Online Guild Episodes – video playback

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Online Guild Episodes – video playback

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Alastair
      Keymaster

I’ve put together some notes about video playback of Online Guild Episodes. If you have any issues or have managed to resolve your own problems with video playback, please post a reply.

The video plays but I can’t hear any audio

The video player within your web browser has its own volume control.  Move the cursor over the video and you should see the volume indicator located next to the HD button at the bottom right of the video. Clicking the rightmost bar of the volume indicator will set the volume to maximum. Make sure that you don’t have your computer’s volume set to maximum when doing this!

vimeo-volume

The video playback is choppy or interrupted

Try changing the playback quality. This can be done by moving the cursor over the video and clicking ‘HD’ at the bottom right of the video. Change the playback quality to the lowest quality setting, ‘360p’. If the playback is smooth, try moving to a higher setting.

vimeo-video-quality

I’m using the lowest video quality setting and the video playback is still choppy

It may be that your internet connection isn’t fast enough or suited to video streaming. We use Vimeo to stream our videos. Vimeo suggests a minimum bandwidth of around 2 – 5 Mbps for the lowest quality streaming video.

You can test your bandwidth by visiting SpeedTest and running its speed test. If your bandwidth is below 5 Mbps then your connection may need to be upgraded. At this point you should speak with your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to see what options are available to you.

Caroline
        Participant

Hey Alastair,  Thanks.  Jane was choppy last time.  I’ll try this.  I kept pressing pause/play.  It was Sunday so I thought maybe the internet was busy.  My youngest son has the same highland Scottish spelling of Alastair.

Caroline

Alastair
          Keymaster

Hi Caroline,

Let me know if you have any further problems. There’s a few other things we could try to help you get better playback quality.

Cheers,

Alastair

ps I salute your impeccable taste in names!

Jude Perkins
            Participant

Hi,

trying again to see and hear sett for wool.  The other sett plays just fine.  Please help?  Jude

Ginette
                Keymaster

Hi Jude,

I just tried both the wool and the cotton lessons and both are working fine on my computer.  Have you increased the volume on both your computer and the sound control on the right bottom of the video?

Ginette

Jan
                Participant

Staring with last segment last year, and co tinuing with the first segment this year, the video just blacks out.  I can’t getting it back on without restsrting from the beginning.  This has happened dozens of times.  Any ideas?

Jacqueline
                  Participant

Hi Jan, I am no techie and I had this happening to me quite often as well.  Now, before  I start to play the video the first thing I do is lower the playback down to 540p and it has worked fine for me ever since. The video quality is still very good. I hope that helps. I am using an iPad mini.

Jean
                    Participant

Just to let everyone know… if you have a Fire TV or Fire Stick, you can now use Silk (Amazon’s browser) or Firefox to watch the episodes on your television.  You just go to apps on the Fire and search for Silk or Firefox and download it.  Easy Peasy.  😉

Amanda
                      Participant

Is Jane considering any other video hosting service than Vimeo? I have NEVER had good experiences with Vimeo from anyone whose videos I consume. Every other streaming service works just fine, so I lay the blame fully at Vimeo’s feet.

My patience was tried very hard watching the latest episode. Every 1-5 minutes my screen blacked out, the service froze up and I had to refresh the page, advance the video to the correct time, and wait for it to start playing, only for it to die again. I sincerely hope this isn’t going to happen all year.

PS. I AM a techie and my internet is very fast and is not at all strained by streaming these videos, even at high quality. So the fault is not my internet.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Amanda.
                        Ginette
                        Keymaster

Hi Amanda,

Sorry that you’re having difficulties.  Alastair, our tech guy, will be in on Tuesday and I will let him know of the problems you are having.

Ginette

Ellen Black
                            Participant

My friend  just joined this morning, with my recommendation.  But she can’t play the video’s .

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Ellen Black.
                            Sandra
                            Keymaster

What issues is she having and what is she using to watch?  Has she been able to try out the suggestions in this thread?  It must be frustrating but we’ll work it out!

lwilson3329
                              Participant

Every time I commit my time to view the guild episodes the screen freezes.  I’ve tried various settings.  I hope that Jane recognizes the poor quality of this Video site and find a new provider.  At this rate I’ll never get through this learning journey.  Great quality when I do get to view them. Just very frustrating because it takes a lot longer due to constant freezing and having to reboot every time.

Sandra
                                Keymaster

twilson – sorry you are having video problems.  I’ll pass your difficulties onto our tech guru when he is in the studio on Tuesday.

Gail
                                  Participant

I am also having trouble with the videos.  Even when it seems to be working with no freezing, the video and audio are not synched.

Ginette
                                    Keymaster

Hi Gail, it could be your Internet, sometimes it can lag and have the audio out of sync.  Can you try again in a bit and see if it has resolved itself and let us know.

Ginette

Karen
                                      Participant

Hi

i am logged in. I can view lesson 1, parrot at the table.  But it keeps insisting I log in when I try to open parrot at the loom. Can you help?

karen

Ginette
                                          Keymaster

Hi Karen, let me get someone in the studio to look into it for you.

Ginette

Ashlee Bixby
                                          Participant

I am having trouble accessing Season 2 Episode 2. The forum keeps telling me I need to log in, but I am logged in. I have no trouble accessing other episodes, just this one. I’ve tried on both my laptop and my desk top computer, same-same. Anyone have suggestions?

Thank you in advance 🙂

Ginette
                                              Keymaster

Hi Ashlee, sorry you’re having problems viewing the episode.  I will message Alastair to look into it in the morning when he’s in the studio.

Ginette

Ginette
                                                Keymaster

Hi again Ashlee,

Could you try to clear your browser’s cache and then log back in.  Here’s a link on ‘how to’ that Alastair has provided.  Let us know if you’re still experiencing problems.

https://kb.iu.edu/d/ahic

Ginette

ETA:  here’s another option before trying clearing the browser’s cache that another member did and was successful which is a ‘hard fresh’.  Here’s the link, you can choose between a Mac or Windows

https://howtohardrefresh.com/

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Ginette.
                                                Florence
                                                Participant

I am not able to view the videos.  I have a MAC.  I’ve cleared the cache and history but still nothing.

Sandra
                                                  Keymaster

Forgive my silly question – but have you rebooted your Mac since clearing your cache?  If you have and things are still not working – I’ll alert the Studio.

Florence
                                                    Participant

I did it all again, including rebooting, and still nothing.

Alastair
                                                        Keymaster

Hi Florence,

sorry you’re having problems.

Could you try a hard refresh when you get to the page that you’re having problems with please?

This site should be able to tell you which keys and buttons to press on your browser: https://howtohardrefresh.com/

For some reason clearing the cache doesn’t work in 100% of the cases, which is super-weird.

Cheers

Alastair

Florence
                                                        Participant

Still not working.

Florence
                                                          Participant

The problem was ad-blocking software that had been added when I had my computer serviced recently.  Now removed and I can view the videos once again.

Sandra
                                                            Keymaster

Thank you for letting us know, Florence and we’re happy you can now binge watch Jane’s videos!  It’s always good to know how you solved an issue – it helps us trouble shoot if someone else has a problem.

Sue
                                                              Participant

Hope I’m in the right place to thank you so much for the closed captions . They make it so much easier for me to be sure I’ve heard Jane correctly. I still know what’s happening even if I’m having to share the room with other people and their noise.  The captions are brilliant.

I can’t find any other comments on them so hope the above will encourage you to continue with them!  Thanks again.

Jane
                                                                  Keymaster

So happy, the closed captions are making it better for you.  They sure can be funny to edit.  I didn’t realize I said so many daft things like, bonkie, bonkie, bonkie 🙂

Viewing 22 reply threads
                                                              • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.