Number of heddles

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Susan Ott 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Susan Ott
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 7
    • Totals: 12
    • Weaving wonder

Thanks.  I need to make time to watch all the seasons and make notes.  I thought I saw in some discussion that Jane had used more than one thread in a heddle which I had thought  was forbidden?  My cursory view of the PDFs show some great towel patterns which I’ll research further.

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 432
    • Totals: 459
    • Weaving wonder

One step at a time, Susan. 😉 You need one heddle for each thread in your warp. Also, you would be creating a totally different looking towel by changing the yarn and it would be about twice as wide! Each heddle looks after one thread in your warp so you would need to buy more heddles before you tried to weave that structure in 16/2, the weight of yarn they recommend in that pattern.

The pattern that caught your eye would be very different. Start making notes in a binder of the projects you might want to tackle when you have had some solid practice at your loom. Have you seen the amazing fabrics that Jane has collected in India? All done of 4 harnesses. Treat yourself to watching Season 2, as Sylvia recommended, and see and learn about all the amazing cloth you can design and weave on your four harnesses.

Susan Ott
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Thanks Sandra!  With 8/2 would I use half the heddles?  I just got iWeaveIt and am playing with drafting these in ways that make sense with what I’ve learned so far.  Haven’t watched season 2 yet.  Just got DH to screw my warping board to the wall.  One step at a time….

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 432
    • Totals: 459
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Susan, I just found the draft for the Sweet Simplicity Towels in Handwoven and it calls for 16/2 cotton, which is half the size of the 8/2 Jane has been using throughout Season 2. That’s why you need so many heddles! Sylvia’s idea is spot on, watch the Season 2 videos. There is sooo much you can do with Plainweave – leave the structure M’s and O’s (the structure used for those towels) until you and your loom are closer “friends” and you have purchased more heddles.

sylvia.lowry
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 21
    • Totals: 21
    • Weaving wonder

I don’t subscribe to Handwoven so I can’t look up those towels until the next time I go to my guild where I may find copies of those issues. I am curious though because to get all those threads down to 20 inches by my calculations, 696 and 581 divided by 20 equals about 35 and 30 epi which is a very fine thread—unless it is used doubled.

Jane Stafford has many examples of stunning cloth in plain weave by using stripes and a creative division of space. Check out those videos in Season 2. You can make your own recipe and feel very proud.
    Sylvia

Susan Ott
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

The ones I’ve chosen, winter’s end Huck from Jan/feb 2018 and sweet simplicity from March/April 2019 are both for 4 shaft and 20” width so I assumed they’d be fine for the Baby Wolf?

sylvia.lowry
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 21
    • Totals: 21
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Susan,
    It seems to me that these towels should be done on 8 shafts. What size are the towels? What is the yarn and epi? Even if the epi is 24, your towel would be too wide for a 24 inch loom. Try to find a pattern with fewer than 400 ends for 4 shafts or you will have to buy more heddles.
    Happy hunting.
    Sylvia

Susan Ott
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

I’ve picked a few towel patterns from Handwoven and both of them require far more heddles than I have.  One needs 581 and the other 696 on four shafts!  Do I need to buy more heddles?  If so, how many?  Or is there a way to increase the number of threads per heddle and how would I plan that?  Right now, I have about 100 per shaft.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.