Paper crooked after beaming warp

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 2 – Colour & Design Paper crooked after beaming warp

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Khabira Wise
      Participant

Morning! I finally beamed the warp for the color gamp (I got way behind once spring came and all my time is spent on the gardens, anyhew …). I put it on without a helper and the paper got more and more crooked as I went along. I know it is supposed to be straight and I have figured out, in my mind at least, how I can re-chain it and re-beam it, so I am wondering if this is what you would recommend. Though I am curious, what is the terrible thing that happens if one uses a warp with stupidly crooked paper?

Thank you!

Ginette
        Keymaster

Hi Khabira,

If the paper isn’t interfering with anything and it has done it’s purpose of covering each layer of your warp threads, I would just leave it.

When you’re winding on and you see the paper going crooked, you can help it along in the right direction by using your hand on the paper and guide (push or pull) it the opposite direction.  Jane shows this in episode 2.2 Season 1 at the 23:20 mark.  You can also cut the paper off when you know your warp threads won’t be covered on one side, refold the end of the paper to get a straight edge, place it back on and start winding on again.

Ginette

Khabira Wise
          Participant

Thanks, Ginette. My threads are covered so I shall carry on.

Somehow I seemed to have had some uneven tension in a couple areas of the warp (sad!) so I spent a great deal of time tugging and drawing out slack before each few turns of the warp beam so I didn’t ask the husband to help as I usually do, because it was taking forever, and I just wasn’t able to keep as close an eye on the paper.

If I start weaving and it’s too buggered up I’ll just start over … now that I’ve done the first multiple thread in the hand warp I won’t be so skeered of doing it again!

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Season 2 – Colour & Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.