Problem weaving twill

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Bonnie Socket 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Bonnie Socket
    Participant

Thank you Fran!

Fran
    Participant

For straight twill ,you do not need floating selvedges, if you start on the correct side.  You can also reverse the twill treadling, if you skip one lift.

Twill has not been covered in classes!

Bonnie Socket
    Participant

Thank you for your response, Jae. I think you’re correct in saying I may have lucked into the situation!  I did use a floating selvedge as Cindy suggested and was pleased with the result.

I’m  finding this forum and my membership invaluable sources of information…  Thanks!

1B650684-C83A-4B59-BD9E-724F374AF03FD68EAEB1-1CEF-4F0F-A338-428B8151634A

Jae
    Participant

It is possible – depends on the threading / treadling combination and thoughtful consideration of which side you are throwing the shuttle.  You might have lucked in to the perfect situation without realizing it.

But most of the time, a floating selvedge is needed to capture the outside threads of your warp.

Bonnie Socket
    Participant

Thanks, Cindy!  I will try the floating selvedge.  But I thought I wove a twill without a selvedge previously.   Is this possible?

Cindy Solomon
    Participant

Bonnie you need a floating selvedge for twill. You can add one on each side even after you’ve  beamed. Just measure 2 warp threads( I often double them) and weight them  off the back beam. Sley them through the reed but don’t thread through a heddle. They will float on either side of your shed.

Bonnie Socket
    Participant

I’m a beginner and having a problem weaving a twill pattern in that the end threads are not catching. Any ideas?  Thanks!

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  Bonnie Socket.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.