in.

IMG_4838

• #40013
                                                                                                            Jane
                                                                                                            Keymaster

Great job Ed 🙂

Doubleweave does seem magical 🙂

• #42130
                                                                                                                Karen
                                                                                                                Participant

Will we be doing double weave at some point? I’m intimidated by it but only have a 32 inch weaving space, so if I’m going to make a blankie, I need to learn how.

• #39937
                                                                                                              Ginette
                                                                                                              Keymaster

Hi Jacqueline,

You’ve got a good start!  I’m going to try and move your comment & photo into the new topic we started for Asymmetry sample, just in case you’re wondering where it went 😉

Ginette

• #40126
                                                                                                                Clare
                                                                                                                Participant

IMG_3073Weaving my first double-width blanket on 4 shafts. I’m using Harrisville Shetland in warp and weft with a strand of Kidsilk Haze added to the weft for extra fuzz factor. Inspired by my guild episode viewing to try a Fibonacci inspired design!

• #40129
                                                                                                                  Sandra
                                                                                                                  Keymaster

Absolutely stunning colours you’ve used with Mr. Fibonacci and Jane as your guides!  Can’t wait to see the finished blanket 👏

• #40134
                                                                                                                    Ghislaine
                                                                                                                    Participant

Clare, you double weave blanket is very nice.

• #40135
                                                                                                                      Ghislaine
                                                                                                                      Participant

Ed,

Beautiful double weave blankets

I have double weave blankets on  my list of projects for quite some time, but seeing all the nice works in this post, I might give it a try shortly.

• #40138
                                                                                                                        Ed Chapman
                                                                                                                        Participant

Just finished fulling the tartan blanket. Very pleased. Double weave is magical. You cut it off the loom and unfold it and there it is! The fold vanished during wet treatment….. except for a slight miscount in warp threads. Harrisville shetland feels wonderful after washing.

IMG_8929

• #40735
                                                                                                                            Ellen Black
                                                                                                                            Participant

Ed your blanket is amazing !

• #40777
                                                                                                                                Diana
                                                                                                                                Participant

I feel like I could just come on here everyday and say how much I like this guild…but I did want to show what I have learned….I took this teatowel idea and using 4/8 cotton changed it to  (Hopefully) a baby blanket.  I picked something fairly simple and quick to test out the Leclerc 8 shaft colonial that is new to me.  I am able to recognize a few kinks I will need to figure out but overall am happy with this first attempt.

oh and I really like this guild 🙂

imageimage

• #40146
                                                                                                                              Sandra
                                                                                                                              Keymaster

Woo hoo, Ed!  👏👏👍 Beautiful blanket you can be sooo proud of!

• #40164
                                                                                                                                Beth Napper
                                                                                                                                Participant

Wow, Ed! Such a gorgeous blanket. I have always shied away from doubleweave but I need to break out of the box.  Maybe my next big project (after the tea towels!!). Very encouraging . Love the colour combinations!

• #41094
                                                                                                                                  Alison
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Just finished some fun shadow-weave material which I made into eyeglasses cases.

IMG_0074 2

• #41095
                                                                                                                                    Alison
                                                                                                                                    Participant

And my mohair blankie( a la Jane Stafford) became a cocoon jacket. Whoops!

IMG_0064

• #41197
                                                                                                                                      Chrysalis
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Here’s my finished set of towels… a Strickler experiment in color.  So fun!Strickler Towels  small

• #48908
                                                                                                                                          Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Beautiful ! Which pattern is it?

• #41829
                                                                                                                                          Ginette
                                                                                                                                          Keymaster

I’ve been weaving a couple of wedding shawls for my nephew’s bride to choose from,  and am enjoying fringe twisting this morning! It hasn’t been a fun task in the past but it’s way more enjoyable since doing Jane’s way.  The weft is 20/2 spun silk I picked up at Jane’s a few weeks ago.  Warp is 3/2 organic cotton and safari cotton.  The shawl hasn’t been washed yet but it’s feeling so soft already.20180315_103354-1

• #41831
                                                                                                                                              Betty.allen
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Ginette,

I absolutely love your shawl.  That is exactly the loose weave look I’m trying to achieve.  Did you alternate every other thread with 3/2 and organic cotton?  It is lovely

• #41836
                                                                                                                                                  Ginette
                                                                                                                                                  Keymaster

Hi Betty, Thanks! yes I alternated the Safari & 3/2 organic cotton making sure that each side finished with one thread of 3/2.  10 EPI, used 10 dent Reed as the safari has a bit of thickness here and there.  I ended up weaving closer to 12 PPI, just letting the silk settled where it felt like.  Here’s a picture of the sample scarf I did using Jane’s tussah silk as weft, same warp.  The scarf has been washed so you can see how that one turned out.  I think there was 10% shrinkage on it and it seemed to bloom beautiful.  Just washed the shawl so will post when it’s​ dry.20180315_120506-1

• #48910
                                                                                                                                                      Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Love the look,  it looks so soft, and nice halo

• #48693
                                                                                                                                                  Ginette
                                                                                                                                                  Keymaster

I’m working on my Jane loom, she’s been at a couple demos this month and time to finish weaving her off. The warp is Tussar Tweed silk and the weft is 2/16 cotton. This is a long sample, long enough to end up with a scarf.  I’m loving the feel, the thinnest & softness of the fabric so far. Keeping with plain weave it’s​ really showing the design & the slubs in the warp which was my goal 🙂20180928_184434-1

• #48782
                                                                                                                                                    Ed Chapman
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

OK! Getting ready to start a 110 inch wide 100 inch long coverlet for a queen-sized bed….. IMG_9361

• #48799
                                                                                                                                                      Sandra
                                                                                                                                                      Keymaster

Wow, Ed!  That just boggles my mind.  Looking forward to seeing photos as you progress.  I love the colours you have chosen.

• #48939
                                                                                                                                                        Ed Chapman
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Just finished winding on a 16 yard warp 36 wide of 3/2 perle cotton…a nd did it all by myself.

IMG_4429IMG_0967

• #48946
                                                                                                                                                            Ginette
                                                                                                                                                            Keymaster

Looks fabulous Ed, I really like how you used the blue as your divider & zinger.  Blue goes with so many colours and you’ve proven it right there!

• #48947
                                                                                                                                                            Ed Chapman
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Ginette- Thanks! I ordered the yarn from Yarn Barn and it looked a lot darker online. A color called “quarry.” I was worried but it turned out to be a slightly gray blue, which works with the browns.

Viewing 48 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                          • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.